1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Extra Marital Affair: my story of owning the Italian babe "Leena - the TJET"

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by navi_tjet, Aug 23, 2013.

1. navi_tjet

Year 2001 - passed out of college and got my first job in Hyderabad. Three years later - got married and moved to Bangalore. Driving around in the new city on two wheeler, we were about to be run over by maniac bus drivers a couple of times. I got really scared and wanted a car as soon as possible.

Back then a close friend of mine had purchased pre-owned Zen and I was quite impressed by the car. I started a search for pre-owned cars and soon realized its worthless as price quoted for the second hand cars was exorbitant. I went to the nearest Maruti showroom to check out new car prices.

At that time I didn't know how to drive, so just sat in the cockpit of Zen and I found it mighty difficult to get into the drivers seat. Mind you I am quite tall and not so slim :D. I was disappointed to realize that I can't drive my favorite car. Parked close to her was Wagon-R and thought of checking her out. Opened the door - sat in drivers seat and was blown over by the amount of space in the car. I didn't think twice before bringing her home. She has been my trusted companion ever since.

Some unfortunate incidents in quick frame of time made me realize that my darling Wag is nothing but a tinbox and I started looking for her replacement some time ago. My criteria - 1) should be safe 2) Should be refined and 3) should be fun to drive. Thats as simple as it gets.

My quest for a new vehicle began with ....Tata Safari!!! I wanted to buy a huge car which would made me feel safe inside. Visited the showroom to checkout Safari. It looked good, was extremely spacious and seem to be of solid build quality. So far so good. I asked for a test drive and was immediately obliged. I was awestruck to drive safari at first, but then when came to senses - it felt like a boat. Braking was not confidence inspiring and turning radius was huge. I came back disappointed.

Second in line were the VAG cousins - Rapid and Vento. I got a chance to drive brand new Rapid of my cousin. It pulled nicely and felt good to drive, but sounded like a tractor. Space also seemed to be at a premium. I liked the car, but not the extent of bringing her home. Checked out Vento too, but similar experience to Rapid.

My next stop was at Toyotas. I had heard many stories of how great Toyota cars are. But when I entered the showroom, I couldn't find anything interesting to even test ride. Only decent car on display was corolla but then she has too much of plain Jane looks, and price was much beyond my buying capacity too.

Next in line was Hyundai - I didn't like Verna, but happened to like her younger sister - I20. Test drove the diesel variant - fully loaded and beautiful interiors, and it was good to drive in the city too. But the car was so much overpriced that I thought its better to buy a sedan plonking a couple of Petis more than I20.

The other cars/manufacturers which I checked out were -
    Renault (only duster), but came out unimpressed by the unrefined interiors and exorbitant pricing.
    New Ford Fiesta - Ford staff felt more keen to swat the flies in showroom than talk about NFF. I never came across such a lousy sales staff in my entire life - end of story for NFF.
    Cars rejected without a test drive - Hondas and Marutis, because of the tin can like build quality.

I was disappointed by this time that no car is fulfilling the simple criterion that I had placed for my selection.

Few days back while driving around, I happened to see new Fiat showroom. I had seen Fiat cars on the road and I liked their looks too, but had never considered one for purchase because of negative brand perception. Somehow, that day I thought of stopping by at Fiat showroom to check out Linea and Punto. My better half rejected Punto because she didn't consider it an upgrade. So the focus was on now on Linea. I sat in the drivers seat - it felt pretty comfortable. The view from drivers seat felt good. Pedals felt a little too close for comfort, but then wasn't a deal breaker either. With the drivers seat adjusted for my comfort, I came back to passenger's seat and it also felt nice with good under thigh support. Opened the boot and the space is humongous. Then I had a good look at the exteriors - 16 inch alloys felt good. General build of the car also felt solid.

Satisfied with the basics, I thought of taking a test drive. SA took me to the parked TJET and handed over the keys to me. I cranked the car and she woke up to one of the most silent hums I have ever heard. SA turned on the AC to full blast and it chilled the cabin in no time. I was impressed. I pressed the clutch, engaged reverse to take her out of parking but ended up stalling her. Cranked her again and no response, SA - Sir switch it off completely and then crank..its double crank protection. Me - impressed. Then I took her out of the parking and let her stroll on the main road. She felt butter smooth at slow speeds. Then I took her to open road and pressed the accelerator little hard. Odometer moved from 1K to 1.1, 1.2...and the turbo kicked and she suddenly started to fly. Commander from the back seat- please drive slow and I was like "man I am slow". Looked at speedo and it was crossing 80s.

Then I took her to an empty stretch - floored the accelerator and she touched 100 in no time. Before I realized, she was going at 140. I pressed the brakes and the disk breaks leaped into action. She stopped from 140 without a fuss. She was rock solid all the time.

But I was still not satisfied - I wanted to test her even more. I asked the SA to take me to bad roads. He took me to a road full of craters. She still seemed composed and I was awestruck. How can a car be so perfect? Still not satisfied, I took her to a road notorious for the speed breakers. She passed the mighty humps, which made the Wag's bottom scrap so many times, without a hitch. In fact rolling over the humps were very much comfortable. Only other vehicle where humps felt like pimples was the mighty Safari but then she rocked like a boat after passing over humps. Italiano lady - no fuss!

I thanked the SA, drove out impressed and in total disbelief. I came home and I couldn't sleep that night. My heart full of thoughts of the wonderful experience I had driving TJET. My mind throwing in the alternatives, questioning "why TJET?" but my heart was "no I want only TJET". Spent a couple of weeks in struggle. Heart wanting TJET but mind questioning the wisdom of owning a petrol and that too Fiat! I was again like a teenager in love, or like a kid who throws all the tantrums for that one toy. My heart didn't want to think about any other thing. Two weeks I spent trying to balance out mind and heart. Then came the exciting offer on TJET - 1 L off on OTR and I finally said screw you to my mind, and booked a new pearl white TJET on 18th.
    Now I am in the courtship period - waiting for my JET to be legally part of my life. Expected delivery is couple of weeks but the wait seem to be endless...

Thanks for the patience to read my story (or novel :evilsmile) of owning Leena. Story to be continued as it unfolds...
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    No wonder your'e posting at 2AM - "Extra Marital Affair" indeed :D. Congratulations !
    5 people like this.
  3. RKK

RKK Amatore

A report @ 2 a.m.:eek: Shows how restless you are after the T-Jet drive. May you have a peaceful sleep after your t-Jet is delivered :) Congrats buddy for T-Jet.
    1 person likes this.
  4. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Supercool, nice to see so many new JET's off the shelf :) Congrats on your new purchase.
    1 person likes this.
  5. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    Many congratulations !!! Now put up some pictures too!! :)
    1 person likes this.
  6. Congrats buddy...excellent writeup...in fiat how much ever tall and broad you may be you will always find a perfect position for you...
    Post a lot of pics, and please write about the deal you got..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    1 person likes this.
  7. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    Congratulations. I hope you will have awesome time in taming the beast.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Welcome to TFI, looks like we both owned same car before an affair with FIAT, i still own Zen 2003 and sold off my M-Wagon-R before buying FIAT.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

You're gonna love this extra-marital affair I can guarantee you :mrgreen:
    2 people like this.
  10. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Linea 1.4
    I just feel super happy reading these new ownership threads. Happy for the ones who put their money in the right place.

The best thing u did mate (after wagon R) is "Realise"

Enjoy this lovely car :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    3 people like this.