1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Few queries on Punto Evo Dynamic 1.2

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gShrey, Dec 28, 2014.

1. gShrey

gShrey Timido

Mahadevpura
    bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.2
    Hey guys,
    I bought my 1st car Fiat Punto evo 1.2(Tuscan Wine) 2 months back in bangalore. Have completed some 1600 Kms. The ride till now was fantastic. I have a 2 queries:

1. Last week i took the car to Nandi hills. During uphill most of the time i was driving on 1st or 2nd gear and had used hand break a lot. After some time i started getting smell very similar to the one you get when rubber burns. Initially i thought its coming from somewhere outside but later i realized it was coming from the car. Is this because of excess usage of break in the new car? I have driven my friends car (not fiat) before but never experienced this.

2. Yesterday while going to bannergatta national park i felt as if the gears stick have loosened a bit. Its not as tight as before. Is this fine or something to worry about?

3. Mileage fluctuates a lot, it varies between 11Kmpl to 13.5 Kmpl. What should be an ideal mileage i should get? Or is too early to thing about mileage as not even 1 service is done yet?

Thanks.
    Shrey
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    1. Was there so much traffic uphill that you had to stop several times on incline? Anyways using handbrake to start on incline is okay. while driving downhill you should try to control the speed with gears to avoid excess usage of brakes. It also results in better control. Trick is to drive downhill in the same gear which you used when driving uphill at respective stretches.

2. There is some play in puntos gear lever so this may not be a thing to worry about.

3. Mileage varies a lot with roads, no of passengers, speed, terrain, driving style etc etc. So do not worry about it. You are getting decent mileage.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. gShrey

gShrey Timido

Mahadevpura
    bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.2
    Thanks Shams. A car broke down on the way so traffic was there because of which i had to stop several times on the uphill. But is it ok to get this smell or i need to get car checked ?
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hope you were not over-relying on your clutch on the uphill stretch since it sounds like it was very stop-and-go for your car? Watch for symptoms in normal city driving and show it to FASS if so, be sure to tell them the context of the smell like you have here.

Otherwise, everything sounds fine with your car, including mileage in Bangalore's dense traffic, which will edge up over time as the engine beds in.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @gShrey

The smell is basically due to the excessive clutch riding. Since it was uphill and too many stops in between, the clutch got over used than normal and hence that burning rubber smell of the clutchpad friction.

The mileage depends a lot on your driving habits. If you are generally generous on the accelerator then might get a lower mileage, too frequent gear changes drops the mileage. You need to find a mid point between performance and fuel economy for the Punto.
    rishike007 likes this.
  6. gShrey

gShrey Timido

Mahadevpura
    bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.2
    @prabhjot and @ghodlur
    Thanks guys for your inputs. Yes i was using a lot of clutch, so the smell must have been because of that. Any suggestion how to use clutch in the best way when we face few/lots of stops during uphill ?
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    You need to start exercising the hand brake and clutch/brake coordination, it will help a lot when driving uphill or start from standstill on a slope. You will get used to when you practice.

In fact this practice also helps in the bumper to bumper traffic where the general tendency is to ride the clutch.
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. gShrey

gShrey Timido

Mahadevpura
    bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.2
    Thanks. Will do that.
  9. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @gShrey . Welcome to land of Fiats. Well MJDs have this problem as the turbo spools around 2K rpms and below 1.5 K its almost dead. One has to use a combination of hand brake and clutch to get out of such tricky situation. This issue should be there for any turbo engines. More the turbo lag more pronoucned will be the issue. Besides the Fiat cars being the heaviest in its class makes matter still more worse. With practice one can use the half clutch and brake technique as well but one needs to master it or else one will end up banging the car in front. Besides that in such situation one tends to press the accelarator to get the car moving which results in a lot of noise from the engine. I have usually found that people near by get startled by the noise and it can be a very embrassing situation as people assume that the driver is a newbie and just pumping the accelarator for show off.

But I really haven't faced these issues with petrol engines. I have done the same ghat section on Swift petrol and Punto diesel. Swift petrol would do most of the ghar sections on 1st gear where as Punto had to use the clutch brake or clutch/hand brake technique.
    For Punto 1.2 I am not really aware of the driving charecterstics. Being a pertol NA engine my guess its the weight of Punto in combination of lower HP and torque figures which may be the culprit. The Fiat 1.2 petrol has the lowest power per tonne and lowest torque weight ratio. May be that the reason
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @nibedk Nah, I just think he was too unused to the Punto 1.2 to handle stop and go on inclines. Inclines are no issue, stop and go on them always is, unless one is both skilled and familiar with the car-engine combo. Have driven the 1.2 and my dad owns the 1.4 Linea. The former actually has better torque and gearing off-standstill, and we've never had the slightest difficulty driving in the hills on the 1.4 despite the size and weight of the Linea.