1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil drained out engine stalled..what next

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by mkjust4u, Nov 1, 2012.

1. mkjust4u

mkjust4u Timido

Belgaum
    Last Wednesday I drove on a particularly bad patch of road and halted in a Jungle Camp Shelter for the night.
    Next morning I decided to drive back to town. The indicator for engine oil pressure was red. i mistakenly did not check for leakage. I decided to somehow drive the car upto the roadhead out of the hilly portion. The MFD showed "stop car and check engine".
    The engine shut down and was towed to the TASS.
    the service centre guys told me that the oil chamber was dented causing drainage of engine oil. then they asked for my permission to open up the engine. They told me that the engine had to be opened as there was variation in its sound after restarting.
    Now they have told that a whole lot of parts have to be changed due to

damage in valve/piston which requires machining(?) to rectify
    damage in oil chamber
    many other technical terms that i could not gather

please advice on actual damage and cost factor

the service centre has already quoted Rs 35000/-
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dear O dear,,,,,
    that is the reason one should have atleast reasonable knowledge of "how the engine works...:ugeek:"
    Something leakage with Oil is serious issue ,you should have not driven when you are getting the message on the display.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Thats why we have the car talk to us via MID. Shouldn't have continued when the MID asked you to stop and check.

I guess FIAT should have programmed the ECU in such a way that when there is a stop and check engine message it should automatically switch off the engine.

Btw, How did the oil chamber got dented when we have a protective plate underneath? Was the stretch you drove so bad with constant scrapping of the body?
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    naveen,
    valid point !!!
    Experts:- Why ECU has not been programmed like the above said comment,any reason ?
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @mkjust4u
    Engine would have to be overhauled as pistons,cylinders and head would have taken beating in form of scuff marks. Claim insurance, these things happen.
    If you would not have driven without engine oil you would have to shell out only 500 for oil pan + labor charges.
    It's a lesson for everyone to take MID warnings seriously especially the Injection system, Oil Pressure, brake fluid and temp gauge.

@Ganges and naveen2cool
    Because it can be a safety hazard. Imagine you are doing 100+ and suddenly ECU kills your engine sensing some fault, the moment engine goes off (power stering and brake booster would stop functioning) How would one stop and steer the car than
    10 people like this.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    This is a case of underbody(read oil sump) hitting some stone or so resulting in leakage.

The warning appears sufficiently early on the MID so that you can stop and check before something worse happens. Whenever any warning appears, be it serious or not, always best to stop the car and check. If you have no idea of what the message text means, just go through the owners manual; it has all the warning messages explained in a table, somewhere at the end.
    2 people like this.
  7. Vijay Sir,

Your knowledge on these aspects is second to none,i am proud to be in the same forum with you.
    -Sat
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Vijay ji for the info,that means ECU have already done its written job of "Displaying the Message" . :)
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    When you hit your car from beneath, you should have always checked for the damage and not continued further. When the red light was glowing, there should have been no doubt in your mind about even starting the engine.

Whats the role of engine oil in multijet engine -

1. Turbo runs on oil - without oil its dead.

2. Valves - mjd has hydraulic valve tappets. No oil- they are gone

3. Timing chain- has a hydraulic piston actuated self adjusted - no oil, piston screws up.

Apart from above main differences, Piston rings, crank shaft bearings, journals , camshafts and other vital parts if starved of engine oil in any IC (internal combustion engine) gets screwed up.

If they are giving you an estimate of just 35000kms - man you are luckly. Howeven when then open up the engine they might find more parts damaged.Expenses might shoot up.

Dont know how many kms you drove without the oil so cant really judge the amount of damage.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

How much does it cost to overhaul a MJD engine at TASS?