1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Refill

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by shakesin, Jun 16, 2010.

1. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Not sure if this has been asked b4, Well why do we need to top up the engine oil now and then, i think i have topped it up the 3rd time after 9k KMs that i have done on my punto.
    Not sure where all the oil is going, i thoroughly check the parking areas if there is any leakage, but none. Haven't raised this with the ASS yet, but oil does not evaporate right, so where the hell is it vanishing. :cry:
    Does is get burnt when we rev it up suddenly?
    Shake
  2. Good question, but how do you know the oil needs a topping :confused . Is the Oil level going below the min mark?
  3. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Well i just check the oil level, while topping it for the 2nd time(during the fiat camps), they topped it up to the max, however checking after 3000kms, it was very close to the min level. Im worried if we don't check it often, may lose the engine :firey (assumption)
    shake
  4. Well this doesnt seem to be normal. You definetely need to get it checked up ASAP.
  5. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Well, I have just filled it up to the max, so now just observing on how much am i loosing. don't really find it to be a big issue as the service interval is 15k and that's why the top up job is done right? Probably loosing lot of it is dangerous, will get to know in a few days. Just wanted to know where the oil goes? :redcar
  6. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The only logical reason I can come up with here is evaporation. Any oil (synthetic or mineral) tends to evaporate (mineral evaporates more than synthetic due to difference in volatility). Oil is a petroleum product. All petroleum products are essentially hydro carbons and hydro carbons do evaporate (that is why after all the hydro carbons are consumed / burnt : what you get is sludge !!)
    The evaporation is not as fast or rapid as water : but yeah : there is evaporation to some extent. Some oil is also burnt (if you revv too much regularly)
  7. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

If the oil level is anywhere on the "flat" rough area.
    And if the level is below the middle of the flat. then a topup is needed.
    If it is above the middle in the flat part, then it is not needed.

Even I had a lot of oil consumed in my 1.4 E+ at 14,000 kms i did a refill...
    You gotta spend , take some trouble to keep the car in good shape.

The oil is not leaked anywhere, it goes out the exhaust.. (normal conditions)

The 1.4 is so addictive, that it begs :twisted: to be revved hard!! :redcar :redcar :redcar :redcar
  8. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    So it evaporated :!: the finest form of oil is all gone off the exhaust :A
    I this time over filled the oil tank i guess, it was at the minimum level, so added like 1l of oil(OD). Hope there are no complications caused by that?
  9. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Dont fill oil over the flat part on the dip stick!!

Excess oil will come out of the dip stick hole.. extra oil will burn may cause internal damage.

So its better to keep re-filling 10 times rather than over filling!! You gotta take care of your baby...

Its just like when you over eat, and all that food you like is just waiting to burst out of you..>!!

Dont fill excess oil.
  10. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    thanks chaos, will watch it next time, will check it soon for damages