1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Entire Car Rusted, Metal parts come off if you just touch!

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Soumik, Apr 25, 2016.

?

Has your car (Punto/Linea) rusted at one or more places?

1. Yes

43.8%
  2. No

56.3%
  1. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    I have a 2012 Punto.

In less than 3 years the car got severely rusted. When I contacted Fiat in March 2015 they rejected my claim. In the mean time more parts started to rust!
    Now the car has just done 4 years in April 2016. On the 4th year metal comes off the rusted areas if you touch those with your fingers.

The entire car is severely rusted.

1. Both of the front fenders have rusted so badly that those need immediate replacement.

2. All 4 doors have rusted badly (includes door panels, hinges, lock areas, and the window borders).

3. The roof also has started to rust.

4. There is a huge amount of rust too on the left running panel and the same got inflated like a balloon due to rusting.

5. These is rust inside the hatch and on the rear crumple zone.

6. Areas inside the bonnet have rusted so badly that parts need to be cut out.

7. There is rust even on the front seat rails (inside the car).

Basically there is not a single area on the car that is not rusted.

What should I do now?

20160424_173044.jpg 20160424_173056.jpg 20160424_173237.jpg rust-1.jpg rust-2.jpg rust-3.jpg rust-4.jpg rust-5.jpg rust-inside.jpg
  2. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    What is the cause for rusting? Do you often take it to "drive in the beach" kind of activities?
  3. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Looks pretty bad.
  4. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    I don't "drive in the beach".

I am not sure why the car is so badly rusted. There is not a single area on the car that is not rusted!

Yes, it puts questions on the inconsistent finishing quality of Fiat. Does your car have any rust at present?
  5. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    soumik... not to scare you but did you buy this car also from Garodia???

Coz this kinda rust is in my 10yr old car which also sees similar climate conditions like yours... 100% humidity!!!

Coz if they went to the length of painting an entire car for you who knows what they've done in the past!!!
  6. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    Ah, not Garodia. At that time Garodia Fiat did not exist (March 2012).

I bought it from Lexus Motors (Tata-Fiat dealer at that time).
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 25, 2016, Original Post Date: Apr 25, 2016 ---
    More pictures....

There are rusts even on the underside metal part of the bonnet, which can't have stagnant water in any case as per the laws of physics.

bonnet-1.jpg bonnet-2.jpg bonnet-3.jpg bonnet-4.jpg bonnet-5.jpg engine-bay-1.jpg engine-bay-2.jpg engine-bay-3.jpg engine-bay-4.jpg engine-bay-5.jpg front-left-door.jpg front-left-door-lock.jpg front-right-door.jpg front-right-door-lock.jpg left.jpg left-fender.jpg rear.jpg rear-right-door.jpg rear-right-door-lock.jpg right-fender.jpg
  7. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    OMG, this is really horrible. I feel, it is really not safe to use this car. I think u need to take a call for restoring the car completely.
  8. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    How can I restore? Doors and fenders need to be replaced. Plus there are some areas in the engine bay that can not be restored.

The entire car is rusted.
  9. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    Why are you buying another Fiat despite this and the Garodia case?
  10. Umesh Kumar

Umesh Kumar Timido

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I think the portion on the right top of the engine bay where the rubber seals end are prone to rust. Our car has also developed rust there. There water stagnation is possible between the rubber seal and the metal panel. But everywhere else! I think your car has a build defect. Improper painting or the primer coating done using electrolysis has flaws at numerous places. It happens when the current passage was fluctuating and there is also a possibility of ground leak in your car from the electric circuit i.e your car's body is getting oxidized by current flow.