1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat 500

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by arpenkar, Sep 10, 2011.

1. arpenkar

I have been a keen (albeit silent) reader of your post on the 500. Appreciate the effort!

Nice to talk to you again

I see you are in Kings-country, I am in Chargers-land, down by the border.

About the driving experience, the 500 is sold in 3 flavors here and the one i had in hand was the "Sport". There is a button of that name on the dash that is supposed to make the handling more responsive and peppier and as per the manual, should be the preferred mode while riding through winding hilly roads and such. Dint use that much because was more focussed on getting FE (think the Maruti series of ads...kya karein...we are a nation obessesed with mileage)

The car was a 6-gear auto, but the gears were the tip-tronic kinds - a first time experience for me. I wont claim to be an expert here, but the response from the engine seemed adequate. I did manage to mess with some Mustangs while on an uphill gradient and did beat the sh*t out of them. Also, being a smaller vehicle and the traffic getting heavier, was able to meander between lanes. A very satisfying and zippy experience overall. I managed to get an FE of around 31 mpg with 2 person payload and AC operational at around 22deg C all throughout my trip of around 700 miles.

The suspension was more geared towards sportiness and at some points while curving at high speeds, it felt a tad bumpier than normal. The seating is on a slightly lower level and hence some tall people might have issues with the rear-view mirror and line of sight.

Next up am gonna post some interior and some bling bling close-ups and also the brochure for this. Fiat USA has unbelievable amount of choices when it comes to customizing this car. The amount of choices makes me think that almost everyone who buys this, will have a very unique car!
  2. chrajesh

chrajesh Timido

Hi arpenkar, Oops! please ignore my previous posting i mistook the post as cyberdoctorind hence i referred his name in my earlier message... its nice to see your ride and writeup about Fiat 500 Enjoy the drive...also i wanted to know whether you can hire a EVO Abarth essesse since i heard it was available now in USA, the new esseesse looks were really stunning... BTW do post few more pics..Takecare..!

Looking forward to your road-trip images and writeup as well
  3. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    what a lovely car
  4. arpenkar

Wow...u beat me to the red cherry!!

Now more snaps...

Door Panel.jpg

Under the bonnet.jpg

5. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    such great details to this car. the steering the door lever the head rest and the bose music system. give us some more pics. this car is a classic
  6. arpenkar

As with many other people, I am a little stupified with the FIAL marketing strategies. In the Fiat 500, they have a great product(again). And they are selling it for approx. 7.5-9.5L INR (converted value) here in the US. With more localization, they could it sell it for a tad less in India as well. Question is: Why dont these pea-brains do just that? Heck, I would buy 2 for my family if at that price point.

I guess they brought this over as a CBU priced in the 15-16L range and at that range, I would be thinking a loaded Civic or something....
  7. Arpenkar, the equation is simple. The greed of our governments makes the cars costly and they come with little or less options. The base price of the car lets say is around 5 L add to that 14% of Vat + 12-14 % road tax + 10 % approx + some sales tax (state / central/ congress / pawar / kalmaadi tax ) and the insurance is what makes end price above reach. if I am a manufacturer I expect some profits. Here in the Us the manufacturers easily break-even with host of facilities but in our case they have to work on a bargain. No wonder we don't get good engines, substandard offerings and very less value of money for the vehicles sold here. God save our nepotistic infected country. These are my 2 cents and just an approximation on what I have analysed.

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.764112,-121.254820
  8. Tron

Tron Superiore

@cyberdoctorind, your 500 got some real nice skirts! Cherry Red is looking amazing on 500! If you can, please try to post your driving experiance & some interior pics.

@arpenkar, really nice write up! As you said you checked out my 500's post, you must have noticed interior diff. in this indian model. I think the dash-board of your 500 is having metallic white paint, whereas the 500 i saw wasn't painted in metallic finish. Even it wasn't tip tronic. Engine in indian 500 is still old school multijet. Atleast they should introduce mutijet 2 or multiair.
    Here in india 500 was as flop as foard 'FUSION'. Whereas car is pretty iconic & historic from Fiat's legend.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  9. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Dear friend,

The 500 u saw was Italian made.A Completely Built Unit in Italy.Those interiors on the US 500 are to meet US quality standards.So there's an obvious difference between the two cars.500 was never made in india.BTW It's an brazilian one.FIAT has a plant in Brazil.