1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil level

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by clash81, Dec 27, 2011.

1. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks everyone for the valuable suggestions and opinions. Despite all the reassurances, the suspicious animal that i am (when it comes to my vehicle, dont misunderstand! :p), i clicked a few pictures of the dipstick today evening. My car was parked in my office parking lot for around 6 hours before these pictures were clicked. IMG_20111228_160927.jpg

Please let me know what you guys make out of these pics.
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    6hours are not enuff to judge the oil level.Overnight is the perfect method or around 10-12hours will give u the correct level.Why i feel ur oil level is above the max limit??
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Clash81, did you clean the dipstick once and then checked the level? Or just took it out and clicked the pic.

The correct way is to clean the dipstick firstly, and then check level.

Cheers.
  4. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    i just took it out and clicked the pic. That means, another pic is soon coming. :)

thanks for letting me know Gurjinder.
  5. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    you can check the engine oil level after 15-20 minutes of switching off the engine (it is written in the manual). and yes recheck after cleaning the dip stick
  6. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    ^^ Wrong method.I dont know why on earth that is written in the manual.After u switch off the engine obviously u wont get the correct reading cuz oil would be all over the running parts lubricating it,which would take time to settle down.So how would u get the correct reading?? Best way is to keep it overnight and check in the morning when engine is cold.
  7. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I clicked another pic taking in to account all the suggestions from you folks. This pic was clicked after 5.5 hrs of my car being parked in a level surface. The overnight method wont work for me because the apartment parking has a slight inclination. IMG_20111229_163823.jpg

from this it looks like there is oil up till the half way mark. is this a satisfactory level?
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Level is sufficient. No harm in adding a little more oil. I usually fill oil to one-fourth of the crosshatch area.
  9. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Add some oil!!
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Your first 15k service is near and oil will be changed in that service adding oil will be a waste of money now. Approx 300 ml needs to be added to bring level to max. Your car still have approx 2.9 ltr oil
    This drop would have happened in the run in period in which oil consumption is a little higher than normal.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
    sdp1975 likes this.