1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Rajat Kumar Sinha, IMO the trick with MJD is to move quickly to 3rd gear and upwards. Accelerate just the right bit and not to exceed 90-100kmph on 5th gear; atleast for first few thousand kms. On a relatively straight lengthy road or highway, reset the trip meter (trip B) and drive in 5th with speed of 90-100kmph and recheck the FE at the end of the drive. You will get a good FE even now and in future at 80-100 kmph in overdrive. On upward inclines particularly those that cannot be managed in 3rd gear there will be obvious heavier fuel consumption giving you the FE you are now receiving; also if you cannot shift the gears just in time and quick enough. The engine should feel as stress-free as possible as quickly as possible.
    oxom likes this.
  2. oxom

oxom Novizio

Guwahati
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Bhai... your car looks really good. But is your car petrol or diesel? If it's petrol then the mileage I think is acceptable given that's it's new.Then if its diesel I would say it's very poor I think. I don't own a fait car but I was planning to get the avventura diesel but now you got me thinking;-);-)
  3. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hello oxom,

Rajath has mentioned that the car is 1.3L so it has to be MJD. Also mate don't worry about the FE numbers and they are mostly dependent on driving conditions and the driver too. I have a Line a MJD and I constantly update my thread with the FE details. Kindly check the same and I am sure you will be happy to see how efficient in terms of fuel consumption this heavy car is.

Link to my thread below, and you can check the last page which has all the FE log maintained from day1.

http://www.teamfiat.com/index.php?threads/13852/
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. acechip

acechip Superiore

No, I am not in the least surprised. They should be proud of their efforts. Especially if they have succeeded in some measure in changing the perception about the Etios Cross. Fiat needs to ask itself, how the hell can a lesser endowed variant succeed so much more than their own significantly altered variant ?
  5. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Hmm.. Toyota knows that India is a unwieldy country, and know how to shout to grab attention, else what the liva, etios and cross has got on offer?

Soon, MS would bring the SXcross with the name borrowed from sX4with ADOPTED child of. MJD at its heart and the rear design borrowed from Hyundai Getz and sales figures would exceed all three cars/brands mentioned.
  6. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Rajat Kumar Sinha : Congratulations on acquiring that beautiful ride. Though I am disappointed in the way Fiat again reared its ugly service by denying a requested paint colour. It is again lovely to see the Avvy in its natural surroundings. Judging by the photos we are seeing of the car in non-urban terrain, it looks like people are really enjoying its high GC and making full use of its capabilities. May you have many many miles of satisfied ownership, especially since you are in Dehradun and this car is made for such terrain.

Coming the FE, my guess is that since you live in hilly areas, you will have no choice but to rev constantly to keep it going. This will affect the mileage. But once you understand the way the turbo kicks in and the fact that this car can pull from any gear, you will understand how to work the gears. Being my first diesel engine, I took a little while to get used to the torque at low rpms and the turbo lag which is present unlike petrol engines. 1000 kms later, I have understood how to work the gears. You too will soon get it. Do not worry too much about the FE for now. Especially the overall average. If you are still feeling paranoid, then look at the instant FE on a relatively straight stretch when going at a constant speed. You will find it much higher.

Like @asimpleson has mentioned, try to get it to 3rd gear quickly to avoid engine stress. On inclines, do not rev too hard as the engine itself has enough torgue to gently pull. The trick is to stay in the correct gear otherwise you will find yourself getting stuck on a slope. In 5th, it will lazily cruise sipping fuel. Still, my guess is that you have too many inclines.

I don't think there is a 1000 km general checkup. It is 5000 kms. And please try to befriend the FASS mechanics. If there is a monopoly of only one FASS, then you are at their mercy. Ultimately, being nice has its benefits even if you have to swallow your ego. On the alignment issue, this is a known niggle and most times, it gets resolved with a simple swapping of the rear and front tyres and a wheel alignment. Do politely request the FASS to help. And enjoy your ride.
    asimpleson and prabhjot like this.
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Fiat knows its position well in India. They are not really interested in marketing much here. They are not idiots to have stayed in business for so long and still not understand the pulse of Indian customers. They are profitable and seem to be satisfied. So why get stressed?

Toyota has the reputation of being an extremely safe and reliable brand. Many people would look at the Avvy, sigh in desire and go buy the Etios Cross as it offers the backing and reliability of Toyota and hopefully the same riding pleasure as the Fiat. Besides, the Etios Cross ad is quite a head turner. Inspite of the car looking so ugly with the squarish cladding, they have managed to photograph only from the best angles. The joke is, the Avvy looks good from every angle (Punto and Linea alike). It is a beautifully designed car. And yet, if Fiat could not capitalize on it by making a decent ad, then they are simply not interested. Italians are artists. I know that because I follow Italian photographers, designers, painters. Their US ads with George Clooney are superb. It is not difficult to roll a similar one in India. But if they are not doing it, there's a reason. Sales does not seem to be a big botheration for them. So let them sell the engines, make the money, and stay profitable enough to keep giving us decent cars to drive.
    asimpleson, JohnyBoy and prabhjot like this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

What is interesting of course is that Toyota has achieved this gain in Etios/Liva and especially Cross sales without all that much advertizing. These are truly awful, and awfully priced, products in terms of what aspirational Indians typically want. They are ugly, utilitarian, are poor to the touch and feel, are noisy and unrefined, and are often or mostly taxi-s to boot. And yet they manage to sell 500-800 Etios Cross-es a month?

The underlying brand is accepted and trusted: people WANT to like (to buy) Toyota-s. Contrast this to the situation with the Fiat brand. One Toyota or Hyundai ad is worth 8 or 10 times a Fiat one, it seems, in sales efficacy. It is NOT clear that the rational thing for Fiat to do is advertize five or ten times as much as they're doing. Advertize differently rather than just expensively-more, sure, but how?

btw Hyundai is advertizing something they are calling the '3D experience', following the huge long running global 'Live Brilliant' one. 3D: 'driving pleasure', design 'finesse' and high 'performance'.

Ahem, cough.

Now in a market where they get to successfully label themselves in the very ways that are untrue of them of all car firms, namely that they are a 'brilliant' '3D'/ or multi-Dimensional car company (build and engineering matches design, with originality, and with plausible pricing), and successfully at that, what prospects do Fiats, properly 3D cars, have with their advertizing?

Of which there has been a fair bit surrounding the Avventura, and obviously effective too in that it would seem the market for cross versions has increased a lot since it was launched? It seems people like the Avventura (ad)....and head therefore straight to the Hyundai or Toyota showroom!:p
    asimpleson likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    They have their marketing, trust, reliability 'carved out' by Qualis and Innova primarily. Fiat cannot or will not be successful unless they can manage to pull off at least one, and better still two consecutive successes.

Maruti is still not proven as much in the upper bracket of vehicles as much as their management would like to see them succeed. Whatever happened to that SX4 ZDI; anyone?
  10. acechip

acechip Superiore

Hmm. A couple of months ago, my parents were ferried from Mumbai airport to Pune in an Etios. And guess what- my father loved the comfort and space of the rear seat, not to mention the smoothness of the ride. Was it equal or better than Linea, I asked. He said, space-wise, definitely better! and the backrest was just perfect in his opinion. And he said the driver maintained a steady 100-110 kph, and the engine (all of 68bhp) didnt feel strained at all inspite of 3 adults and holiday luggage.
    So maybe Toyota has designed an ugly car. But it works damn fine in the eyes of the everyday traveller. And I am told that the facelifted Etioses (2014 onwards) have further improved the fit-finish.