1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil change

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by sungoa2010, Dec 1, 2010.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Hi, I have a query regarding engine oil change. Do we have to top up the oil frequently apart from that mentioned in manual?
    Will it help to get a better pick up.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    FIAT cars known for consuming very little oil in contrast to other Europeans like Skoda, VW, BMWs etc. who can empty the whole engine sump.

Topping the engine oil will keep the engine fit as low engine oil can be harmful. I don't think it will improve performance. :car
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    You can check the dipstick to know if the engine oil needs any topup.
    Engine oil consumption depends on many factors like temp. of engine, frequent start/stop, rpm at which you drive.
    Fiat engines drinks very low oil when I got the oil changed at second service the dipstick was only a 3 mm below full indication. (Unlike VW thirsty oil engines FIAT engines don't drink too much oil. It's very unlikely that you would need a topup)
    No you won't feel any performance increase after topping up oil.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    My oil level is below 3/4 th of maximum with 1060 km on odo and one and half month usage. I think for a new vehicle it should be full.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    A new vehicle always consumes some oil in it's run in period.
    When you would give the car for 3k service they will top up the oil if necessary and consumption of oil will stabilize.
    Also oil level should be checked when vehicle have been stationery for a hour or so. ( Oil takes some time to reach the sump)
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I have shown the engine oil level to TASS person and the level, according to them, should be more. They have done the top up. After that I am feeling more smoothness especially at high speed. I have to again watch for the level for next 1000K. If it again decrease there is some thing wrong.
  7. Engine oil levels can go down if daily running less than 5-6kms. Too many start/stops can also affect engine oil more.Keep an eye for engine oil levels and make sure it does not go down drastically.
  8. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    my car has done 9200kms. just top up the engine oil. bought a 4ltrs selineaK can for 2200rs. the dip stick was almost showing below minimum mark so a full litre went in. my engine oil has gone dark in color after 9000kms is it normal cos the color of oil in the pic above is quite clear.
  9. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

its perfectly normal. his car is new.. has covered 1060 kms.. nothing to worry about. it turns to a darker shade of golden.. as you reach closer to the service interval.

@ sungoa2010
    the oil consumption is not something that can not be predicted for every petrol fiat.. it varies from every engine..

My 1.4 punto's oil consumption was seen when I covered 8-9000 kms. In the early days there was no hint of oil consumption.. ( i always check all fluids every 2 weeks)

I dont think you need to be alarmed at the moment..
    If you find oil spots below the car's engine in your parking then there is a leak.. but that will not be the case. just drive.. the engine will get more smoother once you cross 6000 kms..
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I had a top up of engine oil to max level. One thing that I observed is that fan is not working. Earlier I remember even for a short trip it used to work and will stop once I lock the car with Remote key. 1.4 Owners please clarify this. I checked the manual and couldn't find anything about the fan. Today I drove 5 km with AC and after coming back found that fan is not on after turning off the engine.