1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine takes time to stop even after Car is switched off - Please advice

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by arun.tpm, Jan 22, 2014.

1. arun.tpm

arun.tpm Timido

Dear Members, This is Arun from Chennai. I have recently bought a second hand Palio1.2 elx. The Car is so far good. But I feel is a weird experience. The engine takes time to stop even after the car is switched off. My friend told me, all fiat cars has the similar thing. Kindly explain me, is this a normal thing or a problem. Also please let me know what will be the cost of Clutch.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Its not the engine. Its the radiator fan which takes a while to stop. This is normal.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    5 people like this.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Not all fiat cars. Only Uno,Sienna & Palio acts like this.
    New generation MJD & petrol Punto & Linea doesn't have this.

Radiator fan of MJD & petrol punto & linea switch off as soon as you engine turn off.
    1 person likes this.
  4. arun.tpm

arun.tpm Timido

Hi Ramjn, Thanks for the prompt reply. Sorry am not well versed in automobile terms. I would like to change the Clutch, any idea what will be the cost for the same.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  6. arun.tpm

arun.tpm Timido

Thanks Ramjn. I already have his contact.

Thanks Bhai.
  7. pradeepg245

pradeepg245 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hi bhai, Even my Punto 1.2 takes time to switch off the radiator fan after the car is switched off.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It was a relay related issue, when sometimes it could not stop, in my Siena D. Get the wiring and relays etc. checked. Sometimes it may take just too long and may drain the battery too. The Fans IIRC, have hi-speed and low speed modes also.
  9. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    The delay is depending on the temperature. The You will notice the radiator fan running for longer period and full speed in sunny days or after long trips.
    It has to be that way, if it is shutting down immediately than that is worrisome.
    1 person likes this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You are right Channa, but it really puts a load on the battery. If I may suggest further, the sensor that triggers this operation and/or the relay can be a problem as well. If you think of it, the fans must run for some time to expedite the cooling of the hot coolant mix, after which they shut off and it goes back to passive cooling in a parked condition.

Now, sometimes the fan just runs at full speed and that too for a long time since the relay and/or sensor stops working. This puts too much load on the battery, and I can tell you with some conviction that this has even killed many batteries and fans too in a short period of time once the problem starts. :sad:

This problem firstly calls for careful inspection of the cooling system, including air traps in the coolant circulation or radiator leaks etc. It is seen that even if the radiator problem is solved, the problem of sensor and/or relay malfunction still persists.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.