1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Temperature Gauge Query

Discussion in 'Technical' started by nand_nand, Oct 2, 2012.

1. nand_nand

nand_nand Amatore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this query. Today I observed a strange behavior with the coolant meter. The coolant meter is pointing to somewhere between "C" and the middle point. I read the manual where they say that the coolant meter should point to the middle always when the car is running. I had clocked around 4k kms and my car is just 3 months old. :-( Also today I drove about 450kms at a stretch without stopping the car. Whether the problem is because of driving the car continuously? Could someone advise me whether this is really a serious issue so that I can take my car to the service station and get it checked. Expecting a reply ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

-Nanda
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nanda, did you check coolant level?
    If its low, then top it up at TASC, no issue.

If coolant level is proper, then get it checked at service center soon.
  3. nand_nand

nand_nand Amatore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your reply. I have not checked the coolant level I will do it right away. If I am correct the coolant is a pink color liquid present on the left hand side of the bonnet?

-Nanda

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Hi Ravi,

I just checked my coolant level and it seems to be normal. Now the coolant meter is pointing to "C" even after I start the engine. According to the manual they say C stands for Cold fluid temperature and H stands for High fluid temperature. So is this really a serious issue to get it checked with TASC? :-(
  4. Nand, temperature will not go up to middle mark as soon as you start the engine. Check the temperature after few minutes of running.
    1 person likes this.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Soundar is correct. Once the car is started, the needle points at C only. After around 5-10 minutes (variable depending upon conditions and driving style) of driving, the needle reaches the mid-point between C and H.

In your first post, you told about driving 450Km continuously. There is no issue with driving continuously for 450Km. Our TFI members have driven upto 1500Km with small stops. When you noticed the needle between C and midpoint, were you driving for the past 10-15 miutes or did you check it after taking a break?
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I'm unable to comprehend your query.

Kindly elaborate w.r.t the following points

1.Does the temperature gauge needle always stay in between the C and mid mark.

2.Where was the needle during the 450km drive. Did it fluctuate or was it constantly at the mid mark?

Regarding your second post, the behaviour you describe is completely normal. That is the temperature gauge. If the engine is cold , it will indicate C ( c= cold) and the needle will gradually rise as the engine warms up and reaches its perfect operating temperature ( needle at mid). Kindly try to grasp this simple and fundamental concept.

Also, there are no limits on the distance you can cover in one go apart from the obvious - fuel.

Cheers.
  7. nand_nand

nand_nand Amatore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Sounder,

Thanks for your reply. I will check the temperature tomorrow.

Hi Yashik,

>>When you noticed the needle between C and midpoint, were you driving for the past 10-15 miutes or did you check it after taking a break?
    When the needle was pointing between C and mid point, I had parked my car after long drive. When I was driving I observed the needle was pointing to the middle point.

Hi Gurjinder,

>>1.Does the temperature gauge needle always stay in between the C and mid mark.
    When I was driving today I saw the temperature guage needle was pointing to the middle point. I parked my car for about 2 hours later I observed it was pointing to C. I tried starting my engine but still it was pointing to C.

>>2.Where was the needle during the 450km drive. Did it fluctuate or was it constantly at the mid mark?
    It was pointing to the middle point during my 450km drive.

I do understand that the needle points to C when the engine is cold and the needle points to H when the engine reaches higher temperature range. But my worry is in the manual they have mentioned it should hover to middle once the engine is started thats why I was bit worried.

Also I am sorry that I misunderstood the temperature gauge as coolant gauge. Could you please tell me whether there is any indication that will appear in dashboard if the coolant level goes down or the only way to see the coolant level is by opening the bonnet?
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Here you go the. Once we park our car, temperature of the engine starts going down slowly as it cools off. When we start driving again after a few hours, engine temperature is lower and soon goes back to mid point after driving some distance.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The needle will come to the mid level once the engine has reached it's operating temperature. When you boil water in a kettle, it doesn't reach boiling point the moment you turn the heat on, right? A similar thing happens with the engine. Nothing to worry about.

Yes that's the only way.
    2 people like this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Sounds like a non-issue to me.

@nand_nand : Here is how it works

1. When you crank the engine in the morning - assuming you have left the car parked overnight - the temp gauge will be at C
    2. Once you leave the engine running for sometime - parked or driving - the needle will slowly go up and settle at the mid point
    3. If you are driving spiritedly - redlining in every gear - and the outside temperature is hot - above 40 degrees - then the needle MAY sometimes go up beyond the mid point
    4. If you are cruising on the highway - 5th gear, 2000 - 2500 RPM, then the needle MAY come down below the mid point
    5. If the needle goes all the way to H and the light comes on - pull over and stop. Open bonnet and check coolant level

Please do not think that the temp gauge needle will shoot up to mid-point the moment you start the car and stay there no matter how you drive.

Rajan
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012