1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

engine oil consumption in 1.4 fire

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by karan desai, Oct 3, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It's really difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. Unless we are to disassemble and compare two engines - a non-oil consuming one and one which consumes , say 500ml every 5000km. Only then can we establish a correct reason.

Being 2012, i believe the engines leave the factory in a similar spec and tolerances. And we only need a bare minimum amount of running it in till we can really thrash the engines as we feel like.

It is during this running in window that some users completely baby the engine. It is a proven fact that babying the new engine leads to improper seating of the rings in the cylinder. The rings never seal as completely as they could have and hence you experience some amount of regular oil consumption.

I am not stating that the owners are responsible for oil consumption in their cars but putting some food for thought out here. It is not possible to pinpoint the cause of each and every engine.

The companies know that the engines will be at the mercy of varied drivers and driving conditions- so they simply put in a clause saying X amount of oil consumption is normal. And as you can see already , a few have reported some consumption in this thread and others are saying no consumption. I'm also in the no consumption group.

But yes, oil consumption in our family budget(relatively) cars is not excusable. It can be excused in a car like, say, BMW M3 ( the M3 DOES eat oil) , but not in the Punto or Linea.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    1litre per 5000kms is extremely problematic on fiat engine. Recently one linea was having same problem and we finally took a plunge and opened the engine. I bet the 4th cylinder near the EGR valve has lost its piston rings. The inlet ports near EGR valves get clogged and form hard soot. If these soot particles enter the combustion chamber the piston rings are damaged.

In the 3 cases i have seen, only one cylinder near EGR gets damaged rest all shine like new.

First check the spark plugs for oil traces. Then check the compression in every cylinder. You will notice low compression in cylinder which has damaged piston rings. Change the piston rings and your car will be back to normal.
    2 people like this.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Was there any power loss in those cars. If a cylinder get damaged then it should affect the power?

MODS NOTE - Kindly quote only the relevant section of the post.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  4. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Not much. Not too much noticeable. Depends on extent of damage. Mileage had reduced by 2kmpl.
    1 person likes this.
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    How was the cylinder liner (wall)? Any scratches due to the foreign material? The dude must've been lucky he got away with only a ring change.
  6. Italia-Linea

Pune
    No there were no visible scratches on the wall. Even visibly the piston rings were perfect.
    But its the matter of microns :) , once important microns are gone hell breaks loose in combustion chambers.

Luckily just changing the piston rings did the trick. The car has driven 4000kms after that and there is not even 10ml drop in oil
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
  8. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    really informative thread this one is turning into. gurinder my car has run 31000kms. but the problem is from the beginning. some owners have confirmed to oil consumption. italia linea has really thrown light on a very interesting fact. can you please throw some more light on what i should do. that will b really helpful. i think now i should not let this problem persist. all this time i was thinking it is normal with all petrol lineas.
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    Is it really confirmed that the engine is consuming 1 litre every 5000km's?

The knurled part on the dipstick indicates 1 litre (if the petrol dipstick is the same as Multijet).

Just trying to get the basics cleared first of all.

Then, the next logical step should be a compression test and comparison with the values recommended by FIAT (TASS guys will be having it). Real easy to do it on the petrol engine. That would confirm the health of all the cylinders.

Cheers.
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Karan, can you open all the spark plugs and post the pics without cleaning them. I would like to see the tips of spark plugs.
    Also take torch and peep in each cylinder. Post pics if possible.