1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fallouts of Choked Airfilter : Pollution Check Failed

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Axn, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Axn

Axn Regolare

I failed a pollution check and was issued a certificate, which I was told, is valid for 24 hrs. In this period I was supposed to get the car set right and get it rechecked. This is not the usual yellow Pollution Certificate it is a white thin paper similar to the original certificate.

This was a bomb for me. In my almost 30years of vehicle life, it was my first shock. How can i fail a pollution check? For petrol vehicles, carburetted ones would get the adjustment done there itself and pollution would fall in limits. On a latest multijet only 38K on odo failed the PC. Some funny component was 4 times the permissible limit. Incidently I was on way to Elegant Motors that time to meet Varoon7777 who was getting his armrest installed and we had planned to meet there.

Still on way there I called Amogh. His and mine cars are similar aged and I thought maybe he has some idea. He was as ignorant as me. As it was some thing unique so we agreed this needs to be reported in details in TFI. I called up our genie, Paddle shifter. He said "Vijyant Sir, kuch nahin hoga, exhaust saaf karna padega". His experience from his dad's scooter was similar.

By this time I was getting calls from Varoon who had already reached Elegant. On reaching Elegant sought out for Mr OP Sharma. Told him about this problem. He called a mechanic and told him some thing. AIR FILTER was opened and found choked almost completely. Got cleaned and went again with Mechanic to Pollution centre. Passed marginally. (same funny thing was now abt maximum allowed).

After the PC in hand, I came back to Elegant, to drop the mechanic and to have a look on Varoons armrest. Also had a small chit chat with Mr Sharma, who declared that on next service (7000 km away) I would need to have the silencer cleaned.

On the whole, following are the main highlights of the episode:

1. Diesel pollution is very sensitive to the air filter state.
    2. So sensitive that PC can fail if the air filter is dirty. Increased pollution by 300%.
    3. Delhi pollution guys are more stringent than other NCR towns. I was told I may not have this problem in gurgaon, noida, ghaziabad. DO not know to wht extant it is true though.
    4. DPF and exhaust can get choked and need cleaning (at 40000 km odd, in my case).
    5. Even with all this condition my fuel mileage was excellant, 20+ (non AC) and 19+ (with AC) in general traffic. There was no perceptible lag as well.
    6. I use fuel from only one bunk in Delhi. well 95% of the time.

This is for information and further contribution from all you guys. Anyone with similar experience?

Have fun

1 person likes this.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    That's a good piece of information. I think with the kind of dust and other pollutants in the air that our cars breathe, it is important to get the Air Filter cleaned once every 6 months/8k at least. Extra cleaning won't hurt.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  3. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

i clean the air filter every 5k kms just to make sure that engine is breathing good as i drive in dusty conditions mostly
  4. kaps

kaps Superiore

Had faced this problem in Uno once. Took it to friendly neighborhood mechanic who inserted a water pipe into the silencer and ran water at high pressure. Lot of soot was flushed out. He cleaned the exhaust for good 15 mins with decreased pressure and PUC was cleared.
  5. Axn

Axn Regolare

Kapil, Is this the way, really? I hope it was not carried out with exhaust attached to manifold. How was it done?
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    @Kaps & Axn sir- I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it (cleaning with a jet of water).

By the way, cleaning the silencer by conventional method (of opening the silencer and cleaning it) in 2 wheelers usually leads to increased roar from the exhaust. It looks as if a FFE has been attached. Low cost alternative to Remus I guess. Better check for the same in case of cars as well.
  7. arichakra

Is there any DIY guide to clean airfilter or should we visit TASS??
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Thanks Vijyant sir, this information is very useful to many.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Reason for your car failing Pollution check was the engine not getting sufficient air for burning the fuel completely in combustion chamber. Your emissions will further come down when ECU adjusts itself completely to more air that the engine is getting now.

And the best way to clean a silencer is by revving the engine till redline on a good open stretch for some time and enjoy the sound from Engine and exhaust. Get a PUC done after doing this and your emissions would be well below the specified limits.

Everyone reading this post do revv till 4000 rpm in a Multijet and 6000 rpm in a Fire engine at-least once in a day and clean the airfilter of Multijet every 1000 km as with turbocharger sucking so much air the filter gets clogged very soon.
    1 person likes this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Khaasa is in a way right. Do rev your mjd to 5200rpm everyday. You can take it to that rpm easily in the 2nd gear. From your FE it appears that you drive with a feather light right foot. Am I right ? If yes then the rpms are very low and the soot doesnt get out, leading to clogging.

Now lets compare the pollution figures of our mjds

Last week I had done the pollution check and the readings are.

K mean- 0.50 mu ( max allowed 2.45 )
    HSU mean 19.4 % ( max allowed 65 Hartridge units )

Pls remember I have a Diesel Tuning express performance mod in my car )

1 person likes this.