1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Excessive Engine Braking - Suggestions Required

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Relativity, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    So Finally my 90HP will go for the second free service at 10K KMs / 1 years.
    I have discussed the problems I am facing with the Service Center and with friends and come up with a list of things that need to be checked.

First, let me describe the two major problems that I have.

1. Excessive Engine Breaking - The Engine does not idle at all and as soon as I remove my foot off the accelerator at any RPM, Engine Braking happens immediately slowing the Car significantly. Also, this happens with a sudden jerk. I reset the ECU recently but it doesn't help. Based on several pieces of advice, I have been asked to tell Fiat Service Center to check:
    • TPS Calibration
    • Injectors to ensure they are not clogged as low volume flow seems to be affected
    • Turbo is calibrated
    • Vacuum tank and the pipe that runs from it is not jammed
    • Brakes are not sticking to the tires
    • EGR should be cleaned
    • Any other suggestions?
    2. Extremely Uneven ride, car starts wobbling at speeds over 100KMPH
    • I was advised to change tires from Goodyear GT3 to Michelin Primacy LC. I did that last week and noticed the Car feels comparatively lighter and fun to drive. But the uneven ride quality remains
    • I recently drove another 2012 90HP to compare and the ride quality was better than mine.
    • Service center has offered to replace both front shocks under warranty.
    • Anything else that can be checked or replaced? Dampeners etc? Car doesn't absorb things like speed-breakers but instead jumps upwards

Thank You for reading and your valuable comments in advance.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I am afraid i'm unable to gauge the issue from your post.

Are you : Experiencing sudden drop in speed when you remove foot from throttle pedal ( while car is running at Xkmph and in X gear) . More than it should be?

If yes, have you tried checking in all gears? If you try it in lower gears, it's natural that due to shorter ratios the speed will fall faster in lower gears. Whereas , if you're doing , say 80kmph in 5th gear and take your foot off the throttle pedal , the speed reduction is pretty slow and gradual.

Do it in 80kmph and 3rd gear and speed reduction will be much more rapid.

Is this what you're facing?

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Yes. And accompanied by a sudden jerk. Also notice a sudden jerk as soon as I press the accelerator. Basically, the accelerator is behaving in a non-linear manner.
    And No, it is not normal as I compared another 90HP that had clocked similar KMs.

It is indeed more prominent in the 1st and 2nd gear.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    In a particular gear or more than one gears or all gears?
    1 person likes this.
  5. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Very prominent in 1st and 2nd gear, noticeable in 3rd gear, hardly noticeable in 4th and 5th gear.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1st and 2nd gear, engine breaking feel will be more and its normal, but since you say you compared with other 90HP Punto, better to get it checked once.
    1 person likes this.
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    No offence to you mate, but I think you're too worried and going to stay fixing which were never an issue.

The list sounds scary for a 10k driven car. Has any fellow Fiat'ian driven your car and had passed the same view as that of you.

I'm up for a test drive ;)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    That is the way it will be and i experience the same. To me, it is normal mechanical operation and not any issue.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  9. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Awesome. Where do you stay? I will PM you my number. Let me know when you are free, maybe this weekend.
    Yes, three of my friends/co-workers who own a Fiat have driven my Punto and find the Susupension to be terrible and the engine Braking to be abnormal.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

whooo... I think i got it, how long do you stay in 1st & 2nd? I drive in Delhi in the most nonsensical traffic across India but the way you are jerking yourself seems like you hardly slot 3rd. Tune your driving style mate to this engine, it's not a petrol. I would indeed suggest you to get Teky/Ram on the steering wheel & watch the progress. I am sure the jerk issue would be gone there & then!

Not only this but you can consult for other issues too, i doubt you with such a scary list of checkups. Fact of the matter is areas like suspension/steering shouldn't be opened up till you are sure. In an attempt to remove one rattle which is not due to suspension/steering etc, you will finally manage to have a genuine suspension/steering issue.