1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FASS mentions Timing chain noise' variations in Linea

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by limraj, Nov 2, 2014.

1. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Hi folks,

I left for UK on business and left Linea idle in India. I do miss her.
    However, the issue is a different one. I need forum's help.

My father in law would not drive cars other than hatches and so I knew she is going to be idle.
    So, I talked to my co-brother to take her out some times, instead of his regular cars (Fiesta, Swift).
    3 weeks its was left idle before he could take it and had to be jump started with the help of FASS, Hyson Kochi.
    During the fixing episode, the FASS guy had mentioned there is a variation in sound from the timing chain. I am now confused. I am have my suspicions on Hyson guys.
    They initially estimated 10,000₹ and then when father in law turned it down, they offered to get it done in warranty, for 2000₹.
    My questions are, would there be a sound variation as such for timing chain??
    If so, what would be the reason? FASS guys, obviously, states it could damage the engine.
    What should I do?

The car is 2012 June make, Linea MJD Emotion, Done 47,000+ kms (in approx 21 months of usage - registered Jan 2013). I did not feel any slightest of difference in sound when I left the car there. I have regularly serviced the car from FASS, alignment, tyre rotation etc done. 45,000 km service was done in Sep, 2014.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Timing chain needs to be replaced at 60,000 as per Fiat. But, if there is an issue detected by FASS before 60,000, it has to be covered under warranty. I do not understand about Rs. 2000 estimate. May be because you are in extended warranty and some charges are not covered?

And yes, if there is really an issue with the timing chain, it could damage your engine. My suggestion would be to go ahead and replace the timing chain to avoid any issues later. Even if you were to pay Rs. 2000, it is still way less than the actual cost of replacing the timing chain.
    limraj likes this.
  3. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I'm still in original warranty. The car was registered in Jan 2013.
    I have not spoken to FASS guys, I will do that in few days from now. Wife does not know the guy who came to fix or his number. She is checking with FASS. I don't know if they mentioned change of timing chain itself. Both my father in law and my wife are not so knowledgeable on this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I suggest you call the FASS directly and talk on this. If you are still in standard warranty, they should do it for free of cost if they feel there is an issue. Timing chain failure is really a serious issue. There are instances of engine damage which costs more than 1.5L for the repair. Even if your car is under warranty, you need not take risk with the chain if the issue is known.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks ramjn. I will talk to them once I get the number. And will update here.
  6. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Talked to FASS. They say there is noise from the chain and need to change the timing chain. They have offered full warranty for parts and labour except engine oil. There is a confusion on doing full oil change or oil top up (as it was changed in Sep as part of 45,000km service and have done only 2000+ kms).
    Should it be full oil change or part oil change ? Experts please confirm.
  7. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Better to change to new oil. If we are near by we can ensure that the oil is drained in a fully clean tray and then filtered just in case if any debri/leaf are there can poured in again. If not, why take chances when It carries paramount importance to engine longevity ?
    If you are going to make a fuss about that 2000 bucks, I am sure the ASS guys are going to use the same oil and there is no issue as long as it is done properly
  8. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @limraj, as suggested, please change the timing change. Changing the engine oil is only going to renew the engine and not damage it. There is no harm in changing the engine oil earlier.

Check if you have any of your friends who own a FIAT and see if they can be with the service guy when they are doing the changes to the timing chain and ask your friend to check it directly in the workshop about the noise, this way you can be free from any doubts.
  9. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    GP Freak, pv krish,
    Yes, I will change to new oil as well. FASS offered pick up and drop of the car, which father in law will agree. I don't have a friend who could spend time there. I should ask father in law to go to the service centre to verify that new oil is put and the sound has in fact changed. He's an old man and I don't want to trouble him also.

I am just wondering why wouldn't the other FASS which did 45,000 km service could not detect a sound change. !
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    For the most part there are varying observations. It could happen that the chain breaks at 35k kms or even cross 1lac. kms. Based on readings and observations and discussion with FASS the 90hp Lineas are more prone to chain failure, it is believed.:confused:
    Does not mean it could not happen with Punto also. Anyways its more like a hunch, one would be too sorry if the timing chain fails before when somebody warned. So best to take another FASS opinion and go ahead with timing chain replacement.