1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil colour

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drgopusankar, Dec 23, 2011.

1. hello,

please share your opinion regarding the color of engine oil of mjd. my car has clocked 9000 kms now and now the color is black. Is it normal. there is no reddish brown color. the level remains within normal limits.
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Engine oil in MJD's have always been black in color as soon as they are poured in.Cuz they contain additives to keep the engine clean throughout the running.What you have to check is the viscosity of the oil.Use the dipstick to check the level and then slightly use your thumb and index finger to check viscosity by rubbing little oil between the fingers.Should be sticky enuff and thick.If not so then change ur oil ASAP.

Always change ur oil between 6000-7000kms.Good for ur engine health too.Always check oil level when engine is cold(morning) or kept overnight to cool so that you can get the correct level.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Its normal engine oil in diesel vehicles become black within 50 kms after oil change.
    Some members change oil every 7.5k kms and some follows manufacturer recommended drain interval, you have to decide what you want to do.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Darkening of the oil is perfectly normal and shows that the oil is doing it's job of collecting and retaining impurities such as soot etc.

I am a firm advocate of 7500km oil change interval in the interests of engine life.

Cheers.
  5. thank you all for your replies.I am going to approach TASC to change my engine oil next week.
  6. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    What about petrol engines?