1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

False Information keeps repeating all the time

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Ok guys. Another i20 vs Punto thread? We never get tired to discuss about this. :)

Let us first look at some figures on paper. The so called unbiased(?) automotive forum deliberately leaves out Punto/Linea from the comparisons when they do reviews of newly launched cars. Reason given is that they are not good sellers :)confused:).

Now, many would understand why Punto 90 is kept off from the comparison always.

Sat, this may be true. But, I can't buy a argument that i20 can do that speed as comfortable as done in a Punto. I have TD'ed i20 and I have to agree that it is super refined and couldn't believe that it runs in a Diesel mill. But, I found it scary even with the speeds above 80, because of the very light and toy like steering.

I agree here. I have driven teky's 75hp and it does lose the breath post 3000 rpm but, that is not the case with the 90hp. It gains momentum only after 3000rpm. The reviewer could have talked about the 90hp as well when talking about i20 CRDI :).

On a personal experience, never came across i10/20/30 or 40 going past me on a highway. :)

teky, yours is one heavy car with 1190 kgs. Look at the above figure. We may need to drive a Punto 75 with the reduced weight to take any call.
  2. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Believe me guys i have driven my cousins I20 and my uncle's swift several times.. also the santro i drove earlier, you are sure to fly above 130-140 range but there is no landing after that .. (or may be landing directly on the hospital bed) .. :evilsmile
    Its overall car performance (Weight/dynamics ..etc etc) and not the Engine that matters here when speed/Performance is taken in consideration for that Punto is little heavier on that aspect and it has better control at high speeds..

I can recall the statement that says "I 20-hmm...a rich boy's toy maybe?" i Don't see any authenticity in the posts now a days and what ever is put forth is blindly followed.. cause cant tak th bad enlish of members also..

My say whatever may be .. Punto rocks

What do you say guys..?

Note: No offense to any portal or anybody here..Thx
    2 people like this.
  3. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    It's not about what top speed is achieved by the MJD car's, it's about how quickly & easily they do it. I have not driven a i20 CRDi but the engine has earned a reputation for good highway cruising. On the flip side it's also earned a reputation for being a handful to drive in the city. As for Punto 75MJD, it does run out of breath around 130-140kmph. As someone said, the best speed for a 75hp Punto is 120-125 kmph. Beyond that the engine get's boomy.

He was referring to the high speed stability of the Punto v/s City. It has nothing to do with top speed.

The MJD has it's share of drawbacks. Better we accept these drawbacks maturely rather then crying conspiracy every time something goes against our opinion. No car is perfect, that includes the Fiat's.

Running out of breadth mean's beyond 130-140kmph the Punto struggles to pick up more speed. Doesn't mean it wouldn't go faster, it just means that it takes it's own sweet time to do that. The i20 on the other hand picks up speed much easier.

In short, the i20 can outdo a Punto on a straight highway while the Punto, thanks to it's infinitely better steering & suspension set up, will easily outdo a i20 on twisty roads. To quote from above, on a twisty road you will be literally at the edge of your seat frantically keeping the i20 in check while the Punto driver will be yawning his way to his destination.
    8 people like this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If the same FIAT engine is being used in Swifts,Ritz and TATA's,does this booming sound exists in these brands as well ? or its all about engine tuning ?
    Swift have tuned the FIAT engine very well ,so much peppy never feel like its diesel unless you hear the engine sound.
  5. Chill please.Let us hear it from 2011 and 2012 Punto owners.
    We just can't generalize saying MJD runs out of breath .it was voted engine of the year 2005.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

AFAIK there are many things to look for in a car (and most of you know better than to just concentrate on a single point).

There are flaws everywhere in every car and brand.
    FIAT's gearbox is a load of crap, while their cars give you a good feel on the highway in the ghats and makes one feel secure in the car.
    I20 gathers good speed faster but steering is better not spoken about
    Swift is peppy to drive and if a musquito hits the car then there is a dent.

All cars have flaws... that is understood but my only concern is this discussion is not going in a healthy way even on TFI and other forums...
    I cannot accept the fact that FIAT cars are soooo bad as they are made to be on other forums..
    This is just plain nonsense..

My only request to all TFI'ans is to not discuss these kind of things again and again but rather concentrate more on things that makes sense to us as FIAT owners..
    To hell with others, if they choose to die in a tin box so be it..

My advice to all, "One can only take the horse to the pond ,making it drink water is impossible".
    4 people like this.
  7. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Again I20 Vs Punto :).

Please don't start a debt again ;).

I20 has 2 types of gear :- One comes with 5 and another comes with 6.
    I20 has more Kerb weight than Punto; so what Ramesh posted I20 Ps/ton is more than 76HP Punto & less than 90 HP punto .

Please don't forget I20 Has 89 BHP Power; Punto has 2 ( 76 & 90).

Point 1:- Can I20 Outdo a 76HP punto in a flat-out accelearion?

Yes, for 6th gear equipped I20 easily get an instant pick-up than a 76 HP Punto; But can't outdo 90HP punto for same reason (PS/Ton reason).

Point 2:- Punto breaths out after 140 and I20 move easily?

Punto reaches 120 at 3000, 150 at 4000 but due to 6th gear the same velocity can be achieved at lower RPM in I20 than Punto, So I20 has extra RPM to reach more velocity. So, I20 move easily in the same Velocity with lower RPM than Punto. Punto feels really boomy but never felt breath out till 160 ( I have seen 160 max in my punto till today,didn't allow driver, My cousine & myself to go beyond that; I drove till 150).

Point 3:- Can you feel relaxed in I20 more than Punto in high Velocity?

No, Due to Better steering, Ride & Handling you will feel more planted and stable in high velocity in both Punto at high velocity. In I20 You feel scary in that same high velocity due to dead steering feel & less Ride & Handling quality than Punto.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    7 people like this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Get over it guys. Neither is that forum the Holy Bible, nor the poster the ultimate authority in automobiles.

2 people like this.
  9. dharmesh

:evilsmile :evilsmile :lol. That's the best description I have ever read any where on internet.
    3 people like this.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note - Thread closed.

Be safe and don't drive more than 100-110 KMPH on roads, whatever the condition is. Value your life.
    3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.