1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EVOLution!

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Yagnik, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Yagnik

Yagnik Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Yes! You read that right!

This is the story of a how a young boy finds his true love in the form of his car!

Prologue:

I have always been what my parents call “A CAR GUY” since childhood. Always fancied those beautifully designed Lambo’s, Porsche’s, Maserati’s, Ferrari’s and wanted to own one someday! Thought that they are not just cars, but they were cars with something called a “SOUL”.

Fast forward to 2010 while I was in my third year engineering my dad bought our first car, a Maruti Ritz Genus, their limited edition model (No pun intended).Really loved it, served us well for three years, before I even realized, got a thought to sell it off, because of the not so ergonomic position of the gear lever and the high set clutch pedal, and my hefty build, meant my knee was brushing the gear lever, resulting in a severe knee aches during city drives to office and back. So the hunt for automatics began, sold the Ritz and bought a pre-owned Honda Civic. Yes, who in the right mind would sell of his new car and buy a pre-owned one? Guess that person would only be me ;). Used the car for a full year, then my shift timings changed, and an incident with the Honda service, had me thinking to sell the civic as well!

Now 2014 December, Mom, Dad and I and sitting and discussing as whether to keep the car or what to do about it. Mom gives an idea of buying a new diesel car and sell the civic. We decided to set a budget of 9 lakhs on road and a few options to choose from. They were

1) Hyundai Elite I20
    2) Fiat Punto EVO
    3) Volkswagen Polo
    4) Tata Zest
    5) Fiat Avventura

Read reviews of all these cars not one of them left on the internet. Saw the prices of each of them over the internet at the dealer websites. So we looked no further thought of taking test drives.

Test Drive Experience

First up Fiat Punto and Avventura, called up KHT FIAT, Bangalore. Informed them that we wanted to test drive the Punto and the Avventura, they promptly acknowledged and we drove there with the test drive cars ready.

1) Fiat Punto 75HP- The test drive car was White with beige-black interiors. It looked awesome. One drive and I was sold with this car. Yes this is the car I wanted, it had that SOUL, something which my previous cars lacked. This had enough grunt, noise isolation was awesome, tasted the famed handling, ride quality and the steering feedback. Honestly the Punto was a whole lot better than the Civic in all these areas. The acceleration was really good in the 2nd, 3rd gears. Couldn’t drive long as there was traffic in the Inner Ring Road at Domlur. Parents also fell in love with the interiors.

2) Fiat Punto 90HP- Next up the 90 hp, this was G Gold with black interiors, test drove, it had good power, was but lagged a lot compared to the 75hp. Took a short drive, didn’t like the car so much.

3) Fiat Avventura- Loved this car, but it was off budget, and also the rattling issues in a new test drive car put me off.

So finally decided and booked the 75hp, Pearl White Emotion variant. Never even thought about looking at the other cars mentioned above.

Dealership Experience

One word, Good! but can be better! Hats off to the SA, Mr. Aftab, he kept us informed and helped us on all the formalities right from processing loan at HDFC, PDI etc. A little incident during the PDI, where we saw two white cars parked outside their yard. He told us that we can choose either of these cars. I checked these two cars, one had a manufacturing date of July 2014 and other one with June 2014. I asked him if we can get newer cars, the SA was little hesitant, went inside the yard, checked some newer cars, a Red, Tuscon Wine and a Grey one. Asked him if I can get any one of those, he said all the others were booked and was convincing me to buy the White color. Then he said I can’t change the choice of color once booked and incase I wanted any of these colors, I would have to wait for 1 month and the deliveries would begin from January 2015. I wanted the car immediately as the civic was used for exchange and we would be left without a car, so had to settle down with the White one. He also informed me that the car would be registered and delivered on December 24th . At least this was prompt, we went down on the said date, car was being readied.

