1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Etios Liva G/GD Test Drive experience

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by zenwalker, Mar 31, 2013.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Dear Friends,

Just wanted to share my first TD experience with you all. Hope i am not breaking rules?

Today morning i did a TD for almost an hour in various kinds of roads (Plain smooth to pit holed 1s). The TD car was well maintained. I called up Nandi Toyota, Kanakpura Road, yesterday and booked for a TD. The SA (Kaushik) was on time with a good looking white colored car. I should appreciate him for his prompt nature. I could not wait to take it for a spin.

Note: Below are my personal opinion and no where biased (no fanboyism), also i am no expert in driving. So few may be wrong.

Exteriors:
    The so called new diesel version G variant released recently by Toyota is no different than the old one. Its 95+% same to the previous ones. So have seen it on the roads and not that catchy impression but neither repellent looking as well. The TD car was well maintained (looked very new tho) so the exteriors was looking good and clean (ya white color). I immediately asked SA is there any changes done exterior. He said nope sir. Noting. Only interiors changed. I immediately noticed no alloy wheels. Bummer!! Probably a bit of turn off for me on that. But hey if i think hard i guess price for this car suffice no alloys, i guess. :rolleyes:
    The wheel size is 14inch. No idea if its a bummer or not. GC is just 170mm. Thats a big big problem guys. I just passed a regular speed breaker with 20 speed and it touched the ground. SA was like oh my. I felt a bit bad of testing GC this way. Immediately said sorry.

Driving:
    I took the car for a spin for atleast like 30 mins. As already said did drive in all kinds of roads today purposfully. Small narrow roads to bit wide highway (not NH's). The steering felt good and responsive. Breaking seems to be good. Did drive fast and suddenly applied breaks and all such. SA was calm and he was supportive. Thanks to u dude. Suspension was smooth and not that hard. Looks like anti-roll bar was missing, i dont know. I sat at the back and still felt comfy suspension. Need to see in other cars as well. Could not feel the anti-roll bar support. Or perhaps i did not drive that way. Infact the data sheet doesn't mention that. The gear shift looked bit hard.

Interiors:
    Dashboard has been completely redesigned. It doesnt look WOW as others have, but OK. The speedometer display is shifted to center than in the drivers side. Looks like Toyota designers intended both the rider and driver needs to be aware of speed. For me it was a bit difficult to shift my focus from straight road to center position for keeping constant alert on the speed i am going in. Dashboard is now mix of beige and brown. Looks awkward and boring. Doors are full beige and even seats. The old thin sporty seats are gone. Seats now have been improved. Felt very comfy though. One good thing i liked is the the glove box did have an AC went inside which can be closed or opened. Very good to keep stuffs low temp. I liked the idea. The plastics felt good. Seats can be adjusted height wise, steering height adjustment is present. I like this too.

SA claims there is a 3 years or 1L kms engine warranty specially given by Toyota. I am not sure how far this is true. The on road price for top end was 7.8L. No VGT/FGT present as per SA. Could not cross 50 so dont know if Turbo was present or not really. Door felt very light. Back side space is quite good and so is the leg room.

My verdict?
    Cant say i wud choose this unless i try other 2 (Polo and Punto). However ATM all i can say is probably value for money but for old people. The young generation folks who are wild and adventurous i feel it doesnt add that heart touching feeling nor very impressive to be in it.

Hope have not missed out much. Please feel free to add/correct points.

Thanks and Regards,
    Zen :)
    3 people like this.
  2. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    good honest write up Zen!
    just had to sum it up with a point wise "pros and cons" section in the last if possible. :)
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    hmm.. Srry buddy, missed it. if I can edit now I'll add. but again I kept it simple and short tho.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Sham,
    Yes i have just taken up driving. Hence already stated in the original post that i am not an expert driver ;) But i just wanted to share this to just verify what i am thinking and testing in TD is correct from experienced drivers point of view.

But how can i put 10k on car ? Max i would like to go for 1 or 2 more TD's on this car and few others. None of my friends has Liva. But ya driving more on the same car would give better analysis.

I did read your analysis report. From your words it says your more experienced good driver and more good at analyzing cars. Me on the other hands isnt in your shoes yet :)

However, i would like to clarify on few points w.r.t to your report:

1. Plastic quality looked good to me but again i do not have experience feeling other car plastic in detailed as you would have. So i may or may not be wrong.
    2. Floor mats sucked. The SA said its a 3D mats. I wonder whats 3D in it. Was i suppose to look at it with 3D lenses? No idea. But what do you mean by Rear panel?
    3. Sadly i did not get to see the boot. Damn the SA had fixed immediate appointment after me and was eager to attend that one. So i just let him go. Any way even i wasnt that eager to dig in more on this car.
    4. Clutch part was easy and smooth Sham. Half clutch the car started to move. May be again i have to compare with other car models. Only experience i have so far is with Ikon and Swift.
    5. Even i tried to take turns with good speed perhaps 30. Felt that the car just took sudden tilt, though the rider did not sit on my lap :p I mean the turn was sharp, just sharp. Thats how it suppose to be? Dont know.
    6. I did tried to break at various speed (20-40), it did had good breaks. I braked hard and it stopped the car in just few meters. May be break was too tight? No idea. I need to compare with other cars.
    7. This new facelifted model had HU fitted but not too catchy look. USB support. No AUX (Top end model as well), Yes speakers only at front is a bummer. I was sitting in the rear and asked to increase the volume i could not hear it too good. Perhaps toyota wants only driver and rider to enjoy and rear riders to just take nap ;)
    8. The only thing i was really impressed w.r.t interiors is the bottle spaces designed, glove box AC vents. leg room.
    9. Gear shift felt too hard for me. I had good experience with Swift and Ikon. It always felt smoother. Even the gear style i found quite common in most cars (swift, ikon, wagon R, santro). But in liva, R is left of 1st gear. Usually R is below 5th right. But again i need to get used to it. Strange is, there is an extra button below the gear knob one has to press for shifting to R gear. hmm..really needed??
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Correct me if am wrong, every diesel engine these days comes with a Turbo charger (either FGT or VGT). So I believe if you took a TD of a diesel Liva, you might have felt that it was responding late to the acceleration a bit, that's due to turbo charger.

My experience says, most of SA folks do not know what's under the hood. More than SA, the customers possess knowledge about the product :p

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Imran,

I was sure that Liva did come with a Turbo charges, but i wanted to confirm hence i asked SA does it has turbo charger. TO which he replied, it has Turbo but not turbo charger. I was like HUH ok :confused: Wasnt sure if he did understood my qs.
    Any way after TD i wanted to cross check with Data sheet of Liva and found no mention of Turbo Chargers. Strange!!
    Are vendors not proud of turbos? Turbo's do add good value to the car right?
  8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @zenwalker there is nothing to be proud of turbo charger in a diesel car, as its necessary (mandatory) to have it in a diesel engine for ensuring optimum performance.

Liva diesel has a fixed geometric turbo fitted. What matters is the output (power) of the engine.

Now, petrol cars don't usually have turbo chargers due to different mechanism of fuel combustion. If you might be aware, TJet comes with turbo charger and that's something you can advertise proudly ;)

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    May be your right about Turbos being mandatory, but how many people will know about it and what addition do they add to the stock engine. So i think its good to mention some where that it supports VGT or FGT atleast.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    you got me wrong my friend. I meant get experience driving any car , just to get a feel of how different cars behave in different conditions, that way you will be better equipped to put in your views on a TD.
    that's all