1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Every 'P' has its story... Palio to Punto..

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by neoonwheels, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    ::OO neoonwheels, Put the monogram now, The great beauty doesnt not feel like stunning, Monogram is which gives the car the special EFFECT ::T :car
  2. nk4FIAT

nk4FIAT Superiore

Hyderabad
    I don't know when these petty thefts will be stopped? :A Making scrtches, stealing logos is a begger's mentality.
    Especially the guys who don't own 4 wheelers. :hit
  3. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
  4. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hello, I wa unaware of this threae earlier about the battle for logo theft, i had posted my experience,
    Do not park the car in the dim light or apart from the parking lot, which gives them a easy chance, If you get them red handed then no talking to them :punch
  5. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune
    Hmmm, interesting... Its for me to get the logos back then :)
  6. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune
    Its been quite a while since i updated this thread. As the car has achieved a significant milestone, thought of putting down my ownership experience so far. So its been 1.5 years since this black beauty entered my life. Yes, the life has been wonderful since then. Touch wood but NO FIAT antics on the service front. My experience with both BUB and Pandit has been quite good so far. I pray, I would keep munching miles in this beautiful Italian hatch.

Positives:

1. I always feel safe whenever I enter this car. Awesome built quality and the typical FIAT thud of the doors.
    2. I thoroughly enjoy driving this beauty. She really understands you whenever you are doing good speeds on the highways. She never ever misbehaved on any speed, be it a single ditit or triple digits.
    3. Outstanding and typical FIAT handling which makes you push more and more. Clocked 160 on E-way without any fear. Of course I did this when the road was clear upto some 2 KMs. No insane driving anywhere.
    4. Engine has become smooth since 6000 km and now its very slient in the 60-100 range.
    5. The FE has been good since I bought the car. I consistently get 15-16 in the City and 18-20 on highways with ACC always on.
    6. The ACC is a boon. You dont need to fiddle with the controls. Just set the temp and she will make sure you will always be comfortable.
    7. Bluetooth is VERY practical. Talking on phone in the car had never been so pleasing before.
    8. The ergonomics are good and I dont have to search for controls, be it ACC adjustment or playing with Audio.
    9. Another boon is the Steering wheel controls. You just can not help but appreciate the fact that you dont have to divert your attention on the center console while driving and still play around with stereo volumn or changing the songs/radio stations.
    10. The OBD shows much helpful data on: Avg FE, Avg speed, Inst FE, Distance to emtpy, Temp, clock, date, song/radio station. You get trip A and B for measuring your FE and other data.
    11. The follow me lights could be a good feature for people staying in bunglows etc. Its not much of a help for me as the parking is always well lit.
    12. I am not much of a audiophile, so I have not used the BluenMe much to control music, but its a good add on.
    13. I have not spent money on the car apart from regular service and once a mirror (220/-). The money is spent regularly on fuel and nothing else.
    14. Since I bought the car, the calculation says, I spend 2.53/- per km on fuel and adding insurance and maintenance makes it 4.01/- per km. Its kinda awesome since I used to spend around around 6/- on my Palio (Petrol) per KM. The more you clock the eralier you break even the petrol-diesel thing. As per my calc, for me the break even is, 28000 km. May be another year and I would break even.
    15. The engine guard is awesome and it really saves your A** smile.gif

Negatives:

1. A big thing is of course the turning radius. I dont understand why FIATs have such a horrible turning radius. Makes life difficult in our cities.
    2. The space on the rear bench could have been better. I feel even my Palio was spacious on the rear bench. May be slowly all Indian hatchbacks are accomodating only 2 on the rear bench, except ofcourse the Vista.
    3. At times, the turbo lag is annoying in the 2nd gear. You have to keep changing gears initially but when you hit 3rd, its a boon.
    4. Headlights are not to my taste for night driving. You have an option to upgrade to other good same watt bulbs. I would soon shift to Night Breakers.
    5. The headlight throw is also not good when kept on dipper. In city you can not shift to upper unless necessary but this annoys me at times. The throw should have been better.
    6. The nose of the car is pretty low and you have to be careful on speed breakers.
    7. The engine noise is audible post 110, also the tyre noise is not well insulated.
    8. I would have loved to have Polo like gear shift quality. The gear shift at times feel rubbery. My Palio had a better gear shift quality.

These are just my opinions and would differ with other owners. Overall, I would rate the car as 8.5 in my ownership experience. I had FIAT before, so was kind of ok about the service, and I am happy to say that I did not face any trouble since last 6 years now. Thanks to FIAT, the car is not getting as much sales as it deserves.

The interior though at places feel cheap, did never failed me. Not even a single part fell off the place. I would not say its of a very good quality but certainly its not as BAD as its made out. I hope FIAT would separate the sales operations and concentrate on the spare part inventory at dealers. They can even have their independent spare part distributors/online shop so that customers can order stuff which can be fitted like DIY or by a road side garage.

I would not say Punto has all the bells but then I can overlook the negatives as the positives play a good part in my driving experience. I would say its once of the best hatches as per my requirements and I am totally satisfied on my decision of buying this Italian beauty. Will have a photoshoot and will upload pics soon
  7. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    Hi neoonwheels,

Very nice write up and i must agree with all the points you have mentioned especially the headlight throw in the night.
  8. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Completely agree with the headlight beam throw. Need to find a way where the low beam throw is bit longer than what it is at the 0 level.
  9. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune
    Here are couple of recent clicks..

335783_283287071688638_100000220410415_1316987_1378917325_o.jpg

325621_283284641688881_100000220410415_1316976_1751933653_o.jpg
    2 people like this.
  10. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune
    Finally the milestone achieved in 2.8 years of ownership. Its 30000 KM now and how !!

I simply love my Punto ! Its a pleasure to drive her and specially on highways. Touch wood but I have NOT faced any serious issue so far. Only a single instance but that too was simple to diagnose and cure.

Following are the statistics so far:

Car age: 2.8 years
    Total Run: 30000 KM
    Total Diesel consumed: 1746.75 ltrs
    Monthly run: Around 950 km (I know its kinda less for a diesel car)
    Cost per KM (Only fuel): 2.62/-
    Cost per KM (Fuel, repair, service, add-ons, everything else): 4.22/-
    Max FE: 20.91 kmpl
    Min FE: 13.77 kmpl
    Avg FE: 17.03 kmpl
    Service cost: 11842/- for 3 services (300/-, 6068/- and 5474/-)

Overall, I am very happy with the car. I would highly recommend the car to people who are not bothered about of FIAT service (Blown out of proportion service stories).
    2 people like this.