1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

excessive radiator fan noise

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by jayakrishnakola, Mar 27, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Had it not been working, you woud've seen the temp. gauge needle climb sky high.

Do this- do a spirited run with the a/c off and then check the fan .

Gurjinder.
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Fan does run to provide colling effect to radiator, without which the engine would get stalled due to excess heat and can lead to mechanical damages. With bigger fans being installed on Petrol vehicles, there is a strong possibility that these make loud sound than previous, and I say this with my own experience. My FIRE 1.4 got an AC kit upgrade and the fan sound levels is much higher than before... earlier, even after engine switch off, the fan used to run for 30-60 seconds... but this feature is not there after the AC kit upgrade.

I drove to Goa from Jaipur which involved driving in Ghats and long distances like 400-600kms non stop.. still fan doesnt run after switching off the engine.. so is this common after AC upgrade or something is not right? comments pls....
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @cubbie

no issues buddy..gone are those days when even after switching off the engine the fan used to run i guess..now its no more..even after running about 150kms continusly, when i switch off the engine the fan turns off immediately..but i follow a procedure i.e after parking i switch off the a/c first then the stereo & then wait for a min to that the fan turns off n then i switch off the engine..i assume this is the most safest thing one can follow if he loves his car :p
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    That is a very good practice.
    Keep it up.
  5. hello j ,i have the same problem,,,and mine is not even a month old,,it makes hell of a noise only wen the a/c is switched on,,,terrible noise,,every person who hears it complains,,being a new car i ant digest them easily
  6. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @gurjinder

thank u sirji :)
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    that is very serious . i dont think OEM fiat cars fans make noise worth complaining . probably some serious issue may be the belt or something brushing against the fan.
    better take it to service centre and get it checked ASAP.
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    @xerxys

How high is it? Is it like a fan operating at very high speed?
    Make a video if possible.

Gurjinder.
    P.S The ones complaining about your car are simply jealous. Thats all.;)
  9. trance_nut

trance_nut

New Delhi
    Hey friends,

experienced turbine like activity from my punto MJD radiator fan today morning. Though when i first engaged the ac in the morning (around a km after starting from home), there was a loud "khat" noise. However on subsequent on-off ac cycles, there was no such noise.
    Are only the petrols having excessive radiator noise, or the MJD's also have this "feature" :rolleyes:?
    MJD owners, please update.
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    @trance nut

When the compressor turns on, a slight 'khat' sound is normal as the clutch in the compressor is engaged to run with the belt and not keep slipping i.e when the compressor is not working.

However, a 'loud' noise is unwarranted and you might wanna get it checked.

Yes, our Linea MJD also makes the 'noise' associated with high speed fan operation, but its normal and im okay with it., no issues.

Gurjinder.