1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    One of my friend, got a 2014 manufacturered Avventura diesel emotion @8.5L after discounts this month. I got it for 9L in Jan. 18ec74a8dc427a861315473f22715d7a.jpg

He has got same spare wheel rattle issue, for which I suggested same tape solution 0f7315086733119eacd586efa433936a.jpg
  2. Whencut86

Whencut86 Amatore

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi! I live in Chennai and currently drive a Honda Brio. I am happy with the Brio and love the iVtec engine. Brio is a hoot to drive. But my concern for safety and a good solidly built car is making me think about a Fiat. Brio is 3+ years old and thinking of changing it early. My options were City, Duster AWD, Ecosport, Avventura and Linea TJET. City disappointed me with build quality. I still love the iVtec and City will be a joy to drive. But thin sheet metal for doors, boot lid and at top puts me off. Duster I am yet to test drive but 16 lakhs on-road for Duster is a big stretch on the budget for me. Ecosport is also pricey in my opinion but is solidly built car. Good to drive but A-Pillar hindering visibility during normal driving is a big design flaw in Ecosport. Been reading a lot of forums about Fiat cars. Build quality, ride and handling in Fiat cars got me interested. Love the Punto (drive one in NFS :p though not in reality). After the launch of Avventura, I love the Avventura's looks and design. Its unique and good in its own way. Did a test drive of Avventura last week this is what I felt.

I did a test drive of the Avventura and loved it. Coming from a brio I am very impressed with the build quality of the Avventura. Suspension is a massive improvement from a brio. Sorry to compare with a brio but since I own one my views are relative to brio. The doors close with a thud. Love the feel. The rear seat space is just adequate. Me being the 6footer in family and rest all being less than 5.7, guess I can manage the space. Boot space is good and if required we can add cross bars on roof rails and accommodate more luggage. The rear spare wheel and boot lid opening can be tricky in tight parking places but I guess I can live with it. Going to buy a CUV style vehicle and won't complain about rear wheel. Rear parking sensors and rear camera are needed since I am used to a rear glass hatch in the brio. Coming from a petrol iVtec I actually didn't feel any turbo lag. Maybe my driving style is like that since I rev up a brio and drive it quite fast in city as well. My test drive was in heavy traffic, roads with undulations, big speed breakers and a big free stretch. I was actually pondering how would it be to drive Avventura in traffic. The moment I drove out of showroom I was greeted by traffic and didn't feel too much turbo or sluggishness navigating in stop and go traffic. The gear shift is good and smooth and I now feel Brio's gear shift is notchy in first 2 gears. The clutch is super light in 1.3 MJD and loved it. The clutch travel is more than brio and I guess I have to get used. After having used a light steering previously I actually got a feel of what steering feedback is like. The hydraulic power steering is a joy to drive and I didn't find it tough in city speeds and I was also able to do high speed u turns and curves.find my brio steering to be dull now after the test drive :p . one more thing is that I love the way the 1.3 mjd behaves. Good amount of torque. In an open stretch of road before I could even realize I was doing speeds of 90-100. When I checked the speed I was surprised that the needle was over 90 kmph mark. Avventura is deceiving in this way. I am sold on its looks and capabilities.
    I love the Zaffrano orange but after seeing a red one on roads I love the red as well. Need to decide between the two. Will take one more elaborate test drive of Avventura by asking Ramkay fiat to bring one home for test drive and drive in my neighborhood to test its ride and handling more.

Also was almost certain to go with the Avventura but then news about a 135 BHP T-JET Punto/Avventura Abarth which came 2-3 days back is making me think now. If the Punto Abarth will come in festive season which is like 4-5 months from now I don't mind waiting for Punto Abarth. Meanwhile I will also test drive a Linea TJET to get a feel how TJET drives.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @Whencut86 , good write up. It was honest, and I could feel your emotions when you compared the Avvy and the Brio on each count. I feel sorry for the guys who are really missing the real car feel when it is available in our country but are sold on all other aspects except the drive and handling feel. This is the reason one doesnt leave the Fiat fold unless the reasons are very compelling.

