1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Exploring rural Tamil Nadu-Chennai-Kumbakonam-Tanjavur-Karaikudi-Trivandrum

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by kailasmenon2000, Mar 9, 2014.

1. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Hi TFIans…

Have been thinking for quite sometime to do a road trip to Kumbakonam, Tanjavur & Karaikudi to experience the beautiful Indian architecture & delicious Chettinad food. Im clubbing it with my Trivandrum trip. Planning to start tomorrow. Here is my itinerary..

March 10th - Chennai to Gangaikonda Cholapuram Temple - (245km, 4hrs)

March 10th - Gangaikonda Cholapuram to Kumbakonam - (35km, 40min) - Darasuram Temple, Airavateswara Temple

March 10th - Kumbakonam to Tanjavur - (40km, 1hr) - Brihadeeshwara Temple, Royal Palace & Art Gallery

Stay at Tanjavur

March 11th - Tanjavur to Karaikudi - (105km, 2hrs) - Athangudi Tile Factory, Chettinad Houses, Delicious Chettinad Food

March 11th - Karaikudi to Trivandrum (Via Madurai) - (400km, 6.4hrs)

Have I missed some good places in between?? Pls give your suggestions.. I'm traveling alone. Anyone wish to join are most welcome.
  2. Crazy Fiatian

Crazy Fiatian Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am always ready for the road trip in car that too in Linea but have several roadblocks like work, family etc put me down.

Enjoy your drive and have a safe journey..

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk
  3. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    We'll soon plan something :)
    1 person likes this.
  4. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Here are few pics teasers to start with... IMG_20140311_043807.jpg IMG_20140311_081920.jpg
    5 people like this.
  5. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    Hello Kailas,
    Thanks for the pics and also for giving an idea about the present condition of the road. Looks like its newly laid. I am travelling home end of this month.
    -Arun.
  6. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Arun...I'll post the complete details about the trip & roads soon... One thing I must tell..The drive was awesome! These roads make you realize that 4 lane driving is really boring

- - - Merged Post - - -

All of a sudden, while travelling I changed my plan from Tanjavur... Instead of going to Karaikudi, went directly to Madurai from Tanjavur... And then to Tirunnelveli, Papanasam, Courtalam, Trivandrum
  7. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Started my journey from T Nagar, Chennai on March 10th, 5am.

Odometer reading - 70845.

00.jpg

01.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

- - - Merged Post - - -

Stopped after Chengalpet toll for (60km) a coffee...

02.jpg

I must say without doubt that filter coffee tastes the best in Tamil nadu..

03.jpg

Road to Kumbakonam...

The real journey started after deviating from the 4 lane track. All of a sudden, the whole feel changed. The road was partially good & the remaining average till Kumbakonam. There were lot of crowded villages. In some places, farmers block half the road for drying what they cultivated. Couldn't understand what it was. But I was enjoying the drive :)

04.jpg

Gangaikonda Cholapauram (245km)

1st of all, I was not on a pilgrimage tour. I was travelling from Chennai-Trivandrum. Just thought of taking a different route, exploring the attractions of Tamil nadu. An excellent temple built by Cholas in 11th century AD. This temple, along with Kumbakonam is under UNESCO's world heritage sites. The difference can be understood by the way these temples are maintained.

05.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg 06.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Awesome, Kailas. Gangai Konda Cholapuram, Darasuram, and Tanjore have awesome ancient temples where I always cherish whenever I visit there. :)

I remember this. I took this route when I drove from Sabarimala to Courtallam. :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Kumbakonam

Kumbakonam Airavateeswar Temple

Travelled for 35km to reach the magnificent temple at Kumbakonam.The road was average & had very narrow passes near a small dam where only 1 vehicle goes at a time. Traffic police were there to guide at these places.

Airavateeswar temple is located at Darasuram. It was built in the 20th century AD. Unlike the previous temple, there was more crowd here. Most of them are foreigners. As I mentioned earlier,this temple along with Gangaokondacholapuram & Tanjavur temples comes under UNESCO world heritage sites.

11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yes Ramesh. These temple architectures are unbelievably great. I was never a temple freak. But the last weeks Chidambaram trip inspired me to visit more temples & learn about their architecture & cultural heritage. Ive been to these places when I was a kid. But going when you are really interested is something different. These constructions shows us how talented our ancestors where.

- - - Merged Post - - -

This is near Shengottai. What a beautiful place it is. Taken on my way to Trivandrum from Courtallam falls. More pics coming soon :)
    4 people like this.
  10. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    To be more specific this bridge is called the "Pathimoonnu Kannara Palam" means 13 well bridge, near Thenmala. As part of the railway line broadening each pillar of the bridge will be blanketed with concrete to strengthen it thus destroying the entire beauty of the structure which was constructed during the British regime using surki(a mix of lime, sand, clay(or brick powder) and jaggery (sarkara)), A period when cement was not in use.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.