1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

engine oil level

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drgopusankar, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There is one more thing here, if you keep hold the key after MAR for long time(say more than 2 secs) the cranking sound(Kerr Kerr ) will be two to three times more than normal.Sometimes this misleads to Battery gone old,but it isnt.Just for info.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4
  2. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    If the warning light remains on, several seconds after start up, shut the engine off immediately. Check the oil level and fill as necessary. If the warning light remains on when the oil level is correct, there are a number of possibilities that may be the cause of the problem:

1. The oil pressure switch could be faulty.
    2. The wiring between the oil pressure switch and warning indicator could be grounded or disconnected.
    3. The oil pump may have lost its prime.
    4. The oil pump intake screen could be clogged.
    5. The oil pump pressure regulating valve could be stuck in the open position

If the light is on only for 2-3 seconds in cold start, then I guess there is no problem and the car can be driven safely.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  4. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

Banagalore
    I turn to Mar and then wait to all lights to turn off and then crank..but now frequently iam facing one problem that is after waiting for all the lights to turn off and try to crank..my key don't turn towards ignition again I have turn to off and try next attempt. . What could b this problem ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
  5. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    You must be jumping Mar. Land on Mar, (not mars :p ) with a light hand . I face similar situation some rare times when I turn the to Mar a little too hard.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  6. bins

bins Amatore

Bangalore
    Ha so strange!! Today I took my vehicle to the FASS. The dip stick showed it to the min level. The SA speculated it should be less than 1 ltr and so did I.
    Took the vehicle up on ramp and inspected to see no traces of oil leak. The SA then went to top up the oil. For that he drained the oil first to see how much to top up. Then came the surprise. The drained oil measured to atleast 2.3Ltrs when we were expecting (almost certainly) less than 1 ltr!!!
    My mjd is healthy :)
    Whats that dipstick then?
    Topped it up with 1 ltr and the dipstick now shows full.

Examined with the OBD to find "Dusk sensor error failure" which should be attributed to the rat attack I had. Erased the error and rechecked to find it not again.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The dipstick is absolutely accurate as proven by your case itself.

The "knurled" portion of the dipstick measures 1L only. Since the dipstick was showing minimum level, it meant there is an exact shortage of 1L oil in the engine. When you put in that 1L, the oil went to max again i.e. 2.3+1+ the bit of residual oil which does not come out.

So, the dipstick did it's work perfectly.

If the SA did not know this - then #epicfail.

Cheers.
    3 people like this.
  8. bins

bins Amatore

Bangalore
    Aaha thats news. Nobody enlightened me on this before (even on this thread). I wouldn't have even been bothered if I knew this.
    I would'nt consider 1ltr(or less) loss in 12K kms as abnormal.
    Ha good piece to know. Thanks!!
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  9. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    3.3 ltr brings the level to max. If the engine consumes 1ltr, the dipstick will go to minimum So there will be 2.3 ltrs left inside. That is not surprising.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Minimum is not equal to empty :D

Rajan