1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Refill

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by shakesin, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    BTW guys ive never noticed such a reduce on the oil in my MJD.. they did top it up during the Fiat camp but after that its normal and not reduced yet... :dance Its turning black though... :confused1 i guess its normal as i'm done 10500+ already...
  2. I need to check it in my car. Its been quite some time I have checked the engine oil level
  3. carOmania

carOmania

Pune
    Hi there,

I am having linea Petrol Emo Pack, its been 14000 kms.My car is also having high engine oil consumption and i have topped up till date 5 times.Although this was topped up free of cost as this issue has been acknowledged by fiat people and this would remain till 15000 kms. As per them issue of high engine oil consumption is generally in petrol fiat cars.
    Dude, this is known issue, engine oil toppup should be done free of cost.
  4. From here I understand it Seems I need to check the oil level, since it is already some months since my first service, and I haven't got a need to open the hood till now. (touchwood)
  5. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So i guess this holds good for Petrol varients... And for the MJD its not required to top up the engine oil.. As per my knowledge its the same level as of now in my car... no top up yet...
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Today morning I checked my engine oil and found the level was ok, but the oil had turned really black :? and my car has just 11.2K in 9.5 months. Now thinking of hitting TASC for second service by 12K/10months instead of waiting for 15K/12month limit.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    I do not seem to have faced this issue. I got the oil changed first at 7,700 kms (on my own, wanted to just do it) & then on 16,000 kms during 2nd service. At around 21,500 kms when I checked, the Engine oil level was just 10% lower than the max limit on the flat surface of Oil check rod.
  8. carOmania

carOmania

Pune
    High engine oil consumption is mostly found in fiat petrol cars not in all petrol cars. But this would stop when the car reaches 15000 kms.This issue is quite unexplainable and remains a mystry to me.
    Vahanpuri,
    As you said that your car's engine level has dipped a little. Ideally this should also not happen as engine oil level should never decrease unless and untill there is a leakage.
  9. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its normal buddy... Mines has run around 11000kms in 6months and the oil turning black now..
  10. R Alavandar

R Alavandar

Chennai
    Dear All, Modern synthetic oils are developed to have a long life and hence cost more too. Their life is generally four times that of mineral oil.There is no point in changing the synthetic oil premature unless the engine is old, compression rings are worn and oil condition has deteriorated or fuel dilution oil is observed. (These conditions will be evident from other symptoms like lack of power, high oil consumption, black smoke etc etc). Engine manufacturers carry out extensive studies including actual running of the engine on a particular oil before certifying it for a certain distance or running hours. In this process, they test the oil samples at specified intervals for KV at 40degC, KV at 100degC, TBN (total base number), flash point, water content, suspended particles, etc. And like someone earlier mentioned, they do keep some safety margin and hence the question of us taking safety margin over and above that and changing early is a waste. Oil turning black due to usage is normal. So we can close our eyes and follow their instructions rather than loosing on a technical advancement offered by Fiat over others. I vote for 15000 plus km and not less.