All formalities and paper work completed, SA explained me the features. I was a happy man and drove straight home! Now finally owning one of the most beautiful car on Indian roads J

Now back to the Punto

What I liked:

· Stellar build quality packed in an timeless design
    · Proven 1.3 MJD with improved gear ratios
    · 185mm GC combined with incomparable steering feedback and handling dynamics
    · It's an actual "facelift" over the Grande Punto unlike the insipid facelifts of the competition making an already beautiful looking car even more gorgeous
    · The new interiors are a refreshing change
    · Blue&Me : yes, in this world of connectivity this needs mentioning

What I didn't like:

· The quality control at FIAT is still a bit questionable, there are still ill fitted elements in the dashboard
    · The interiors although good, do not bring it on par with the other premium hatches; does not carry all the bells and whistles of the competition
    · A rear parking camera, at least on the top-end would've been good
    · Slippery gears, but not a major deterrent

Arguments against it:

· Low resale value
    · Questionable service and small dealership network
    · abundant alternatives available in the hatchback category

Now the Experience with Fiat Punto Evo: Have driven the car for close to 3000 KMs in city, a beauty to drive in, enjoyable and fun to drive with good power and torque spread. I get admiring glances everywhere I drive It. It is very unique on the road, during the night it is even more unique, thanks to those LED tail lamps.

Total Cost on Road- Rs 8,54000

Discounts- Rs 35,000

Accessories added:
    Reverse Parking sensor

Average Mileage- 16.67 kmpl in city

Small niggles:

Like I had mentioned in my introduction post, there were few niggles that cropped up
    Scenario 1:Was waiting at traffic clogged signal near EMC2, KR Puram and the engine was on along with AC on(outside temp was 35' C), then suddenly, I get a "Low Fuel Warning" message on the MID(no low fuel warning light displayed) with half a tank of diesel left, switched off the engine and turned back again, the warning message vanished. Called up the dealership for advice and he mentioned that there could be dust accumulation in the fuel sensor or issue with the fuel pump(hope its not the latter).
    What could be the reason behind this? issue with fuel pump on a new car?

Scenario 2:
    While I was starting back from office late in the night, at a signal near Koramangala and just about to start the car(this time the AC was not on) i got another warning message saying "Insufficient Engine compression" on the MID with no engine check light warning displayed, and the car stalled. Immediately started the engine as I was blocking traffic and moved some distance and stopped the car for 10 mins. Called the RSA for help, explained him this issue and he promptly advised me with some initial diagnostics, all diagnostics passed, i turned on the engine, the car rode butter smooth after that and reached home.
    What could be the reason behind this?

The Solution:A trip to the service answered me these niggles, they hooked on to the engine diagnostics, no errors found, they just interchanged the relays and this never occurred again. But I am told to report if it does occur again, as this is the first time they have come across such errors.

Of all these niggles, hope these are the last of it. There is enough said about the car in the in depth official review, so I won’t say much.

Now back to the title of this thread, is it really an EVOLution? No not exactly, remember the young boy I had mentioned earlier, he finally found his Love in this car.

It’s not an EVOLution but LOVE-lution!

Let the pictures do the talking!

2015-03-06-8986_Q1-HDR.jpg

IMG_1498-HDR.jpg

IMG_1500-HDR.jpg

IMG_1519-HDR.jpg

IMG_1524-HDR.jpg

IMG_1525-HDR.jpg

IMG_1528-HDR.jpg

IMG_1531-HDR.jpg

IMG_1539-HDR.jpg

IMG_1540-HDR.jpg

IMG_1541-HDR.jpg

IMG_1550-HDR.jpg

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

2015-03-06-8981-HDR.jpg

2015-03-06-8982-HDR.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Beautiful pics @Yagnik !!
    You have made a worthy choice.
    Comparing with civic, and finding it better too; is saying something :)
    Happy miles!!
    Yagnik likes this.
  3. aramico

aramico Amatore

KA 51 / KA 31
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Nice pics.. & beautiful car.. wonderful choice.. congrats & happy miles @Yagnik , Welcome to the family
    Yagnik likes this.
  4. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats @ Yagnik. Welcome to the Fiat family. Wishing you lot of happy miles with Evo and hope that you do not miss the additional power of 90 HP.
    Yagnik likes this.
  5. gazgotta

gazgotta Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Namma Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congratulation and Happy Cruising.:cigar:
    Yagnik likes this.
  6. Yagnik

Yagnik Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks guys for those wonderful replies :), actually one of the main reasons for choosing 75 HP over the 90 HP model was due to city drivability with lesser lag. Have not taken this car on the highway yet, hope it does well there too.
  7. Omar

Omar Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Yagnik - A friend of mine owns a 75HP GP and he has clocked 1,00,000 kms in it - he is quite content with the highway performance of his steed. The 75 horses are more than adequate for long distance cruising.
    Yagnik likes this.
  8. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats @Yagnik. The pics were really awesome. Be hungry and clock as many miles as possible to grow your love for the Punto!
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice pics Yagnik.Enjoy the beast.
    Yagnik likes this.
  10. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet