1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Extra Marital Affair: my story of owning the Italian babe "Leena - the TJET"

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by navi_tjet, Aug 23, 2013.

1. navi_tjet

navi_tjet

Bangalore
    Well, people have bad image of Fiat, and it was my chance of learning why is it so the hard way. I spoke to the sales rep yesterday and told him that I would be coming for PDI today, i.e. Sunday morning by around 11.30 AM. I was at Vecto motors at Sharp 11.30 AM. But surprise, sales rep was nowhere to be seen. I caught hold of another sales guy, who told me that Mr X is not coming today because of Sunday. Then I called up Mr X, thankfully he is very prompt in attending to the call. He told that he is not in showroom because of Sunday and asked me to check Mr Y and Mr Z.

Mr Y wasn't there too, but Mr Z was available and I approached him with PDI request. He informed me that I can't do PDI today because the keys are not available. But then you can see the car from outside. I thought I have come so far, so it wouldn't hurt to inspect the car from outside. It was in a nearby yard, the same yard that I told about. Well, to those of you who might be curious, the yard is actually a parking place for cars that come to workshop for repairs. There were 2-3 new cars there, 2 TJETS and 1 MJD. Rest 15-20 accident/repair cases.

I started inspection of the car. The sides were dirty as if splashes from rain/muddy water. Front tyres had no "hairs", although rear tyres had them. Nothing much was wrong externally, then I thought of taking a peep inside through the windows. Interiors were heavily soiled. There were shoe prints on bottom of doorway of all the doors. The foot wells were full of dirt. In the rear, AC vent was having shoe marks too. But the biggest shock of them all - polythene from front two seats was retraced and leather seats were very very dirty. I smelt the fish - you can't get an absolutely new car in this condition. In all probability, the car was used as display vehicle in the showroom. There was another Tuscan Wine TJET active which was used as display vehicle during couple of visits to Vecto was standing next to it.

I called up SA and told him that I have seen the car and I am not interested to buy it. I want a fresh piece and not something which is already abused. He was insisting on cleaning up the car before delivery, but I was already feeling sour and I told him I want a new one only. I submitted the cheque last week same day - one full week and now back to level zero. I'll be going to Vecto motors tomorrow to take it up further.

In any case, I am not feeling like being treated as a million buck customer should be treated. ZERO customer satisfaction.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is definitely not a good show from a Fiat dealer. You have every right to demand a new car if not satisfied.
  3. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore
    This is really bad, If i am right this was in the display arena next to the Active variant (active trim). This white car is now replaced with a minimal grey color.. Me too not feeling great with the way they treat the customers :sad1.. and feel that we will have to always walk a extra mile or two to get things done with Fiat..:A From what i gather you should insist on a new car if you are not satisfied. Please keep the happenings posted, will help me as well, i have also booked from Vecto..
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I can understand an extremely dirty exterior + footmarks on the mat/carpet. But dirty leather seats I cannot pardon. No way. A new car is supposed to be absolutely fresh.

If you are not satisfied - do not accept it. A display car is not automatically a bad thing ( we took a display car only) but soiled leather seats just might be the deal breaker here.

It might seem OCD, but in my view, the best delivery is snatching the car right off the delivery truck. Wash the car yourself. Less chances of putting loads of swirls on the brand new paint. The dealer guys just rub the same cloth all over the car. When we took delivery, the entire car was already full of swirls. :rolleyes:

Cheers.
  5. navi_tjet

navi_tjet

Bangalore
    @ramjn - Fiat makes great cars but they still need a lesson or two in customer handling. Frankly speaking I am confused after this incidence whether I should really go for fiat or switch over to some "safer options". Car is only 1/3 of ownership experience. The rest 2/3 is dealers and workshops. I am having my concerns about the 2/3 part now.

@C_S - thanks for your inputs. This pretty much confirms my hypothesis that sales team is trying to push a display vehicle. I am going to check the vehicle availability with factory tomorrow. Let us see how things pan out. I'll keep this thread alive. I have to agree with you about walking that extra mile. If it were any other manufacturer, I would have walked out of the deal. Some attachment for TJET is still alive. Let us hope it doesn't get knocked out by dealership experience.

