1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

engine oil consumption in 1.4 fire

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by karan desai, Oct 3, 2012.

1. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    my linea has been consistently consuming engine oil. it consumes @ 1litre for every 5000 kms. has anyone faced this issue. i know it consumes a bit but this much?? petrol owners do reply.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    How much has your Linea run till date. Have you been regularly topping it up with a litre every 5000km's?

Any leaks?
  3. anjith100in

anjith100in Timido

trivandrum
    Usually diesel consumes a bit during the run in period. But not this much. It could happen when the tuning is not perfect. Check for unusual smoke from exhaust, engine vibration, power variation.
  4. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Ah! You got my attention !

I am the owner of a Linea 1.4 and driven it almost 70000km. There is oil consumptio issue. But, its about 500ml every 5000 km.

I am facing this from Early days of ownership.

I had remapped my ecu @30000km. Its been the same story before and after. Maybe more now as i tend to revv more with the enhancements to my drive that makes it more fun to drive but at the cost of oil consumption being higher.

Its stated in manual that there will be oil consumption but it shouldnt be abnormal. About 400ml in 5000km i think.

Also , other european cars like vento are also known to have this oil consumption issue. I know of J Ravi sir carrying Oil can while on his long trips and regular topups in his 1.4 too

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I remember Manual has mentioned about the oil consumption. I will check for punto and reply.
  6. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    My Punto is not that old, hardly run 7.4K kms and I have noticed a heavy oil consumption as well. I got the servicing done in April but have noticed that it just gulps oil like nething
  7. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Even during first service @ 5600 Kms there was no need for engine oil topup in my Punto 90HP.
    My punto 90hp has clocked close to 10K kms now and havent noticed any such issue of oil consumption, will check the current engine oil level and revert here.

What did the FIAT/TATA service people say about the engine oil consumption?
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I believe the statement in the manual regarding oil consumption is just a fail-safe kind of thing from the manufacturer where a customer is expected to treat the oil consumption, an unnatural thing, as natural. It'll happen in some cases, and might not in others. So, to cover their bases, the manufacturer inserts an innocent looking line in the manual and the customer feels comforted.

That said, oil consumption even in today's day and age is quite widespread among cars from all segments and i really fail to understand why. Maybe the manufacturer is at fault or the driver (both are probable).

@ FastLove- Which oil are you using currently. Did you experience any change in consumption pattern on switching oils?

No. Not really. Neither during run-in nor afterwards on a healthy engine.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I have never noticed excessive oil consumption in my car.
    This is what the manual says.
    2 people like this.
  10. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    I stick to Selenia as recommended in the manual.

After having reported the oil consumption issue, TASS replaced the oil seperator @60000km service and asked me to observe. But there is hardly any improvement.

Btw, if the oil dissapears in some cars and not so in others, the question is where does this "oil consumed" go? Could this lead to a long term.problem? Any additional care to be taken in the case? Why would manufacturers give "Jhooti Tasalli ":confused::eek: if its a serious problem:confused:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2