1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    heard fiat is trying to buy out or merge with "mazda or suzuki".

But analyst predict it will be suzuki that fiat will tie up the reason being the Indian market.

Lets see whether Fiat will be successful in buying out/partnering with suzuki where the mighty VW under Piech failed

but one thing is very clear that the suzuki management is "jack of all trades" the way they dealt with VW and it will take some effort by master trader Sergio Marchionne to bring them under his mould.
    prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  2. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Actually While most here sit & blast Fiat on it's numbers & strategy, Fiat is actually doing great. Better than most car companies around the globe & is now slated to be competitor to GM. So in a way Fiat is becoming the GM with many brands under it's fold.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Encountered the automag AutoBild (India Today group) at a bookstore. Picked it up for the cover story: Avventura against i20Active against Etios Cross. They had done a comparo of the Avventura with the Ecosport in dec 2014 in which the Avventura got their vote. We know how Autocar (but only in their TV show, the print comparo was neck-and-neck, and full of praise for the Avventura) did a hack/PR-assassination-job in the same comparo.

Well, they too have chosen the i20 Active over it, while praising it plenty of course, and doctoring their pseudo-objective ratings tally/table.

Anyway, all this is just as expected, and is a yawn.

What's truly interesting are the data from their testruns, insofar as they were done properly.

Avventura fe: ARAI 20.5 kpl but on their run.... 18.6 kmpl (- 1.9kpl)

while i20 Active: ARAI 21.1 kpl but on their run.... 16.9 (-4.2 kpl).

Now, either Fiat is excessively honest or Hyundai's dishonest! The latter, obviously, with the 'Active' 'cooperation' of ARAI, no doubt. Especially since the Avventura weighs 55 kg more than it. And the i20 Active has a sixth speed to its gearbox.

Hyundai, according to AutoBild claims that peak torque of 219 Nm comes in at as low as 1500 rpm, while Fiat says for the mjd 90hp on the Avventura it, 209 Nm, comes in at 2000 rpm. Now this is obviously a blatant lie from Hyundai, i've Tdriven the i20 elite and its peak torque is clearly MUCH later than 1500 rpm, more like.... well after 2000rpm.

The Autocar lady claimed in her version of this comparo that the Avventura mjd's peak torque comes in only at 2500 rpm, in order to accentuate the 'linearity' of the Hyundai diesel's turboboosting. Sigh. Someones are lying....and sure isn't Fiat!

0 to 60 km/h: Avventura 6.1s i20Active: 5.8s
    0 to 80 km/h: '' 9.6s '' 8.9s

BUT, get this!:

Driveability from 30 to 80 km/h: Avventura is as much as 4.1 seconds faster than the i20Active.
    And from 40 to 100 km/h: it is exactly 4 seconds faster.

The famously 'refined' Hyundai diesel (and Autobild, like the Autocar lady, praises it too) is betrayed by their own In cabin noise readouts at different speeds where....there is NO difference between the Avventura's mjd+"noisy wing mirrors, etc" and the i20Active's.

And here is the one that gives the game away, as far as i am concerned, not that I need any convincing about the wanton un-ethics of the Korean (and other East Asian) firm:

CO2 emissions for the mjd 90 hp are at 142g/km...while the Hyiundai's at 156 g/km, worse than even Toyota's primitive diesel on the Etios/Liva.

i.e., the Mjd 90 hp is, to be truthful now....just better.

I had posted months ago very similar statistics, and statistical discrepancies, from Autocar's print edition comparo between the Avventura and the Ecosport (New Year's edition, Jan 2015.)

Anyway: if Autocar India and AutoBild India, franchisees of two of the world'd oldest and 'best'/respected automags cannot even present objective facts honestly and accurately: what chance does a brand like Fiat, with a patina of mis-trust from years ago about ASS etc, have in the wider market (beyond knowledgeable 'enthusiasts')?

There are so many bloopers that the 2 mags have knowingly made in order to do the PR job for Hyundai: the 2 warranties are as good....except that they aren't. The Fiat ICE cannot play mp3 files? No mention of Blue&Me, No mention or consideration of the whole, should-be-OBVIOUS, rationale for an external spare-wheel, namely ease of tyre-changing in case of a puncture, etc.

