1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Failure to start and showing EBD and ABS failure of my new linea mjd

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by lakshminandan, Sep 22, 2015.

1. lakshminandan

lakshminandan Amatore

North Lakhimpur
    assam
    Linea 1.3
    Dear friends, urgent piece of help is required. I had went to a local accessory shop to install illuminated door sill plates for my linea. The boy cut some wires.But after completion it is showing EBD failure and ABS unavailable also brake fluid insufficient and car is not able to start. I called FASS , they told to check the couplers and try again but it is not helping. FASS IS 500 kms away. Can anybody please give me a piece of advice. I am in deep trouble.
  2. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The Battery is discharging .. may be due to short happening.. find out the short first .or disconnect the Door Sill.( which seems to be the short or leak happening)
    get the battery charged with a battery charger at near by accessory shop.

You should be good to go.

When the Battery is low, ABS ,and EBD sensors do not work properly.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. lakshminandan

lakshminandan Amatore

North Lakhimpur
    assam
    Linea 1.3
    Actually the door sill was not installed. Should I still charge the battery?
  4. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    How old is your battery /car. Had you noticed some Sensors message earlier (sign of failing battery) .

if you have not seen any signs of failing battery. and if it has only happened after the local accessory touched the car wires. then somewhere there is a leak.

Getting the battery charged and "load Tested" would be best bet for you. as FASS is 500 kms away . and anyway charging the battery would not void any warranty.

I had a similar experiance in my PALIO MJD. I did a DIY : i.e. I pulled a wire from battery via a switch to connect another Cigar Lighter (for phone charging). it seemed to work fine during the 2500 km trip, we went. BUT the next day after not starting the car for 24+ hours.
    The battery was completely out. I just disconnected my DIY phone charger. and charged the battery for 6 hours with my battery charger. and everything was good.. Its been a year now, on the same battery. and its performing fine.
    lakshminandan likes this.
  5. lakshminandan

lakshminandan Amatore

North Lakhimpur
    assam
    Linea 1.3
    My car is 6 months old.Sometimes it was falsely saying left front door open and the remote door lock sometimes don't operate. I told in SS. they changed the lock. These are some of the indications that showed earlier
    Sujit508 likes this.
  6. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    issues u have mentioned are symptoms of failed battery. but considering the fact that its only 06 months old and you have been getting warnings on a regular basis, it may be possible that, since installation, your battery had some defect. try swapping with a serviceable battery or a battery mechanic.

PS:_ you don't need tocut any wires, just splicing them will also work.
  7. lakshminandan

lakshminandan Amatore

North Lakhimpur
    assam
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you very much @Sujit508 and @harryaviator . I will now take the battery for full charging at a local shop. Yesterday the accessory shop boy had cut some wires for the hood lights and was tapping a test wire from the battery terminal for testing, which was lying on the ground for quite some time. Could the battery be discharged due to this?
    Thanks
  8. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    doesn't look likely. anyways, do keep us posted on the progress and final defect that you have homed on to!
  9. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    It is the battery for sure. Question is should this type of tempering be done with a car under warranty? I won't.

Incidentally, I have replaced my 3.5 year old battery yesterday after I got it checked and found one cell to have gone weak. Boost charging also didn't help much and I didn't want to risk my south tour with such battery.

It started with occasional 'check air-bag' message flash while first start in the morning. I don't take out my Linea everyday. This time, it was parked for a week or so. Then this message was displayed every time I started it in the morning. It was not displayed during any later occasion during the day. After successive use for 2-3 days, the message disappeared, but I got the battery checked at a friend's outlet. I remember to have read some threads mention similar situations.

Comments from expert members and those who had similar experience? I
  10. Umesh Kumar

Umesh Kumar Timido

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Fiats, especially Linea and punto show this random malfunction indicators ,ABS- EBD or airbag failure in most cases when the battery is failing. By "not able to start" do you mean not starter not getting activated at all or engine cranks and not firing up? If its the latter, it is a common symptom of a weak battery.

Get a multi-meter. Check the output at the battery terminals during cranking (~12v) and when idling, turn on the ACC, Main beams and fogs simultaneously and see if it the output is falling further.

Did you see the engine immobilizer lamp blinking occassionaly in the MID while driving after the door sill job was done? Then I bet it is a voltage drop in the circuit that causes the error messages.

PS: top up brake fluid, and... :stop:...I don't think it is a good idea to tamper the wiring of a car in warranty, get accessories installed from FASS. Sometimes they deny warranty for these reasons.