1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

engine oil consumption in 1.4 fire

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by karan desai, Oct 3, 2012.

1. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    yes the volume is one litre between min and max mark as mentioned in the manual. i think i will get the compression checked but its impossible to find a good garage in our area so will have to wait for some time. thanks.

italia just opened the spark plugs but cud not take them out as i did not have the proper tool. i could only reach to the top end of the plugs. will take the car to my mechanic and ask him to check. you guys are really helpful. besides i googled for the causes of oil consumption and nowhere is it mentioned EGR can be the cause. are you sure 1.4 has a EGR. then i will surely like to get it cleaned.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune

Who said EGR is the cause of oil consumption? EGR has nothing to do whatsoever with the engine oil. Forget the EGR for a while and concentrate on oil loss issue.
  3. GoDofWaR

GoDofWaR Novizio

mumbai, india
    my linea 1.4 engine oil consumption is around 350-400 ml/1000 kms.even in the brochure its mentioned max consumption is 400 gm/1000kms.i have come to this conclusion because my dad has been taking the car to his office which is 100 km from mumbai so everyday a 200km ride and for the whole week the total comes to roughly 1200km.whenever i check the dipstick on sunday the oil level is usually just a little bit above halfway mark.
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

400ML/1000kms?,i think that is too much,can other 1.4 owners confirm this?
  5. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    This is the same thing reported by J Ravi.

My linea 1.4 also.consumes about 700ml. to a litre in 5000km .

Fortune cars ,tass in nerul, is arranging a compression test upon my request. Have to find time as been traveling since last few weeks.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  6. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

500-700ML in 5K kms is still acceptable to some extent.
    but 400ml/1000kms is 2L for 5000kms,which is extremely high rate of consumption,and i dont think a healthy engine should consume oil.
    TSI engines of VW group also consume some oil initially but once the rings and pistons bed in properly,there is no consumption of oil.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    SJ,

Keep us updated on the test. To me even 100ml of consumption is too much. Had we been driving around in sportscars whose engine revved to 9000rpm, then i could've understood the consumption. But in basic understressed engines such as the FIRE, it's a bummer. Even the Palio D manual says something like 500ml every 7000km's but in 1.4 lakh km's it is yet to burn anything.

Either the oil is at fault or the engine.

Is anyone experiencing consumption with aftermarket oils other than Selenia?

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  8. GoDofWaR

GoDofWaR Novizio

mumbai, india
    do we really need to get all worked up about the consumption since its clearly stated in the brochure that max consumption is 400gm/1000 kms which J Ravi sir stated comes to around 450 ml/1000kms. i think we can safely assume that 300ml/1000 kms is optimal.if the consumption is higher than 450 ml then we really need to do compression test.Also i would like to mention that my car runs on petrol/cng.i have asked the driver to drive atleast 10-15kms on petrol at specific intervals.i dont think running on cng can affect the consumption that much since its mentioned that cng increases the life of lubricating oils by not contaminating or diluting it.i will wait for results of shahjahans linea and then decide if i should do the compression test.i believe in "if it aint broken dont fix it."
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I will not say whether the oil consumption is very high considering what the manual says. But my Punto does not consume that much oil. I always keep a liter of Selenia in the car I add only some 200-300 ml after long intervals,certainly more than 1000 kms. Since I haven't seen the engine oil level as an issue to be concerned, I haven't observed it very closely, so don't have more accurate statistics.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It depends on your personal preference. If you're okay with consumption, then nothing like it. Manufacturers put in a fair bit of clauses in Owner Manuals to save them potential headaches. Specifying X ml amount of consumption over X distance is one of those clauses. It's the same case with almost all manufacturers. Is it the way it should be - No.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.