1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Exploring rural Tamil Nadu-Chennai-Kumbakonam-Tanjavur-Karaikudi-Trivandrum

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by kailasmenon2000, Mar 9, 2014.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    A correction here. It was built in 12th Century AD. :)
    1 person likes this.
  2. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Thanks a lot for the info Arun :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Sorry...I had 12 in mind & typed 20!! Now a days lot of typing mistakes...Concentrate Kailaasss!!
    1 person likes this.
  3. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It happens. :)

To explain the history shortly,

- The Big Temple in Tanjore was the oldest and was built by the Great Raja Raja Chola in the 11th Century AD.

- The Brahadeshwara Temple at Gangaikonda Cholapuram was built by his son, Rajendra Chola in the 11th Century AD (it is also called as miniature of Big Temple at Tanjore).

- The Airavadeswara Temple at Darasuram was built by the son of Rajendra Chola, Raja Raja Chola II in 12th Century AD.

All these 3 temples are under the ASI (Archeological Survey of India) and was declared as world heritage site by UNESCO.
    4 people like this.
  4. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Thanks for the info :)
  5. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Good and great. I wanted to do this for a long long time; but not sure when I am going to get this going. Anyways Kai (hope I can call you by that short name) it is really awesome trip and the few of those photos. More snaps is what I would be interested in.
  6. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Thank u youngman...u'll love e the drive for sure... . More snaps coming soon.. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
  7. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Tanjavur Brihadeeswar Temple & Royal Palace

From Kumbakonam the road was again average to Tanjavur...Travelled 40km to reach the temple.

It was another masterpiece!! The temple was built in 1010 AD. The entire construction was made of granite. The temple nada was closed by the time I reached there. 01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg

A devotee climbing all the way up through the back entrance as the nada was closed :)

08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg

The Royal Palace & Art Gallery

2km near to the temple. This place didn't have much to offer.

11.jpg 12.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    3 people like this.
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    After the great Chola dynasty, the Nayakkars invaded and they had such an enmity with Cholas that they destroyed all the structures built by the Chola kingdom except the temples fearing for Lord Shiva. They wanted to destroy all historical evidences pointing towards the construction of the big temple and they did but missed one underground room where the Archeologists found the historical statues of Raja Raja Chola, paintings and many more items.

And the Lord Muruga shrine inside the big temple was built by the Nayakkars, not the Cholas.

Finally, the royal palace that you visited also belongs to the Nayakkars. :)
    2 people like this.
  9. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Madurai Meenakshi Temple

I had no plans to visit Madurai. As mentioned in the 1st post, I was thinking of heading to Karaikudi next, have delicious breakfast, visit chettinad houses, tile factories etc. But all of a sudden, I felt like Karaikudi might be interesting only if Im planning to stay there in some luxurious Chettinad house..Thought I'll do one exclusive Karaikudi trip later. Headed to Madurai via Trichy. Had lunch from a hotel in outer Tanjavur. Yummy mutton biriyani!! :D 1.jpg 2.jpg
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You could have driven the beautiful state highways from Tanjore-Pudukottai-Tirupattur-Melur before reaching Madurai. :)