1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FASC overfilled engine oil

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by RaviHegde, Nov 15, 2015.

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Recently I had given my car (1.4 FIRE) for service at Urs Cars Mysore. When taking delivery I checked and found all the fluid levels adequate. I postponed engine oil check to next morning when the engine has rested overnight. In the morning I checked the oil level and found it to be much higher than the "max" mark on the dip stick. I called the service adviser and informed him about the situation. He sent a mechanic to check. Mechanic told over filled engine oil is a problem only in diesel engines since it burns and causes smoke; it is fine with petrol engines and left. That is the quality of Fiat's mechanic training!

I was not happy with the situation and was determined to reduce the oil level to "max" mark on the dip stick. I did not want to loosen the oil drain plug to drain the oil (because of various reasons). Only other way is sucking the oil out through the opening where the dip stick goes in. I went to aquarium shop and bought couple of meters of air pipe (used to carry air from the air blower into the aquarium water). It is 5 mm diameter synthetic material pipe. It worked perfectly - it went into the dip stick pipe all the way up to the oil sump! However, the dip stick pipe has a bend in between. Air pipe kind of gets stuck there when inserting, but if forced it goes through the bend and reaches the sump. Then it is easy to suck the oil out. I had to suck out almost half liter of oil to bring it up to the "max" mark.

Hope it helps if you ever need to reduce the oil level without getting under the car to drain it out!
    PradeepM and Raaz like this.
  2. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Thanks for sharing your experiment. But, wouldn't it be harmful to you if you happen to swallow that oil?
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It can be harmful if I swallow it. Chemistry students know the art of sucking liquids into a pipette without swallowing it! There are ways to suck it out without swallowing it - like using a big syringe (called catheter tip syringe - typically 60-100 ml size), using a bottle to act as a buffer between mouth and the pipe (this is what I did) etc.
    mangeshtendulkar and Raaz like this.
  4. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Yes, thats a good way to avoid swallowing it. However, the air come through the pipe while you suck, can also lead some kind of harm to your lungs.
  5. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the information Ravi.
    A quick question what are the harmful effects in case the engine oil is beyond the prescribed mark.
    Also, I read in many cases where the MJD engine oils drop and people keep topping it up (never happened on my car till date though). So would it be a good idea to fill some additional oil to avoid trouble, in case it is a safe option.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    Raaz likes this.
  6. Masum Reza

Masum Reza Novizio

Kolkata
    Linea 1.3
    @ravihedge fluid topups are the most neglected parts of service in service centers especially in tata and fiat ones.Mostly the mechanics don't change oils just do top ups.I am saying this as a friend of mine works in a tata service center as an service advisor.
    Raaz likes this.
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    That is a big concern if that is what has happened because it was supposed to be complete oil change. Invoice shows they filled 3.2 liters of oil - which should not lead to this kind of over fill situation I believe. Only the mechanics and service adviser know what they have done. But this is what it is and the car is running fine for last 500 kms after service.

Over filled engine oil is supposed to cause many problems - https://www.google.co.in/webhp?q=engine oil over filled. Yes, some engines consume oil. Diesel engines apparently have a higher tendency because of complex system (turbo?) causing oil leaks and consumption. However, adding more oil above max mark is not a solution.
    Masum Reza, Raaz and PradeepM like this.
  8. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Good idea & thinking there Ravi !!!

Yes, I was also told that Petrol engine are not that sensitive to Overfiliing of oil. Though it is not advisable to overfill. But may not cause huge issues.
    But, I am ultra careful about the same in the MJD. Infact, I have stopped mechanics (@ FNG & Bosch) at 3 litres every single time.. instead of 3.2 liters mentioned in the manual for MJD.

Infact, after observing this during the first two oil changes. I just buy 3 liter of oil , and get that changed every 6000 kms. everytime the oil level is perfect at max level
    RaviHegde and Raaz like this.