1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil Change

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by vishnuramachandran, Nov 12, 2012.

1. vishnuramachandran

vishnuramachandran Novizio

Calicut
    Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi all
    My punto emotion 1.3 has clocked 7500kms within 4 months...and iam interested in engine oil and air filter change.What made my mind do it is because of the comparatively low mileage the car is delivering right of only 15.5kmpl according to MID.My run is around 85% in high ways maintaining a speed for around 40-70 in sedate driving conditions.The tyre pressure is maintained regularly.
    After driving my friends punto 1.3 (done with 4500kms)i felt that its more refined,smooth and quiet.
    1)What can be the reason for low mileage figures??Replacement of engine oil and air filter will it lead to better mileage figures??
    2)Should i stick on with selenia 5w40 for the next 7500 kms??
    3)i understood from the posts that there are other better engine oil available in the market.Which engine oil will u suggest??Should i go for it nw??or at service during 15000kms??
    4)If i should change the air filter or is there any provisions to clean it and insert back??
  2. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you decide to change engine oil at around every 7500 Kms. your engine is more than happy. If you change engine oil, try to change your engine oil filter aswell. Try to maintain at around 70-90 Kmph and see the change. MJD start opening up after we clock 10,000 Kms.

Slow speeds in high gear also can contribute to low mileage. Try upshifting to 5th once you cross 60 Kmph. If travel mostly 60+/-10 Kmph then stick to 4th gear, it is better. If you cruise over 70 then engage 5th and have the fun. Mileage(FE) starts dropping only when you cross 100 Kmph.

If you change engine oil for 7,500 Kms. intervals selenia is a good one to have. (Actually fiat says it can last for 15000 Kms). The only problem I changed to castrol edge is TASS fellows brought the engine oil in a loose can and I can not verify whether it selenia 5W40 oil or some low grade oil. If you get selenia oil in sealed can I suggest you can rely blindly on selenia.

When I changed to castrol edge I can feel very minor difference. For difference in cost involved between castrol edge and selenia I would have sticked to selenia, had I get selenia in sealed cans.

I humbly believe that air filter can last upto 15000 Kms. But it requires intermittent cleaning at around every 2500 Kms.

There are DIY threads on engine oil change, air filter cleaning and a/c filter cleaning threads in Do It Yourself section of this forum. Please, take time to go through that section. It will help you.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    It is always good to change your engine oil between 6500-7500kms.Nothing better than you gifting a long life to your engine :) Do change the oil filter everytime you change your oil.Selenia WR is a good oil but it's semi synthetic.You can opt for fully synthetic oils like Castrol Edge,Shell Helix,Total Quartz,Motul Xcess.Engine oil capacity is 3.2litres with oil filter.Change your fuel filter too.Also try filling diesel from a another fuel station and check mileage again.

Check tyre pressure.Maintain 32psi on all tyres.You can clean your air filter at a local garage by blowing pressurised air.
  4. Since you car is a MJD,don't' look anything beyond Mobil Delvac 1,this is the best oil out of what is available in the market.
    I have been using Mobil 1 since the days I was a petrol head and now Delvac 1 from last 20000 kms, I must say engine loves this oil.
    Cleaning properties of this oil Exceeds E4-E7 where are most of the other oils including shell is at least 2ratings behind.
    Refer to this site for more details
    Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible
  5. vishnuramachandran

vishnuramachandran Novizio

Calicut
    Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.3
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi All,

I do not know if i am asking this in wrong place, but is Shell Engine oil good for cars specifically FIAT (Punto)?
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  7. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @zenwalker

Advertise pe na jaao, apni akkal lagaao..Jokes apart.Shell Helix is good.Shell oils have good cleaning agents and keep the engine clean.Go ahead!!
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    hmm... i never depend on Ads. I been using shell oil for my bike for long time. So i know (from my akkal ofcourse ) thats its good. But was just wondering for car since i have no idea!
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  9. rohitrow

rohitrow

pune
    Always try & stick with OEM recommended grade and brand because they are designed for that particular application. It is possible that engine requires particular type of protection which OEM grade may be better equipped to provide. Some of the brands may offer superior features eg fully synthetic oils but difficult to attribute any significant advantage immediately these may only be seen at the end of lifecycle of engine. Typical higher costs/ltr may not be justified/recovered. More important is to use API certified oil of right specifications ensure that it is bought from reliable source, drained at specified intervals, use of OEM filter.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Not quite. The factory recommendations have to take in lot of considerations in mind most notably the cost of service. FIAT has provided quite an outdated oil spec for the Multijet which almost any modern oil worth it's salt easily surpasses. When switching to an oil such as the D1 , you only stand to gain.

It is only cost savings that led Maruti to prescribe mineral 15W40 (!!!) in the diesel Swift. Service cost = low = customer happy. Not sure if that is still the case.

So, kudos to FIAT for atleast giving us the semi-synth 5W40 grade as standard oil.