1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

exterior body quality

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by sanjeev, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Hello All,
    i bought a TW punto 90 hp which is May manufactured and have a query regarding the quality of the exterior body sheets which are used.
    I was washing my car one day and was very surprised to observe that the metal sheet on my right hand side door went inside with a very subtle push while cleaning. i pressed it again and and it went inside and came back to the shape again. I was surprised to see this kind of body in a fiat car which are supposed to have good build. I checked the whole car and to my surprise this thing was present almost in every part icluding roof.

Now during my first servicing i checked this in all the cars i could observe this inthe showroom including a new punto and linea.

Can anyone please throw some light on this??
    i hope i m clear in explaining the issue i am facing.

Sanjeev acharya
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

the exterior sheet metal is one of the thickest in indian cars.

however whenever there is no backing in some parts the sheet metal might get pressed a bit.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

This pic can give us some idea. From the TFI Facebook page. The roof did not bend in even with two guys on it. Rest assured , the build quality is real solid.

4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

lol, nice one gurjinder. topic over, thread closed :)
  5. Too tempting to try it once :)

6. Guys, I have the same issue that sanjeev reported. My car has been manufactured during Feb-mar and I can show the metal issues at lot of places on my car. If the roof did not bend on one car does not mean that there is no issue and vice versa.
  7. royj

royj Esperto

I am not claiming that sheet metal in Fiat is weak, but the sheet does bend slightly in some areas. Compare that with some other lighter cars in the same location with the same force and then you will know the difference. Fiats are much more solid.
  8. Well RoyJ you are right, but what's bothersome are the doors / bonnet and the lid. Just open and close the door with your thumb and you shall see such depressions on the metal. My benchmark for comparison has been always my workhorse the Palio D..
  9. the VW Vento weighs 1160 Kgs.
    My Fiat Grande Punto weighs 1190 Kgs.

VW was supposed to be benchmark heavy build cars, and a full size car weighs as much as the Punto ( 30 Kgs less).
    I think the Punto is the best build in its segment, and from some statistics it is probably comparable to cars in hiegher segments as well.

Don't take my word for it, take a look at the VW website.
    Also the Toyota etios liva weighs 968 Kgs. The swift VDI weighs about 1000 Kgs (not sure abt this one).

I think you should be comparing and looking at it from a relative angle as well.

10. I agree with the pic but it's a problem which I am facing.the sheet bends in and again comes back to shape with the typical sound. Infact my roof can be pressed with my index finger alone and I saw this in new punto and linea in the showroom also.