1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

engine oil level

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drgopusankar, Apr 15, 2012.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai

I recently brought my MJD from First service and in which one of the action item was "Correcting torque of drain plug and leak arrested'. Now on a cold engine when i look up the dip stick the level is lesser than the MAX level, slightly lesser than it used to be after delivery. Could the reduce in level be attributed to the leak from the drain valve which tightened in wrong torque setting?

Can I insist the TASS for a free topup up to the max level once again. pl advice.
  2. You can insist the TASS people for a top up definitely and you have to do it, as the level may come down further after another 7000 kms or so.( normal though).. oil will be changed only during the second service. regarding your doubt, I invite other TFIians to throw some light...
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    First oil change will be done at 15K/1year service.
    slightly less than max is OK. Remember more than Max is also harmful for engine. More over since you checked it in cold condition it is low.
    Worry about only if it is near min or between min and half level.

-Enjoy the drive
  4. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Those guys never bothered to do it, even after setting the right torque for the drain post noticing the leak, why such a lethargy, could not understand, is Selenia Full Synth 5W40 avaialble in counter so i can procure it and fill it carefully when engine is cold using a funnel, will it be a good suggestion ?

Thank you, it is lesser than Max level and in middle between Max and half, as i asked above, can i insist the TASS for a free top up in my presence or shall i procure the Selenia 5W 40 myself and topit up till the max ? pl advice ?
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Middle between max and half on a cold engine means it is more than half on a hot engine. You don't have to top up now. During 1st service you will recieve remaining unused oil
    which you keep with you for next top up if it required.

-Drive fiat
  6. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai

First service already over, they have not topped the engine oil, even after correcting the drain plug torque setting which was not accurate subjecting to a minor leak. Post correction, the topup was not done by the TASS and was not intimated to me as well, which i presume to be the reason for this reduction as against a full mark oil stain that was evident during the initial days of purchase way back in Feb/March 2012.

Question: Can i buy selenia 5W40 off the shelf and top it up carefully. with a funnel. kindly advice. I lost my pen drive that i had connected to the USB socket which i forgot to remove before giving the car. Can i complain them to Concorde head office.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    First enquire at TASS itself. It can be that they have removed it and kept it some where. I think there is no use in reporting at concord head office since if some body has taken they are not going to accept it. You can try.

Selenia cannot be purchased at TASS. TASS has a general check up option in which they top up all fluid levels. In that case strict monitoring is needed to check whether they are pouring the correct oil. The quick service section has less experienced persons. Other option is to borrow it from another person if he has it.Here I am giving link to my post showing low oil level and level after filling)http://www.teamfiat.co.in/engine-compartment/309-engine-oil-change-selenia-any-other-synthetic-27.html#post103910

Please include your place in your profile so that people can help you in better way.
  8. bins

bins Amatore

Bangalore
    From some weeks I am noticing that on starting, the engine oil light stays(on the speedometer console) for 2-3 seconds after the engine comes to life. Yesterday when I checked the dipstick, the level is some where near the min level(may be just above the min). I did my second service at some 14000kms last Feb. Now it has run 26K kms.
    My runs are generally highways and when on highway it usually runs some 400kms in a stretch(some 5 hrs in a stretch or may be higher).
    Should I worry or is it normal?
    I have never topped up.
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

You never checked the engine oil level in between:eek:
    This is low,and not normal,top it up and keep an eye on level in future,if the level goes down again,then you have weak compression.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    That is why we have the servicing at every 15k right? Where in the tops ups are done. Also i read in other thread that adding/changing oil in between is a waste as during the servicing it would be changed.

Checked the manual and its mentioned that every 15k or 1 year it has to be top up or changed.

So any reason it would go to min level in between this duration (kms or time line )??