1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

engine oil level

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drgopusankar, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Ok so you mean to say if the company say 15K interval,in between,you wont have a look at the engine,and find out whats going on below the hood?
    Or probably you will wait for the MID to throw up a low oil level warning.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Source - Maintenance Section of Owner's Manual:

Engine Oil Level.JPG

Don't flame me when I say people do not read owner's manual. They don't. Period.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Sorry rajan, saw other section of servicing (noticed for 15k its to be done) and might have skipped or overlooked the rest. My mistake.
    Btw thanks
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  4. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I do read the manuals. The only problem is that I forget everything in it after a few weeks. :D
    1 person likes this.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^,
    +1 to that.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    OK people. I withdraw my statement. Every car owner reads the manual from first page to last page, even before leaving the showroom. Happy?

Having said that, when I have a question - TFI is usually the last option for a source, user manual being the first. No harm in keeping it handy and looking up to see if one's doubt is already addressed there, before getting on a public forum and showcasing one's ignorance, don't you think?

Try posting such questions in stackoverflow - most likely, the first response will be "What have you tried?"

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  7. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Could not agree more. We want "quick information". Very few want to take the pain of going through the printed stuff. Many, so called, enthusiasts are oblivious to the details of their cars that are so obviously printed in the manual.

Forget manual : I know of people who call their "friends" to ask "How much oil should I put in the car. Shall I empty the entire 4 litre can"? Needless to say they are also flaunting "definitive" and "passionate" stickers on their cars!
    2 people like this.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    There is no harm in checking the two bare minimum things under the hood at least once a week: Engine oil level and coolant level.
    There is no harm either in keeping a litre of each in the boot. May be you can add one more to this list- brake fluid.

A friend of mine calls me and tells, the steering is very tight. I told him to check the steering fluid. He: where is it located? Me: You will see a round shaped container. Its lid has the pic of steering. He: looks like the fluid is low or almost empty. Me: better dont drive. call RSA or nearest SC.
    On inspection, they found out that there is a leak in the hose which lead to leakage.
    Why this story above? If you open the hood at least once in a month or so, you can manage situations better instead of waiting for 15k service.

Another friend's i10 didnt start one fine morning. To him, car is just a device that carries him from point A to point B. He calls the service center. They find out that the notices/advertisements that someone placed under the wiper arms were sucked to the air filter and jammed! He just had to open the boot and check for any visible indications.

To do all these or any of these, one first needs to be interested in the device that carries him from point A to point B. Even after reading and understanding the manual cover-to-cover, how many of us really bother do the basic checks :)
    Those who ask questions dont have the time to search whether the info is already there. The easiest way is to post a query, someone is sure to respond.
    3 people like this.
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Reading the Manual or not.
    Engine oil to an engine is like Blood to human body.
    A certain level needs to be maintained,and this is as basic as it gets.
    As each and every car needs it.
    1 person likes this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    There are many owners, who do not even know how to open the bonnet. I do not blame them. Not every single car owner is fussy about the car, or curious to understand the car better, so they can use it better.

What gets my goat is this - these above owners get on an online forum and under the cloak of anonymity, claim to be enthusiasts. They want to discuss 0-100 timings of various models available in the market, but the vast majority have not yet timed themselves. Of the few who have indeed timed, a very small percentage have been able to beat the numbers quoted by the manufacturer. When a new member signs up, they dole out all kinds of advise to him. They ask questions on run-in periods and safe driving techniques, but then drive around without wearing seatbelts, claim to have driven at speeds of 150+, depress the clutch fully when applying brakes and then complain about brake pad wear.

No one here is trying to judge any one else. Just be yourself, at least when talking to people who have never met you. How hard can that be?

Rajan
    2 people like this.