1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Exhaust Pipe Leak

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by shakesin, Oct 11, 2011.

1. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Has anyone got exhaust pipe work done outside(not at A.S.S) in bangalore?
    My exhaust has been damaged right under the engine(at the joint) for a while and i think it can be fixed by small welding, but the ASS guys have asked me to get it replaced(50K is the cost)
    Now that most of us have are already done with free service, can someone please suggest a mechanic outside who is has good knowledge of Fiat Vehicles.
    Shake
  2. hi shakesin,

please speak to the person before you go, try to explain the problem, get it fixed on the spot.
    contact Hariprasad,
    address: shankar mutt road, shankarapuram, bangalore 560004, Phone: 26675590.
  3. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    Is the crack at the exhaust manifold, do you have any pics ? How did the damage happen ?If it's a accident it should be covered by insurance. Otherwise it should be covered by warranty, unless it's a wear-and-tear case.

50K repair bill is really high - are they replacing the entire exhaust system ?

There's an independent garage in Bangalore - I think it's called Gowri Automobiles - he specializes in the old FIAT vehicles. Check in PUG for details.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    50k for exhaust is way too high. you get high performance exhausts in lesser price :)
  5. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    RE

Thanks All,
    I hit a man-hole close to garuda mall. Prob low on blow:uh.

@SDP 50k is for the whole assembly.

Adding the images, it looks fixable to me, but i was not sure about trusting anyone with a Fiat.

Shake

101.jpg

102.jpg
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    yes can be fixed very easily by any welder. however if there is no leak i would say leave it as it is.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    As mentioned above by Italia-Linea, if it's not leaking leave it as it is.
    From the pictures I can tell that exhaust is not leaking if it would have been the joint would have been totally covered by black carbon.
  8. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    it does not seems tobe leaking; if not welding, can you try some sealing compound which can withstand heat? Also, i think you can claim it with insurance now if it does matter really. If it catches rust and you have to change it for must, you might not be able to do it later with insurance.
  9. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Re

Well there is definitely a leak, i had the car lifted and checked, there is hot air leaking, and the car sounds like a sports car now. Also if you look at the first image there are black deposits on the joint although minimal.
    I suppose i must be losing on mileage and power.

Shake

---------- Post added at 04:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

@Srini, I tried looking up on the internet but couldn't find any such compound. Are you aware of any?
    Thanks,
    Shake
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  10. anoop

anoop Superiore

@shakesin - this is your best excuse to get a FFE ;)