1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Entire Car Rusted, Metal parts come off if you just touch!

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Soumik, Apr 25, 2016.

?

Has your car (Punto/Linea) rusted at one or more places?

1. Yes

43.8%
  2. No

56.3%
  1. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    Thinking not to buy. :)

How can I check if there is a current flow/leakage?
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You have two options, one is to sell or other is to refurbish with proper rust proofing and cutting out chunks of bad metal and welding fresh pieces.

That is if Fiat does not offer loyalty discount on paint work from FASS.

You can request and see. The body work manager can send pics to Fiat and take a quote.
  3. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    I do not think it is possible to cut our metal and replace it in the engine bay. Correct me if I am wrong.

Already showed the car to them multiple times.

I even contacted Fiat in March 2015 when my request was rejected.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    That's possible too. Not everyday, but detailed restoration could also mean removing stuff including engine or working around space in engine bay. Depends on what work needs be performed.
  5. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    I don't think it is worth of the value of the car. :)
  6. -akubat+

-akubat+ Timido

RS
    Linea 1.4
    What is warranty on rust in India, in Europe it is 8 years for Linea made in Turkey.

TT
  7. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    Original warranty of the car was of 2.5 years at that time. Fiat says that there is no separate rust warranty.

I missed the warranty by a few month when the entire car got rusted.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    That's one way of looking at it. Another is how much use it is to a user; i.e. how many more kilometers or years he/she intends to keep it. Value of car is not merely in monetary terms to many ;) That said you will of-course look at your practical needs and decide the 'value'. Cost of new car and depreciation is too much compared to value a restoration offers albeit at a cost.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  9. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Soumik : im just trying to think different here. We can accept rust on some parts of the car here and there. But a full body rust? sounds crazy. Either its a manufacturing defect or the dealer has sold you a old model doing some nice paint work. What is the VIN# of the vehicle? Had you done PDI while buying?
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Deepak environmental factors and water are big culprits too. That said yes Fiats are rusting quicker and don't come with rust warranty like VW which really don't rust as much even in harsher Mumbai environment.

But Fiat does give loyalty discount on tin work and paint depending on if claims were made before warranty period.