1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

engine oil level

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drgopusankar, Apr 15, 2012.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Fiatlover,
    Exactly sir. I open bonnet (commented this in another thread already) atleast 1s in a week and check Engine coolant, viper fluid, Break fluid. But not the engine oil and steering liquid level. Will do this weekend for sure. Had forgotten about this. Stupid me :uh
  2. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    zenwalker,

you have viper fluid under your hood. your car sure is a killer:evilsmile
    4 people like this.
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys, pardon me for the wrong usage of the word. I meant the water container for the vipers. :(
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Ill share an incident.
    My friends dad had an old M800,one day it overheated.
    He opened the engine oil outlet,poured water in it and drove back home.
    And everyone can guess,what happened next.:)
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ Not bad, I think. He knew the engine overheated and he knew that he has to pour water into a container under the bonnet. Just got the wrong hole :D

Rajan
    4 people like this.
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys, no offense to any body.

Have we not gone too much OT here? If gurji paaji see this, he just wipes it clean ;)
  7. bins

bins Amatore

Bangalore
    So much of discussion when I asked about the engine oil level and the engine oil light staying for 2-3 sec. Now I understand I have to lay more carefully and descriptively when I ask a question. I read the manual when and then there is a need. Before posting here I had already read in the manual that a small amount of oil diminishes in some 1000kms(if i remember right). But by how much(to as low as min if I dont top up)? Thats when I felt to bump a question here. I noticed this after a round trip of 4000+kms last week. And I am no expert.
    My concerns were the car running continuously for 4-5 hrs(at times even to 7 hrs) would pose such problems(no overheating though).
    Now that I am getting my car to the ASS. I dont feel any drop in power, no hard starting, no traces of oil anywhere underneath.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

A healthy engine especially the MJD will not let the engine oil level drop even after 10K kms.I have noticed this in mine.
    But people have reported some oil consumption in 1.4L FIRE.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Sorry bins. Most of the discussions were triggered off by the post 2 posts after your question. However, in the past 12000 kms, if you have never checked the engine oil level, it is not a good thing. Please make it a habit to check that at least once a month / every 2000 kms, if not more frequently. If you have indeed never checked in the past 12000 kms, there is no way of knowing if FASS filled correct amount last Feb, right?

Having said that, the level you are indicating now is indeed low. Top up, or take for servicing. This time, make sure the oil shows to "MAX" when taking delivery of the car and keep checking occasionally, so you will know how much oil is being consumed.

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  10. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    If the engine light stays on for 2-3 secs after turning on the engine and then goes away , does that really indicate anything abnormal ?

Or should it go away immediately after a start ? It does remain 2-3 secs for me and my oil levels are upto the mark as I serviced my car 2 weeks ago , how about others ?
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013