1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

engine replacement

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by palio_lover1, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Hi All,

Myself wanted to introduce as an unfortunate Palio lover. Hailing from Bangalore.
    I'm the third owner of a Palio Multijet, a 2008 Model. Bought it a year ago, and completed close to 15K myself. And the ODO reading is now ~81K. Used to get all the works at Rajesh's garage or at Gowri.

At 77k ODO replaced the timing chain and other related components. From then on I could feel a less pulling comparing to earlier. Now a new problem, fumes coming out of the dipstick. Checked with Rajesh, and one of the other FIAT service center as well. Both confirms as a clear indication of ring problem. No idea what to do next.

As far as I'm told, there are two options. Replacement of engine block including the rings and other parts? Get things done from a local laithe.

Folks, expert opinions needed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You
    2 people like this.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    When you open the engine you shall get the real picture of the condition inside. IF the bore is damaged then you need to think of rebore/ resleeve / change block. IF not just changing the piston rings will fix the issue.
    Is the timing set correctly? ensure that from FASS. Incorrect timing = incorrect compression = bad performance.
    1 person likes this.
  3. SX4enthusiast

SX4enthusiast Amatore

Hyderabad
    Are you sure that he had set the timing right? If not, it leads to many many problems at idle. Open the engine cover and have a clean look at the engine. If it is rusted or damaged, try replacing the engine to a second-hand or a new one. If it is in proper condition, check the piston rings and other parts. If the piston rings and other parts are damaged or rusted or spoiled, try replacing them with new ones. Do not try replacing internal engine parts with second hand ones as they may leak which may lead to improper combustion which will lead to bad performance. If the piston rings are also fine, give them for proper cleaning and polishing and porting which will result in huge improvements in performance.

All of these will work only in case if the timing belt and timing is set properly only. If it is not set properly, doing these is a useless job.

Wish you good luck!

Thanks,
    -SX4enthusiast.
  4. changed the timing chain kit. Is it possible to check the timing chain also at this stage? I hope you guys are saying if the timing is set improperly even if we do a engine work, again the problem will come up, correct? Really I don't know the timing chain kit is done properly or not. it was running fine till then. Used drive at 150-16okmph. Also this happened due to improper services of the earlier owners?

Vehicle is still in my Garage. Need to consult the FASS garage at the earliest ... may be this weekend. I was told by few friends, just opening and replacing the rings itself will cost not anything more than 40k. that is were I confused about a new engine block itself.

Really need help from TFiat. At least I will get a better idea what is going to happen when the FASS guys say ... replace these these parts!!

Much appreciated.

Thank You
    1 person likes this.
  5. SX4enthusiast

SX4enthusiast Amatore

Hyderabad
    Just go to some good FASS like Ankitha Motors and get the timing set correctly. Yes, we are telling exactly what you have mentioned. :)also, it is that when you go to unauthorized service centers, your OEM parts may be changed to their parts.

Thanks,
    -SX4enthusiast.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It could cost lesser also. When an engine is opened, the valves, timing chain (best to replace), Piston Rings, Piston Rods and all other items can be checked. Also, incase you are going for injector cleaning too along with replacement of Fuel Filter, etc. the cost could shoot up as per no. of items needed. Only items that have been worn out need to be changed. So a good mechanic or technician can suggest best remedy and also save costs from escalating haywire.

Please ask FASS for a quote, best to ask around for their best mechanic and take opinion.

Maybe a used MJD engine could turn out to be cheaper, but no guarantee of performance or reliability in long term is again a big issue.

Best of Luck.
  7. SX4enthusiast

SX4enthusiast Amatore

Hyderabad
    Any updates? Dear palio_lover1?

Thanks,
    -SX4enthusiast.
  8. First off sorry for late reply.
    Machine is in workshop. Not in FASS, but my brother's friends Workshop. As per the first investigation it is noticed the oil filter was completed ripped off by itself when they removed it! with that filter the car ran only ~650 kms. oil was sticky too. Now the problem is they were not able to get a correct type of filter to figure out the actual cause. Car is still in workshop. They started looking for filter from other other places.

I remember may be a year we changed the strainer due to a crack on it. But the sump was not damaged. Could be an issue with pressue/oil pump? Anyway the oil is getting very dirt. And one more update from the workshop guy was the timing chain was not in adjust. I was told a slight change is required in the adjustment. Since the filter is missing they are not able to identify the problem. Ordered filter from 99rpm just now. So probably by this week, I will come back with more updates.

fingers crossed.

Thank You
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. SX4enthusiast

SX4enthusiast Amatore

Hyderabad
    Get K&N filters. They are better than others and give better cleaning and performance too!

Thanks,
    -SX4enthusiast.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    All the tests done have been proven exactly the opposite. There is nothing worst than gifting your car a K&N