1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fallouts of Choked Airfilter : Pollution Check Failed

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Axn, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Axn

Axn Regolare

@Vijay_Khasa and Abdul,

Thnx buddies for the info. Will do it as advised. BTW during the test the rpm was going upto 4500 - 4700. Going upto 5200, I do not know if it is possible but I would try in second gear as told by Abdul.

and Abdul u r right, I do drive with a light foot. Else in this mad morning traffic I will need to adopt "shoot-screech" type driving style. People who drive on NH8 Delhi-Gurgaon between 0815 - 0930 hrs would know what I mean. The light foot is much more relaxed. But now surely I would try this suggestion.

Vijay, I agree with your uncomplete conbustion theory but then it should be reflecting somewhere. The car was neither sluggish nor there was any perceptible drop in mileage. That is what I reported in post #1.

Abdul I intend to scan both the PUCC and put them here. Will do it asap.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. kaps

kaps Superiore

I don't really know how it was done. It was just like flushing out the soot from silencer. The car ran perfectly for good 5 years after this exercise without any damage of any kind. I don't think this method will should be employed for modern cars. There is just too much risk of doing anything like this.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

My cars pollution scan was done at idle, so any comparisons by others and also for standardization it should be done similarly.

Also what has happened in your case is , at high rpm,all the previously accumulated soot began to get released resulting in a high carbon reading.You woldhave passed the test if it had been done at idle. Since you have passed the test , I advise you dont go for the new test immediately. Drive hard on and off everyday for one month and then go for the test..

You can also change the airfilter once every 5000 kms .It cost little but the benefits are huge, or you can buy a blower and clean the airfilter once in 15 days. Thats what I do.

4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Maruti Swift, Ritz,SX4 same engine.
    But as per owners' mannual of these cars Cleaning of Air filter is not required.:eek:
    Direct replacement after every 10000 KM
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  5. Axn

Axn Regolare

Do not agree, Bhai!! If you see the air filter after say 5000km it can easily be understood. As khasa said cleaning of air filter once in while (may not be regularly so) is definitely a good idea. You can feel the diff straight away.

BTW,,, frnds now that you pointed out that I am driving with a light foot and need to rev hard...i have been doing so ....result... now a days my avg have plummeted to 17+ and hardly upto 18 for the last two months. Time to check the real status..will update.
  6. vijayant sir
    waiting for the reports to come..
    it does not mean that you have to drive that way all the time.
    drive like that once in 2 weeks or in a month. like go till 4500rpm for about 15-30 mins and the carbon deposit will be going out..

this is not much of an issue..
    also cleaning the airfilter regularly will help. and

5000 kms is enough span for an airfilter in our dusty conditions. maximum is 7.5k kms.after that it gets clogged.
    and replacement is the way i would go
    1 person likes this.
  7. airfoil

airfoil Novizio

I'd replace the filter more often - any idea what it costs?
  8. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    200-odd bucks!

9. Hi Vijyant, Thanks for info about pollution problem, Its great that your ride is giving 19+ with AC. I just want to know on which route you normally drive and from which station you get your diesel filling?
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  10. @ Vijay

Awesome!!! just followed your guideline religiously for two days then got PUC checked. And to much of my surprise, It PASSED the test after 3.5 years:wow. This is the First PUC passed by my car. I am so happy.

Thanks a lot Vijay for saving my bucks and providing such a simple and permanant solution!!:clapping
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.