PS: Hyundai is STILL a copycat and a pirate, like they used to be. 'Kitsch piracy', I'd say: even the seat fabric design and colours are a straight, literal copy of the Avventura's. To go with the orange dashboard and other inserts (from the AutoExpo showcar Avvy), the alloy wheel design, and of course the pirated-from-Alfa tail-lamps.

Ah well.:yawn::dead:
    amitshedha, gklc811, Amit Rox and 4 others like this.
  4. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot Indians are not mature enough to look past the ARAI numbers and the word "resale Value" (I don't see any point in this one ).

Resale value ..have a 10,00,000 rupees car for 5 years 10,00,000/5years = Rs. 550 per day... Which means you have almost killed the car in 5 years

Ciaz claims 26kmpl but the actual value my friend got in a highway is 18.2 kmpl @ 50 - 80 kmph (mostly coasting). Avventura also gives the same value even though it claims 6km less per litre

About that sudden surge in the 90Hp , I don't see anything like that the avvy 90hp takes you to 100 without you knowing it in seconds .....
    During my TD I didn't do a 0-100 count but the avvy went there in no time .... And there was 15.4kmpl on the MID of the test drive car...which is pretty good

If the i20 active scores in material quality and rear space , well avventura scores in exterior and interior - live over the years - build and the most reliable engine

Unless Indian government constraints on road tax waiver like in Europe for emissions and till Indians stop craving for ARAI claimed false mileage fiat will be like this stage .. Making awesome cars only for fiat lovers
  5. vijai

vijai Novizio

coimbatore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Do we have official power rating of upcoming Tjet EVO/Avventura? I see some automags say it as the engine is tuned up to provide 135 BHP but the current Tjet linea has only 114 :|
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    In the Business Standard tody, the Toyota senior marketing manager is quoted as attributing their steep 25-30% growth in year on year sales to the enhanced demand for the Etios, Liva and especially, he says, the huge demand for their......Etios Cross.

"Lord have mercy!":p:pompous:
    amitshedha and Ganges like this.
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot : we all know this is happening. And we all know the skewed tendencies in India. We are a race of ultra safe people. Most Indians have only one chance to buy a new car in their lifetimes. And they would like to make it count. Fiat represents the aspirational class who like a bit of fun and are willing to take risks. That is a small sample. So just enjoy your Fiats. Me? I suddenly have a craving to get a GTX and do it up. That will give me the best enthusiast hatch in India.
    sanjay_mugur, prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  8. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Rajat Kumar Sinha, Congratulations for your new ride. Yes, definitely the FE is going to improve down the line. Please keep track of your driving style and notice FE. If you are too hard on accelerating or driving in uphill area, you may get little less. Some time you may need to change your driving style to get the best output from the car.

If nothing helps, you should definitely visit FASS. For minor complain or issue, you don't need to ask for general checkup. You car is brand new and under warranty. Raise a complain and take you car to service center. They should assist you for free.

I must say you and car looks like made for each other and background is also very nice....
    --- Double Post Merged, May 3, 2015 ---
    @Rajat Kumar Sinha You can follow https://www.teamfiat.com/threads/mileage-of-fiat-avventuta-93-hp-209-nm-torque.14135/
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Rajat Kumar Sinha and prabhjot like this.
  9. Rajat Kumar Sinha

Rajat Kumar Sinha Timido

Dehradun
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Kindly see the FE

20150503_103101.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, May 3, 2015 ---
    recent visit

20150416_155959.jpg

20150416_160013.jpg

20150416_160054.jpg

20150416_160101.jpg

20150416_160245.jpg
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Why don't you keep an eye on the instantaneous mileage readout on the MID and correlate that with speed, inclines, gear and rpm number? That way you'll get a better sense of how to adapt your pattern of gear shifting@right rpm@right speed to the engine: you sound like you are often failing to keep the engine in its turboband enough. Sometimes it is better, for example on inclines, to not upshift early (for example). To drive in the hills you need to be particularly aware of the gearing-rpm-torque pattern.

Beautiful pics, btw, just the ecology for the Avventura!

All the best with your dealer and FASS, 'manage' them carefully, build a rapport. Small dealer in a small town from a small/niche car company, you see? Ask any technical questions you need to here.