1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Exciting journey in my RED ROCK aka Red Solid Punto

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Sailer_Punter, May 5, 2015.

1. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    It is quite some time that I bought this car (4th Jan 2013 to be precise) and finally I am out to write the ownership report!! If you think that this is one more post to highlight the problems in the car, you are mistaken as this is my report filled with only positives till date and hoping the same to continue.

This was my 3rd car (first was Maruti Alto and second was Hyundai i10). This car happened at a time when I was getting equipped with right knowledge on automotives . I was still a beginner then and hence it was Punto 75 HP. Some more time and research, it would have been 90HP model for sure I guess. The experience with Maruti and Hyundai was really good. Fiat anyways was well known brand then for all kinds of negative stories regarding their sales and ASS. A search in Google for Fiat car problems and a huge list opens with all kinds of scary stories.

Also it was the time when Fiat was planning to move out of collaboration with Tata and hence this was a huge risk that I took going against my well wishers, happy to say now that this was one of the risks which has turned out to be a very positive experience.

Cars considered: Views are purely personal and no offence meant to anyone.

Maruti Swift: A must to have choice for any car buyer in B segment in India. Infact with the facelift in 2011, it was a very competent hatchback with improved suspension and good handling. Anyways I was interested in Zdi variant as braking was OK only in this variant, it was shortlisted till the end.

Volkswagen Polo TDI: I was impressed with the quality in and out. But turning on the ignition key and the things that followed threw all these positives right out of the window! So rejected. Any-ways if I was in market today, GT Tdi would have been a very strong contender.

Hyundai i20 crdi SPORTZ: Quality interiors, best in class interior space and oozes of luxury all around. Drove it around and there was no difference between my i10 and this i20 on how it drove (not considering the acceleration). Infact I liked i10 better. Rejected.

Fiat Grande Punto MJD Emotion: This test drive was right after i20 test drive and the moment I sat in the car, i20 felt so much better. The hard plastics was nowhere in comparison with i20 and so is the space. Took the car out and first thing I noticed was that steering was so hard as compared to i20 or Swift. It was a Saturday and roads were empty, I could do some pedal to metal driving. The difference in handling, stability, braking, ride quality was immediately felt and I was almost sold on the car.

So I had two cars now made to the final list. Maruti Swift and Fiat Punto. Former is India's darling and latter is like a step child! Whomsoever I spoke to had only one thing to say and the suggestion is anybody's guess.
    In the meantime, during the research stumbled upon Team Fiat and actually got a lot of info that solved a lot of my concerns.

A week after Punto's testdrive, I was on my way to Coorg and normally I take the bypass road after Srirangapatna. I was happily cruising through and here comes a gentleman in a Red Punto (moron was the word I used then but now I know that a lot of people would have used that word on me when I am in Punto going on uneven roads). He wanted space in a non existent bouncy stretch with vehicles coming from opposite side and was flashing and honking to glory. I was so pissed that I started accelarating and there was one corner where car was bouncing like a bouncing ball and I was hanging on to my dear life and this guy coolly and calmly overtakes me.
    Now I was literally shocked to see this and when I came back to Bangalore, took one more test drive in a bouncy road ridden with potholes near my home. Then realisation dawned on how I was playing by wire and how he was calmly chasing me and overtook me!!

This was the final straw and Punto it was.

About the variant, honestly I was not very clear on Fiat's future then and hence opted for 1.3 MJD Dynamic variant as ABS was a must for me.
    Bought the car from Concorde motors, Dairy circle. car was delivered on 4th Jan 2013. Loan formalities were smooth with Axis bank.

Expenses till date inclusive all services and alignments etc is Rs 52965.
    Odo reading as of today - 54568.

Got the car remapped by Wolfmoto folks with 23K kms on ODO and never regretted the decision till date. Map 4 for all the highway drives and Map 3 inside city.
    As and when car completes 10K kms after service, I am back to stock map and this continues till the next service.

All the services were done at Vecto motors, Singasandra. No problems with servicing, just once they did not change the engine oil. Checked it little late and got it changed.
    Changed the tyres to Bridgestone Potenza G3 of 185/70 R14 size at around 20K kms on the odo.

This is it for now. Posting a couple of pics, one during delivery and other clicked recently in Coorg.

Delivery.JPG

In Coorg.JPG
    prabhjot and pdash like this.
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Belated congratulations to you for your 2 plus years old Punto @Sailer_Punter .:)
    Great to know that yours experience is positive.

Happy Mile Munching!
    Sailer_Punter likes this.
  3. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks Abhishek, it was indeed a pleasant and positive experience and has helped couple of my colleagues to finalize on Punto.
    prabhjot and pabhishek like this.
  4. Esakki Sundar

Esakki Sundar Amatore

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good to read a positive story. Every one does mistake and the biggest mistake is the Tata Fiat Jv which Fiat made. Good that they learned the mistake and their service has improved a lot
  5. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats @Sailer_Punter. I wonder what you would do now if another Punto comes behind you on the same stretch. It would turn out a battleground then or perhaps mutual admiration. ;)
  6. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks Saket. By the way one thing that I have observed between fiat owners is that they will smile when they pass by and some do flash lights or wave. Have seen Mahindra Jeep folks do the same as well. Sope now I do follow live and let live policy..
    Deepak and prabhjot like this.
  7. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Yeah, very true, it turns out mutual admiration actually.
  8. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Sailer_Punter : good review and keep updating us on your car :)
    During the service, people at FASS wont notice the remap? scanner wont detect the change after switching to stock map?
    Also as the car is remapped how they have disabled the EGR? have they used any plate to blank it off?
  9. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks Deepak.

During remap, they reset the counter and hence it cannot be readily detected at the ASS. Also they dont bother checking that unless there is some problem with the engine.
    If there is indeed some problem with the engine and if FIAT technicians will be involved, I believe they should be able to detect it. Anyways remap is a risk that you take and in my case it has paid off well till now.

Regarding disabling the EGR, they have not used any additional hardware like plates to blank it off. If done, it would have been through ECU recoding itself.
    Deepak likes this.
  10. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    Quick Update:

Car completed 55K kms and hence thought of getting the service done (previous was at 44K kms).
    Booked an appointment in Vecto Motors, Hosur road for last saturday.

Reached there at 8:45AM and service advisor attended the car within 5 min. Used to give my car to Dayanand but he has become the CRM now and hence it was attended by Shiva Kumar. Routine service with just one complaint i.e rear left reflector and reverse light had dislodged from its slot.

Got a call at around 1PM saying that the car will be ready by 3PM. Reached there by 2:30PM and billing was done at 3PM sharp :)

Total bill came upto INR11945. Got the brake pads changed as it was done previously at 30K kms. Now the car is smooth as ever. Overall a good experience.
    Deepak likes this.