1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil change

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by sungoa2010, Dec 1, 2010.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Radiator fan works only after a specified temperarure.
    To check the working of fan Switch on AC and see if fan is running, if it's running all is fine.
  2. as Vijay mentioned the fan doesn't run all the time.5 Km is very short run plus since it was raining in Goa outside temp is pretty low too.Do a longer run and see if it works.If the fan doesn't function as expected you'll see the temperature needle rise.
  3. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Not necessarily required. If the outside temperature is cold, or the engine is not that hot, then the fan wont turn on. Its winter i guess.
    I understand, you have noticed this only on short trips; where the engine has not worked that much to heat up the cooling system.. to kick the fan on.

If u suspect a failure, keep an eye on the temp needle on the dash. If it crosses beyond the HALF way mark, then its a problem. Stop the car, turn it off and call the TASC or RSA.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks! Yesterday I have taken the vehicle for a 40 km continuous drive and the fan was working.
  5. ratanshivi

ratanshivi Regolare

Mald (East)
    Hey!

7500 Klms and no sign of top up at all, though the color has changed and become a couple of shades darker. Anyways the car is about to complete One Year so I am going to Have the oil change done any which way.. Let's see if the ride is any different will shout a Loud...
  6. adutt

adutt Amatore

New Delhi
    Oil going down 100gms per 1000km is normal as per my t-jets manual. I think should be same for Puntos and othe Lineas
  7. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    I never went for the oil top-up. I give servicing of my vehicle at about 5500 KMS, each service i go for the oil change, irrespective of oil is good or bad. I did check the dip-stick on few intervals and found oil level to be fine, of-course the color of the oil was little brownish during the oil change.

Am i doing something wrong here ? ~3.5 Lts is the oil required to change in my Palio 1.2.

Thanks
    Vasu
  8. adutt

adutt Amatore

New Delhi
    Vasu.... a top up is normally not required beacause the consumption as it is ...is very low. My Palio 1.2 do not lose oil at all. SO if you are using a normal oil ...changing it around 5-6k km is fine. I use Castrol Magnatec which i change after 8-9k kms.

Even if your car loses oil....it would be too low that in 5k kms, the oil would not have gone lower than half mark on the dipstick.

If you have never tried synthetic oil, try Magnatec...you will feel instant smoothness in your engine. It is a bit costlier than standard mineral for a Palio but works out to be cost effective as oil change intervals are longer.
  9. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore

Hi Adutt,

Thanks for the clarification. You mean using Castrol Magnatec ? Is there anything specific ratings i should be looking for ?

I use shell helix presently, not sure about the ratings tough :)

Thanks
    Vasu