1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Aegea Spotted Undisguised: Could be the Linea Replacement for India!

Discussion in 'Fiat Global News' started by antony1405, Sep 7, 2015.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I think FIAT India will launch this car for our grand children with 1.3 MJD 90HP avataar saying that there is no market for 1.6 MJD in India. lol
    Raj_pol and Vikrant Joshi like this.
  2. Vikrant Joshi

Vikrant Joshi Regolare

Pune
    A few years back I used to visit Fiat global just to see the new models and wishing they could launch them soon.....and its still the same now ( well Abarth Punto did take a lot of time)
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    This car is apparently 80 kg lighter than the Linea, and has 80% higher torsional rigidity in its chassis. While the hatch as well as other versions destined out of Turkey for the Western and Northern European markets will likely have an independent rear suspension, the Turkish Aegea cars will have torsion-beam rear suspensions, just like the Linea does.

However, it's notably bigger in all dimensions, internal and external, than the Linea, which already is somewhat of a tweener: size-wise between the c- and d-segments.

And so pricing this car in India at Linea-prices, which are the best-in-segment currently, will be tough indeed.

However, the reason it is called the Aegea 'project' and not just one model suggests that the costing/pricing is ENTIRELY a function of platform, powertrain and module/sub-assembly sharing across models extending from this car to the JEEP c-suv and Renegade/500X/500L, as well as a globalised component-supply chain at EXTREMELY competitive costs, given the massively depreciated Turkish and Brazilian currencies, not to mention the less-so-but-still-very-depreciated Indian one too.

And so one supposes they do not have to be able to export fully-built rhd cars in the Aegea series out of India (there will be very limited demand for rhd, Fiat-branded cars) to achieve very competitive costing and pricing: component, engine, transmission etc exports, as well as economies of scale via sharing with one or both of the high-export-demand, new small JEEPs to be made in Ranjangaon (c-suv + renegade) might do the trick?

Aegea sedan at say 10-13 lakhs? Aegea hatch in crossover format also in that price range, i.e., 'New Avventura'? And.....either the 500L trekking or the 500X (lower-cost indian avatar via eg simpler cheaper suspension) at say 13 to 16/17 lakhs, as the flagship model? With their platform and powertrain sharing mate the Jeep c-suv sits at 19 to 26 lakhs, and a smaller Jeep (Renegade or the planned sub-Renegade model?) too? With the Abarth Punto and Avventura perhaps continuing as desi/affordable sports-cars?

i.e., FCA should perhaps abandon the Punto, sub-8/9 lakh segments altogether!

Meanwhile an optimisation of the size and composition of the FIAT dealerships is essential, even as the new, better and more expensive JEEP ones go on-stream: fewer, especially in the big cities, but more robust financially, and more active at local marketing/promotions, with more small, inexpensive, independent (non-dealer) FASS workshops established on the RS motors model in Mumbai. Plus, an open, advertized tie-up with the likes of Mahindra First Choice or Bosch for ASS services and spares.
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    If so then myself and many like me may not be in discussion with ourselves on this forum . We are all here because we can buy FIATs like Punto /linea starting from 6 to 9 lakhs:)

Abdul
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @jumu

Yes that is right and true.

However, given very low-to-negligible export-out-of-India demand for (redone, lightened etc) Palio-platform cars, it's very very unlikely FIAT-branded cars can achieve the economies of scale of sales and demand for sub-8/9 lakh rupee cars: that's the lagged, burdensome legacy-effect of the brand among the less informed and the risk averse, i.e., 90-95% of buyers out there in the Indian car mass baazar. Which is why it's great that they're pushing the Abarth Punto and Avventura at around 10 lakhs + or -, since these cars REALLY offer very very compelling reasons for even a Fiat-wary car buyer to 'make the move'.

BUT: if they bet fully on the SUSW platform strategy for all Fiats and Jeeps made in India, one sub-10lakh model (i.e., the new aegea-based, susw palio/punto for and from brazil) might still make economies-of-scale sense, even with tiny export numbers for the rhd car-as-a-whole?
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

After mexico, where the Fiat Tipo/Aegea sedan is the 'Dodge Neon' so is the case in the UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etcetera ('Middle East'): it is launching as a Dodge, the ME being extremely usa-style/brand friendly, unlike Asia ex-china.

Meanwhile the Jeep Compass, it turns out, has the exact same wheelbase as the Tipo sedan (same platform, very different i.e., all-independent and much tougher, suspension architecture.

It is also very much the case that the Tipo/Renegade/Compass/500X susw(4x4) will spawn, by 2018, a Fiat Toro-like 7-seat or 5+2 seat 'new Fiat Freemont' and 'new Chrysler (not Dodge) Journey' too, likely for build mainly in Mexico for export to the usa and to europe, as well as the Middle East (as a Dodge?)

Later, once the new China jv for 'Chrysler' and whatever-other-non-JEEP-brand is up and running (by 2018) there is VERY likely to be a luxed-up avatar of the Fiat Tipo sedan (and SW?) as a CHRYSLER, most likely in some sort of mild-ish hybrid form. The China jv will focus on phev vehicles under the Chrysler brand, alongwith possibly Alfa Romeo ckd-s, definitely also for export back-to-the-usa.

imo, and making a very-informed guess here: India could/will, come 2019/2020, also become a rhd-re-export base for one or two of these Tipo/jeepCompass-based, but Chrysler/Dodge-branded vehicles, with exports to rhd Australia, japan, thailand, etc and the UK, being the focus, including esp of hybrids. Going-up against, at notably less-expensive prices: the German luxury ranges+Volvo+JLR, with (mild) hybrids being THE focus, alongwith the terrific new Chrysler stylishness and plushness (as shown on the pacifica minivan and the C 200.)

NOTE: around-2020 is when the severe new CAFE and emissions norms are kicking-in, in earnest, in Europe, China, the usa and India too (possibly.) That is also the timeframe by which hybrid tech will become very cost-competitive with diesels due to much lower battery costs. The FCA hybrid system first-available on the Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Hybrid phev is very technically advanced, and quite an inexpensive choice of electric architecture, using a lot of proprietary tech, making it rather cost competitive for deployment even on some non-luxury models (i.e., not just say Maserati or Jeep but also all Chryslers and even a few Fiats.) For large growth in Asia, ex-china, the Chrylser brand is likely how they will go for the less luxury/less-sporty segments, NOT Fiat (come 2018-2020). Exported out of China (lhd and hybrids), and maybe, but viably is my guess: India (rhd.) Meanwhile the focus is entirely, in Asia (including China and India) on Jeep and also Maserati+AlfaRomeo(2017 onwards.)
    amitshedha likes this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fiat/tipo/97479/fiat-tipo-vs-skoda-rapid-vs-citroen-c4

The Fiat Tipo is being seen, EVEN in the pro-German UK press, as simply the better car (quality+value) than the european Skoda Rapid (=Indian Skoda Octavia.)

It continues to gain sales month-on-month in nearly every European country, and is a major play by FCA in the executive-leasing+rental fleet market in Europe, a sector that is huge, getting-bigger, and utterly dominated by the subsidised Financing from the German firms (europe wide: VW+Skoda+Seat+Audi, BMW and Daimler.)

They've sold about 35,000+ so far this year in Europe, plus 25,000+ in Turkey, with the StationWagon variant launching only last month. The SW segment is far larger than the sedan one in most European countries (ex-UK.)
    amitshedha likes this.