1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil level

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by clash81, Dec 27, 2011.

1. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Folks... my punto is fast approaching 15k kms and is due for service. However after reading a thread about blinking MID, where in there was a reference about engine oil being very less, i checked my punto's too.

To my amazement i see that there is only very little of the oil left probably 15- 20cms on the dip stick. I checked the manual, it says about a min and max levels that are marked on the dip stick. I could not find it.

Now, if engine oils drop to such low levels nearing 15k kms, why is Fiat proposing this idea of 1st service at 15k kms? :confused:

And if the oil level drop to critical levels, would the MID pop up some message or is it that the car would run without the adequate amount of oil and eventually the engine seize or screw up?

I will be taking my vehicle for service next week and i have around 400 kms more to run to reach 15k.

thanks in advance!
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Clean the dipstick and you'll see a crosshatch pattern on the base. That , according to me, is the level indicator. At the top of this pattern is the Max level and the bottom, just where this crosshatch ends, is the min level. The level should be somewhere between the two.

15-20 cm's on the dipstick is a lot. I think you must've meant 15-20 mm's. :p

And check the oil level only when the engine is cold and the car has been sitting on level ground overnight.

As for why FIAT went for the 15,000km interval - God knows! ;)

Cheers.
  3. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks Gurjinder for the reply and you are correct about my goof up on measurements! :)

Will check the oil levels once again to confirm.
  4. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    To my amazement, last Friday i took my punto 1.4 em pk for its 15k kms service (2nd free service) SA in concorde noticed that the oil was almost diminished to lower level - i watched in horror !!

how can that happen? i remember checking oil levels at 12k kms when i went to mysore, and it was just below the upper mark - So that takes the count to 2... who else?
  5. sachinls3

sachinls3 Amatore

Pune
    I just did 2nd servicing my punto (1.2). I checked the dip stick yesterday and I see that the engine oil level above max level. Can this be a cause of concern? It's at least 4 to 5mm above max.
  6. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    over the max limit will cause oil to leak (was told by mechanic), try going to a level ground and check the levels again, do it in cold condition, when hot oil may raise a bit and hence showing wrong readings on the dip tester? (liquids expand in cold isn't it?
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    When we take delivery of our car after routine service, especially if it invloves oil change, make sure you check the engine oil level. It's a pity, but we have to!
    The service center guys pour just the minimum required quantity of oil. Assuming that all is well for the next 1000 kms, we won't check the engine oil level for some time, and we check after a few 100 kms only to see that the oil level is below or near the minimum mark.:eek:
    Thinking there is some leak, we tend to take the car again to SC to "top-up". Once topped-up to the max level, we will notice that oil doesnt "dry up" fast for the next 1000 kms at least!

Not saying that all SC's do this, but many do.
  8. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Okay, i should check the oil levels when i take my vehicle after the 15k service. Thanks fiatlover for bringing up this point.

by the way, if the level of engine oil is way below the required level would the MID show some messages?
  9. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    TASS overfilled 1.5litres oil in my 1.4.I drove 1000kms after that and got the oil change done outside.On draining found 3.5litres of oil which was excess,imagine how much oil would still be remaining inside :confused: I was lucky enuff that i didnt make heavy/long or high speed usage of the car and i never rip my car.Maybe a reason i found no leak or such.Poured in 3litres for now and level seems to be fine upto the mark.Before this oil change the dipstick would show way above the max level around 2inches above the crosshatch.

TASS :A

@clash81

MID doesnt show any warning message for low oil level.You've to keep checking the level urself in the morning when the engine is cold!!
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That's an insane amount of overfill ! 1.5 litres. You are lucky the oil didn't start leaking from everywhere like Niagra falls.:)

As for the low level warning, i think the MID would some error atleast if the level goes dangerously low. Because low oil amount in the engine = low oil pressure and that will definitely trigger an alarm.

Cheers.