1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Few suggestions for better user experince on forum

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Improvements' started by Viny, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Restricting new members from starting new threads is a bad idea.I had never thought that a member of this forum will have such a high handed idea.
    In fact I had thought that new members are even more passionate about their car and are full of love towards their car.
    Does being an old member or posting more messages make anyone more disciplined or knowledgeable? .I have owned this car for nearly 5 years now and this is the 5th car in the family and I still do not even know to open the bonnet. Does that make me a bad member?
    Please welcome newbies with open arms.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Bala,

I am surprised and apologize you feel that way. It is definitely not high handedness. It has nothing to do with number of posts or knowing to open the bonnet or not. The intention was to try and keep the forum free of clutter. Obviously, it has not been considered or implemented.

The suggestion was due to the number of new threads started, asking a question that has been answered multiple times before, without even doing a basic search and without even introducing themselves.

If there is a restriction on starting new threads, NOT ON POSTING, I felt that members will get into the habit of searching first.

I apologize again, if I have hurt your sentiments by making this suggestion.

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  3. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

I'm not in favor of any restriction(s), but if there has to be one, I have a better idea. Members with less than 25 (50 or 100, whatever number the admins deem fit) posts will have their threads approved by a moderator before it can go live.
    2 people like this.
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    The TFI forum link was down today for sometime or i could not access it from internet also now i notice that some links throw up a database error message. please check this..
    Thank you
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Admins are looking into the issue.
    Only "Toda's Post" link is not working, all other options/links are working fine.
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    I am seeing a strange issue while using IE 11. The user details (near your avtar) are going out of margin in a thread. But the same is working fine with Firefox. Has anyone faced this ? Of course I can skip using IE, but just wanted to know whether it is a common problem or not. Any settings that need to be changed ?

Desktop.jpg
  7. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I have the same issue while exploring with IE.
  8. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Another twist in the story. Came back home & checked in my home PC. No issues at all in IE 11. So is it anything to do with the version of Windows ?
    Office machine I am using Windows 8.1 & Home PC Windows 7. This is really weird .
  9. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Is there a way to view the thumbnails of all the images posted in a thread? Like a gallery, where we can scroll and select a particular image for viewing, rather than the cumbersome process of opening each image individually and then moving onto the next. Some threads that run into hundreds of pages have numerous images, it's easier and more meaningful to browse through the images first (like a mini slideshow) than read all the pages or open the images one by one.

While posting new attachments in a thread, I'm not able to view my previously uploaded images, although I've selected the 'thumbnail' option. There is only a question mark displayed in place of the thumbnail image.

Though these might be my isolated problems, a clarification would be very helpful.

Also, I feel, the titles awarded to the members, like 'esperto' or 'superiore' etc, should reflect more on the knowledge, helpfulness and the quality of posts of a member rather than the number of posts by him/her. The gradation can be on the 'likes received' basis instead of 'number of posts'. This, in my opinion, can reduce value-less posts to a certain extent.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    A 'poke' option would be helpful too (for cases where despite the use of the 'quote' option in a reply, queries stay unanswered).
    The option to tag a person in a reply (for ex, through the use of @xxx) can reduce frequent use of 'quote' in threads.

* time limit exceeded, hence the new post. Moderators, please merge this post with my previous one *
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013