1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Shudders when shutting down

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by srida, Dec 18, 2011.

1. The Engine shudders when I switch off the ignition. I am not sure if this is happened from the begining but only offlate I am noticing. I have noticed this because the shiver is stronger offlate. Is this normal or should there be some problem... Please shed some light on this...
    1 person likes this.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

happens in all diesel cars. initially the mounting is hard. after getting a bit older they become softer and then the engine wobbles while shutting it down. its very normal.
  3. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

it is definitely the turbo turning off. turbo revvs at a very high speed before coming to a complete halt even after the engine is turned off. so it is ideal to keep the vehicle idling for few seconds before turning off, it gives certain time for turbo to cool down.
  4. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Well I think the theory behind this is a bit different. I am not sure if this is the same in case of of MJDs. For petrol engines, the engine is shut off by cutting of the power to the spark plugs. So the engine shuts down without much shudder where as in the case of diesel engines the engine is shut down by restricting the flow of diesel from the pump. So the engine shudders without getting fuel & shuts down. May be experts can explain it briefly in technical terms. You could notice that this shudder is there in almost all the diesel engines especially the earlier jeeps, ambys etc.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    2 people like this.
  5. ramu_dodda

ramu_dodda Amatore

this is normal in diesel cars, same in my CAR. I have complianed to TASS in the same month when I purchased CAR, they said it is normal and have shown in other 3 new CARs, they also shaking like this when you switch on & switch off.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Very right Cinju bhai. You've hit the nail on the head.

The shudder on these Multijets is baby soft and barely noticeable as compared to the old diesels, which rock the entire vehicle body when they shut down.

Toyota came out with a very innovative solution on the older generation Turbo diesels ( In the late 1980's) when they installed a butterfly valve on the intake. On shutting the ignition off, the butterfly closed the intake and the engine died due to lack of air, very smoothly. As compared to engine shutting off due to lack of fuel.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
    4 people like this.
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Thanks Guru. Maybe you can explain the theory more briefly so that others would understand better.
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Its normal. shudder is there in my car also
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yes As per info from guru I think chev beat (D) also has this anti-shuddering mechanism.

I had noticed absense of shuddering in beat (D).
  10. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    @Gurjinder ji ,

I've read somewhere on TFI & I follow the same practice ,
    During 1st starting in morning I idle for 1min @800 rpm ,
    after a long drive before switching off the engine , I idle for half / 1 min & finally press the accelerator hard @2500-3000 rpm & imm. switch off ,to ensure there is no fuel left at the injectors.

Am I right ?