1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat After Sales (Mumbai) - Deal breaker?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Calvinv, May 24, 2015.

1. acechip

acechip Superiore

Duster and Linea , although essentially FWD, monocoque designs, have a different driving profile in my opinion.
    Consideration for a Duster : flexible, high volume luggage space, high ground clearance, rough terrain ability, extremely high ride quality, economical , reliable yet powerful enough performance from 85 or 110 BHP engine. Also, a requirement for seating 5 adults comfortably.
    Consideration for Linea-T-Jet: fantastic highway performance, corner carving at near illegal speeds, awesome steering feel- in short- a proper drivers car in 10 odd lacs for those who feel like Hamilton/Vettel on occasion. But if you dont feel like crossing 100kph regularly or indulge in any of the above thrills, you may get suddenly tired of the steering heaviness at low city speeds (the feel comes from heaviness), the inordinate length, causing parking problems and the large turning circle, not to mention ingress-egress issuesfor elders (if applicable), which is common for a hatch/sedan. You will also realise you cant seat 5 adults comfortably.
    If luggage capacity and 5 passenger comfort is not a priority yet high GC is, you can give the Avventura a shot. But I believe the rough terrain ability of Duster will be a tad superior to the Avventura, with its longer suspension travel and better approach/departure angles.
    dadasaheb, Calvinv and asimpleson like this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Calvinv, Avventura is an all rounder of a vehicle, a little bit of everything as I prefer to call it. What you cannot control most often is the terrain condition (the roads in middle of pot holes) you will have to drive on; where the Avventura's improved stance and stronger springs and souped up undercarriage for handling tougher road conditions is a big plus in my opinion. Also at this purchase price point, you could enjoy the added benefits of FE and range of a diesel which feels much like a petrol in the upper gears and higher speeds.

Your doubts are totally justified esp. if you've owned a Siena :D
    It was the ultimate scapegoat of Fiat's 'unreliable engineering' and 'white elephant' image created by mechs and parts dealers who made a killing on Uno-Siena pretending as if these were some imported vehicles which need ultra expensive OEM stuff. And man did the dealers have mercy on those gullible customer; definitely not!
    And it was totally a fallacy which I am glad to discuss someday on some other thread or occasion should you want to.

Fiat has now for a long time ensured transparency in spares and labour and again to re-iterate an important point 'regulated', 'dictated' rates to the dealers in the larger interest of customers. As soon as you take delivery of Avventura or Tjet :) just ping via PM and the enthusiastic Mumbai Fiat owners group will offer pro-active dos and donts advice right from spares to diagnostics to preventive maintenance and what not, via Whatsapp too.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 27, 2015 ---
    The gully mechanics from Mumbai whom I spoke to admitted that they were pissed off with Palios etc. also because these were rather complex for them to fix; because in reality they are incompetent and were overwhelmed by this type of european engineering which was new for those Maruti quick fix repair experts. Let them claim of repairing Audis and Bimmers and Mercs, but they often botch up things for lack of basic understanding and tools and carelessness at the expense of poor customer. In Mumbai I have seen the street corner mechanic's advice is what many customers solicit and quite often that is a blunderous thing while choosing a supposedly low maintenance car. This is one of those things driving 'diktha hai woh bikta hai' irrespective of whether you offer them gold value at the price of copper.
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Calvinv, ghodlur and prabhjot like this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

How's the 'build quality' (a many dimensional even if slightly mythical thing!:p) on your Duster? Am sure the suspension and the engine can take all possible beatings, but not sure about the rest of the car! Your sense, though it is early days?
  4. acechip

acechip Superiore

Well, one would never ever want to experience the build quality in that sense isn't it?
    But in general, while it doesnt feel Fiat like in some places like that much revered thud sound of doors , it seems decently tough. Not flimsy, not overtly heavy. Interestingly, the doors feel heavy enough to open from inside than from outside.
    It also feels sufficiently heavy while steering. You do get the feel of a tonne & quarter car.But not overtly so.
    asimpleson, prabhjot and Calvinv like this.
  5. sidnaique

sidnaique Timido

Goa
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot @Calvinv Tata Fiat @Auto Industries in Goa 'sucks to the core'. The TATA attitude is toxic to FIAT. I have heard enough horror stories and @Calvinv now yours is a latest addition to the list. Simply put, they treat each and every vehicle like Nano(No offence).
    I did not want to risk it even with my first service, so went straight to Sutaria Fiat in Belgaum (NH4A) and it was worth it... Not a flashy place but they will listen to everything that you have to say and make sure its attended to to your satisfaction.
    Calvinv and prabhjot like this.
  6. Calvinv

Calvinv Timido

Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    An update:
    1. Early on, a member here confirmed that the new Linea's back seat does not fold down. That therefore had to exit the equation as I was upgrading for a LOT more cargo space.
    2. My beloved Wagon R got sold sometime in September last year. Didn't have a replacement for a while. But kept my eyes wide open on the Used Car forums. Plenty of 2wd Dusters available, and I knew there was no way I'd get an AWD, but really kept being patient...
    3....which got rewarded in the end of Jan, where I suddenly got a year old AWD for a price I could just about afford!
    It literally came 6 days before a long road trip from Mumbai>Karnataka>Goa>Mumbai.
    Super fun, and was really Blessed!

One last piece of unfinished business: I never did get to drive the TJet.
    So an open invitation for any Mumbai based Lines TJet/Punto Abarth owners: on a Sunday morning, let's meet up at the beginning of the Mumbai Pune Expressway, exchange rides and you get to see what the fuss is all about regarding the Duster AWD.
    PM me if interested, will exchange contact details.
    God Bless, safe roadtrippin
    Cal.