Abdul
  4. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Absolutely. What I suggest is you still do a comprehensive test drive of the avventura. As for the TJet, honestly this being Fiat they'll test the hoots out of it before the launch & that could mean waiting probably more than festive season. Even being positive if the Fiat does launch the Tejt Avvy, it'll be a good jump over the 90Hp, So maybe it'll be a whole lot of stretch for you.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Whencut86 you got just the right attitude and right amount of reasonable judgement to own a Fiat Avventura. I am sure you will love the finer aspects even more once you own a Fiat. Do check out all their products as you plan, even the 90hp Punto and also the existing T-jet if available on better offers.
  6. ayushman

ayushman Timido

guwahati
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I have not driven a more Calm, Confident ,Comfortable and Reassuring car in the city than the Avventura.Period...i felt no lag whatsoever,i drive a FIGO TDCI 1.4..also sampled a 5 series left hand drive in the US, but that's for another set of objectives entirely.
    Also want a change from our two Fords.the other is IKON.1.4 tdci:happy:.....come Jan15 though:yawn:. IKON will stay.

Fiesta is Just Brilliant, BUT, need a Higher seating position and Feel.

Wondering how it would fare with waterlogged areas in our monsoons...a wading depth of 300mm probably at the most given its GC of 205 mm.just to be on the safe side.

@Whencut86, straight from the Heart:happy:.
  7. Whencut86

Whencut86 Amatore

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @jumu True that. I am not too keen on bluetooth, soft touch interiors, cushion seats or engine start stop switch. These are secondary to me. Safety, Build quality, ride and handling are what matters most. A.S.S if not great atleast has to be decent. Sir, seeing that you live in Chennai, which is the better dealer of these two Ramkay Fiat or RDC Fiat?

@kk27 Autocar and Overdrive forums have posted that it will launch for festive season. Hope so. Will test Linea and 90BHP Punto Evo as well meanwhile. I can wait for 3-4 months anyway. Even if it is priced a lakh over 1.3MJD, considering that it is 135BHP I might be willing to stretch that far :p but I have decided that my next car will definitely be a Fiat.

@asimpleson : Thanks! Guys like you and hardcore Fiat enthusiasts here and in other forums made me sit up and notice FIAT and made a Honda fan like me switch to being a Fiat enthusiast. Hoping to own one in 3-4 months time.
  8. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Don't wanna put you off or discourage, but I feel if it's the same Tjet with a different state of tune, the mileage will suffer significantly in real world usage. My Palio 1.6 is an amazing car, but it's just not a practical car to be commuting with, I commute by motorcycle :). I doubt if it's a completely new engine!!!
    asimpleson likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    That's a valid point @kk27, we do not know how much tradeoff there will be with regards performance and FE with that suggested more BHP rating. Unless there are some extensive measures to ensure a sufficient mean fuel efficiency is guaranteed. @whitepunto76 generally existing Tjet owners are more than happy with performance aspects of the vehicle and the fact that it still manages to deliver good reasonable FE is a good reason for them to use it more for daily running needs. Otherwise you always have the tiny-mighty mjd to choose from for those extensive running needs.. :)
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Whencut86 : It is nice to know that you are giving Fiat a chance to figure in your shortlist. Their cars are really quite exceptional when you look for driving character. Like you, even I went through quite a long list of cars and test drives but found the handling and safety the best in Fiats. The 1.3 MJD seems to offer me the best of both. Adequate performance and nice mileage. No cause of complaint really.

However, please do drive the Linea and the Punto 90HP too. Both are great cars. My first option for the Punto Evo but then decided to take the Avventura due to its high GC which works well on our freckled roads. The ECU is also remapped slightly different from the Punto. The turbo lag is a little less although its only a matter of managing it correctly. The suspensions are fantastic as in all Fiats.

Coming to the TJet, a friend of mine owns the Linea TJet. He is very happy with its performance and really does not care about the mileage. When asked, he said his FE was around 10 kmpl or less. Other TJet owners on this forum will be able to give you specific details. But I find that the MJD is more than enough for the city and frugal enough on the highways.