1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Excessive Vibrations during cold starts/Engine Mounts Query.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Akshay4384, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

My Linea has started giving out noticeable vibrations during cold starts and shudders badly when i shut it down.
    Looks like engine mounts have worn out,Or should i be looking at other reasons?
    How much do engine mounts cost? and how much time does it take for the F.A.S.S to replace them.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Does the whole car rock? Something similar to -> when we try to shut down tractor/old jeep by pulling the "STOP" lever to kill the engine.

The vibes you tell of I experienced on a Punto which had done 1.2 Lakh ++ km and my guess was on the engine mounts.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Bend down and check properly if engine guard is hitting the engine anywhere. Open the bonnet and observe the engine movements during start and stop. If its excessive movements ask FASS to check the mounts
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Yes exactly,the whole car rocks,and on cold start,soft vibrations can be felt inside the cabin,as if the whole engine is shaking,however on visual inspection it looks normal.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Engine shakes during cranking and settles down once started.
    Engine guard is perfect,and engine note is normal.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  5. Time to check the cam timing.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Then its mounts.
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Cam timing? how does it relate to vibrations?
    Engine note is perfect,and performance is perfect.
    Its just the excessive shake at engine shut down and during cold starts.
    Any idea about engine mount costs?,and do they need to take down the engine?
    I have no idea about cost and process as never replaced engine mounts in any vehicle i have owned till date.
  8. I recently changed the timing chain,just before final adjustment my cars engine behavior was similar to yours.

Again same symptoms might have different fixes.
    There is no harm is getting it confirmed once.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Akshay,
    i too fall in your category of engine shaking during starrt and stop.
    With the above problem do you feel any jerks while applying breaks or releasing the clutch or accel pedal.
  10. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Not really,no jerks while releasing clutch or accelerator pedal.