My friend and me were looking for an upgrade - my friend went with MS Ertiga while I opted for TJET. He booked few days before me and is already a happy MSE owner and I am a worried fiat fan wondering if the pleasure of owning a Jet is really worth the ordeal I have to put up with :(.

@Gurjinder - Yes the soiled leather seats were the real deal breaker for me. The bigger problem is lack of transparency by the dealership. The vehicle is screaming "I am a display car" but the sales rep is adamant in accepting it was one. I am not interested in proving that it was a display car or not. I didn't like it thats it. I am going to ask for a new car from the factory, preferably with a changed color option.
    I am planning to go for OB/MG.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I can understand how you feel. I myself had to cancel a booking and went to another dealer. But in the end, all that is past and the Linea and the joy it brings has no paralells.

I was talking with TFIan FastLove yesterday and he summed up the experience of Linea perfectly - " You don't buy a Linea. You earn it" :)

Don't let this roadblock hinder your path.

Cheers.
  7. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore

Same here, even my friend went with Ertiga only difference is i took a longer time to arrive at TJet while he was clear that he would not move from the Maruti Stable. (both of us owned Maruti Hatch). You are right when you say its not just the car but the entire baggage that comes with it... From what i have gathered ,Vecto has white(may be the one you have seen) and Grey ready for registration (Sat when i went to the mini yard could not see Tjet in grey may be they have it at the main yard), while they do not have Wine, Black and Blue, which needs to be ordered.... this is some wait for me as well ( 16 days up for me can easily see another 20 days of wait ahead of me :sadblue)...
  8. navi_tjet

navi_tjet

Bangalore
    Thanks Gurjinder, those are encouraging words indeed. Fastlove's statement reminds me of the famous chocolate Ad. I hope an eagle doesn't snatch me after I get my Jet out of the showroom :D. I agree with you that joy of driving Fiat has no parallels. Only wish that the joy of interacting with dealers had no parallels as well. All dealers in Bangalore are ex-Tata guys and still have characteristic Tataish attitude.

I am still open for Jet because I am still awestruck by the wonderful experience I had driving the Jet and I know how much more capable car it is. I would sincerely hope that the Jet gets delivered soon and I put all this BS behind. Let us see - fingers crossed at the moment. It all depends on how good the dealer fares to deliver my car. I am going to set the expectations straight when I see the sales rep next. But my patience is running thin in taking any more crap.

Thanks C_S once again for the information. Looks like I am going to join you in the same boat. I am going to ask for a fresh piece in different color so that they don't try to con me again. I dont understand why they have to be like this! I mean they are selling a god damn car not a nuclear reactor! Tell the truth, if customer likes it he likes it, if not then give a new option. And be more transparent in the information customer is interested in. Is this asking for too much? BTW, do you know any sensible senior person I can speak with?
  9. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    :D well said , and completely agree , i did not have any of these issues fortunately but there was generally so much confusion and lack of clarity at times that they made the Skoda guys look professional!!
  10. navi_tjet

navi_tjet

Bangalore
    I went to Vecto motors today. The sales rep was busy handling some other case, so he introduced me to his manager. His manager was a mature person, who had good understanding of automobile industry and we had a very interesting conversation. I apprised him of my reason behind not accepting the car and he displayed fair bit of empathy towards my selection or rejection process. He did not try to push the sale of existing vehicle to me. He told me that he would check with Fiat about the ready availability of TJETs and get back to me.

I was pretty happy with the progress until he dropped a bomb. He told me that I might have to pay 50% of the car price upfront to enable the dealer order a new vehicle as the dropout rate for Jet is high :shocked. I politely refused to accept his condition. He informed me that he will check with his management and get back to me.

I sold off my Wag few days back on assurance of the sales rep that I would be getting my new car in 10 days, and now I'll have to give up the ownership of my Wag in a few days time. But there is no clarity from Vecto Motors as to when will the order be placed and when will I get my Jet . My quest for Jet is leaving me with unspeakable mental agony :sadblue. I am still holding a candle in the wind.