1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

engine oil level

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drgopusankar, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

To each his own.
    I will lose sleep over it.:)
    Loss of a litre of oil is not normal for the MJD.
    Not that i want to scare you,but keep an eye on oil level for next few thousand kms.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. bins

bins Amatore

Bangalore
    Patchyboy you have a point. "The range btn Min and max corresponds to Apprx 1 ltr of oil" says the manual. I should have read it carefully!! :p

I will be opening my bonnet more often than ever.
    2 people like this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ Glad to read this post. I have always advocated reading the manual carefully, at least once. For one, it will put a lot of doubts to rest. No need to memorize the manual, but I am sure if one has read the manual and one has a doubt later on, one is most likely to remember having read about it in the manual and check to confirm.

Rajan
  4. amar_gahir

amar_gahir Amatore

Delhi
    Guys.....i was observing that car engine noise is getting more day by day. Engine was feeling more strained. Thought of checking engine OIL.... and i got shocked.

Almost 0.75 to 1 litre is extra. :-O

Called FIAT 24x7 and they confirmed that excess oil needs to be removed. He advised to remove half liter minimum.

I have already covered around 5000 kms after the service. I feel service guys have filled extra. Any Damage already engine could have faced due to extra engine oil. Please suggest.

Note: Car was not started for 2 days before checking the oil level.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Can you walk me through the method by which you checked oil level?

Did you clean the dipstick firstly and then insert again to check level? If yes, how much higher was the oil level than the "knurled" portion of the dipstick?

Cheers.
  6. amar_gahir

amar_gahir Amatore

Delhi
    Yes bhaji.. checked 10 times to be sure after cleaning the dipstick with cloth.

Called FIAT 24x7. That guy also checked 4-5 times. and its higher than "knurled" portion equal to the "knurled" length. and as per my understanding min-to-max is 1 liter. hence i concluded its almost equal to .75 - 1 liter extra. now waiting for Service center guys to recheck it and remove it.
  7. amar_gahir

amar_gahir Amatore

Delhi
    Removed around 750 ml....now level is little above the max (2mm). Did not start the car for 2+ days so let it little high.

Also, guy suggested me that there is little noise of timing belt. Not sure if he was right. My car is at 60K. I'll be going to chd then manali next week. hope this timing belt issue will not cause any issue.

What is your opinion Gurjinder bhaji ?
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Where was your last oil change done never visit that place again. Upto 100ml is ok and maybe because of oil oil left in car but 750 ml is pure negligence by person that changed oil. I guess he poured complete 4 litre can.
    If you have started hearing strange metal noise on cold start for 2-3 secs the chain have to be changed ASAP.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  9. amar_gahir

amar_gahir Amatore

Delhi
    Yup.. last service was done from Kashayap Fiat Noida. That was worst service i got in last 4 yrs of ownership. Already escalated. There were many issues with the service. They did not even reset the service interval. and worst paint job....anyways.. that was sorted out with escalation.

but i wish i could have checked engine oil levels. I have already run 5k after service. is there anything i need to worry? yes.. i was driving at 100-130 during those times.

Also, is it normal to see Timing chain replacement at just 60k. I read some of the posts in this forum that it was only for Punto 90HP.
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    If theres no excessive blowby through dipstick you should be fine just get intercooler cleaned.
    Timing chain replacement interval is a big question, I have seen 2 cars with stock chain cross 1 lac kms and have seen car with broken chain between 70-80k kms at ASS. Fiat recommends 60k kms chain change interval only in Linea and not in Punto 75 or 90 HP.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013